don't click here

Sonic 2 Recreation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by redhotsonic, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    The controls are locked when you get moved to the beginning. The warp way isn't yet (and I don't know why either, my bad, lol).

So far on all 3 forums, The 1st question is a draw, and the second, everyone is favouring on keeping it.

It has? I never knew that.

That, my friend, sounds very good. I may do that.

2. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    A)
    and
    A)

I prefer it this way. And Puto's idea sounds good. I like it.

3. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I second this (or third...*looks at Sephy*) Reason being is it just makes sense. The whole re-finding the emerald thing makes no sense compared to this, especially if you were to keep the way that Sonic restarts a level after death.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or perhaps start fading out while the camera is moving backwards, then fade in already at the start point so it doesn't take too long.

5. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    On question one, I don't particularly care either way, but if you're going to do the whole scroll-camera thing (after dying), could you pause the timer while doing it, or wait until it finishes scrolling to reset it? Sure, it only takes a few seconds to scroll back to beginning/wherever, but like the timer resets before or during the screen scroll and that means that when it gets back to start and you regain control of Sonic, it's already been running for a few seconds, and that's kinda annoying.

As for the emerald thing, yeah, I'd rather not have to find the damn thing a second time if I turns out that I suck at not dying. I, personally, am not a fan of the "FIND TEH EMARALDZ!!!1" type thing, but that's entirely my personal opinion. So anything that reduces the number of times I have to do it is good in my opinion.

But that's just my opinion.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    The timer thing, that will happen soon. I just haven't got that far with it yet and don't want to go further with it until I definately know it's going to be in the game or not. That's why all your answers are helping.

So far, you only need to find the emerald once. Only one person has said find it again, everyone else saying keeping it. Looks like that keeping it has won.

EDIT: As for the dying restart, it's still pretty much a draw. More answers will be great, peeps!

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    DON'T lose the emerald if you die.

8. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    What annoys me with what happens when the player dies is that the collected rings don't come back, making the level much harder afterwards. I've got one or two game overs (one in Act 1, one in Act 2 because I had already lost too many lives) because I couldn't find any ring. Anyway, I don't like this new way; I'd rather see the good ol' way back.

Also, I support the emerald-checkpoint idea, unless an emerald is straight above a bottomless pit. If that happens, it might be better to specify restart coordinates that differ from the emerald's position. Just look at the emeralds in the demo: they are above ground, so if Sonic were to restart from the emerald, it would start mid-air and fall; I think he should start on the ground immediately, it makes more sense and looks more "professional" :P.

9. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

But by the time the camera actually GETS to the character, enough time would have passed for him to hit the floor. =P

10. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I guess I wasn't clear enough: please restore the old behavior when the player dies.

11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I never thought of that. I will look into it about the rings coming back to life. And I will try and make the screen go to Sonic faster (unless I try to put Iceknight's idea into play). So far, the new way is winning, but not by much.

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Bump and double post, but I've been given permission so take that!

As requested, here is an update on Sonic 2 Recreation. These are small updates though.

[​IMG]
    First little one is that I changed the intro text. I am still working on the credits text.

[​IMG]
    The second update is that you can now turn off and on Time Up. This is a handy little feature as you have to look for the emerald and it can be time-consuming.

[​IMG]
    Hard to see as a still but trust me, it looks better when playing. When you hit a warp (logo 1 only so far), instead of instantly going into the level, it shows stars twinkling away, showing that Sonic has warped away; similar to what happens in Sonic Advance 3. Tails will also twinkle away soon.

Another update but not worth posting a picture, is that if you hit any of the logos you're not meant to (like trying to hit logo 3 when you haven't even done the first level yet), instead of just simply doing nothing, it will push (bounce) you away. Just like the bumpers in CNZ. I am going to draw a red-cross logo for when you do hit them as they only flash right now. Thanks to Shobiz for helping me out with that.​

A bug fix now is that now the character's life logo now appears correctly. Before, sometimes when you switched character, the life logo never did. So you could be Knuckles saying how many lives Sonic has left. This does not happen anymore and switches correctly.

[​IMG]
    And finally, the HUD has changed its sprites and mappings. Please ignore the ‘E' I haven't been bothered to remove it yet.​

As you are all aware, the level-restart-routine had changed. Many of you liked and disliked this feature. Well, it is going to stay, but with a difference. As soon as you die, the screen will flash black quickly and you'll be at the restart point. No time wasting or anything. This is still a work-in-progress and shobiz is helping me with this.

Comments and questions welcome.

13. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    I can't beat the first level.

14. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    The level is relatively near the top.

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I think you mean emerald there =P
    Good to see some more progress on this.

16. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Um... I've tried playing the demo, but after level 1, that's it. I can't get into level 2... there's also no Knuckles character selection.

17. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

It switches to Knuckles on it's own when you go to the second level. =P

18. Soslocke, If I remember correctly, Zone 2 is incomplete. After you find the emerald and open the 'lazer door' , there's nothing after it so you fall and die...Though RHS, why did you leave so much space? (Unless you're planning on extending the level and relocating the emerald.)

Edit: Forgot the ) at the end =P

19. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Glide to the other side.

Also while this concept is unique, I don't think it works out very well. There are no pointers as to where the emerald is, and the level design is also a bit confusing.

20. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

If it wasn't confusing, it'd be too easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.