don't click here

Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, that boss absorbs the mega-mack with some vacuum device, and it's right where the other Sonic 2 boss is... So I'm positive that must be the CPZ boss, if somebody could make it load instead of the driller thingy we will know for sure.

Also, I think there's two Sonic 1 bosses, which are referred as boss1 and boss2. Or perhaps those might be references to these two, I don't know.

2. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
  3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm pretty sure they have the path switchers play the lamppost sound as a debug measure, so they know the path switchers are working properly, and that you passed one. It's not a bad idea, actually.

4. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Heh, right underneath where the pipe is in Hidden Palace Zone, there's a tiny platform you can stand on if you hold left just a little bit.

It isn't that big, either.

Attached Files:

5. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    I'm pretty sure this is known in the Wai beta as well.

6. jmr

jmr

Further evidence that this is the Nick Arcade build:
    I compared the Nick Arcade video with the opening of this beta. The 'pre-game demo' of Chemical Plant shown at 0:38 in the video matches frame-for-frame this proto.
    Also, if you load up the older, Simon Wai beta (I guess that's what I should call it), you can see that even though they've changed the level layout (in all except Hidden Palace Zone), Sonic still follows the exact same path. Because of the layout differences, the Simon Wai beta pre-game demos look like someone being sloppy with the controls. However, with drx's new-found version, one can see that's not the case.
    (also: I'm not very observant: I never noticed before that in the Simon Wai beta, the Sega logo still displays properly in-between the pre-game demos.)

7. mcbpete

mcbpete

Musical musicals Member
    Sorry for not adding more than a mere two cents. But major thanks for DRX for finding/buying and uploading this for everyone to download. It's great to be have seen the whole story evolve from the search for this elusive beta right through to the upload. Great stuff indeed, and a great (currently) 16 page read of findings too.

Thanks everyone ;)

8. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Seems this new proto set a new site visitor record.

drx does it again. :worship:

Now get hacking people! ;)

9. Damn, you guys are uncovering lots of stuff. I can't wait to find out what else is buried deep in its bowels...

10. Rail Road

Rail Road

This is just awesome drx. I can't even view though the whole topic because the server is full. :P

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'm still a bit confused on Labyrinth taking on Chemical Plants tiles in a very glitched way. And it still includes the ripple effects so I take it to guess that this is edited from the later version of Sonic 1.

12. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    Yeah no kidding. I couldn't even access the site most of the day. Kept receiving a too many connections error.
    It would be nice if whoever is in charge of the page these days, now that Simons gone, made a page of everyones discoveries. with 16 pages and counting, there are bound to be many repeat finds. That and the "Hmm I found this, but I'm sure its already been mentioned so I won't mention it at the risk of looking dumb." With a nice last updated note, so we would only have to check back in the thread X many hours. I just see this thread getting really cluttered and losing cohesion, and disoveries being overlooked.

13. Yea, there has been numerous connection problems all days. I feel sorry for whomever pays the hosting. ;)

Nice finds in the ROM guys.

14. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    drx, thank you. A lot.

15. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    [​IMG]

Why's this sprite here and what's it supposed to do? It's a weird sequenced platform type thing O.o

EDIT: and it's in act 1, so it's not something from ghz

EDIT 2: ...and just some random binary hacking stuff...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Level layout
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

htz act2: 29DD0
    final zone - 295CE
    hpz - 2CDDE, 2ADDE

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    level begin
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    ---------------------
    Sonic Starting points
    ---------------------

GHZ Act 1 - 5948

First level loaded (EHZ act 1) - 33D2
    Second level loaded (EHZ act 2) - BCE0

16. TeRaByTe88

TeRaByTe88

Pending Member
    Oh My God, this is @%&^# Awesome Drx. Personally, I think we should call this build the Drx Alpha and the other build the Wai Beta that way if we find any other prototypes, they can be named accordingly. but yeah, the only thing that will ever surpass this discovery of a S2Alpha will be finding a S1beta... awesome job Drx!!!

17. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Wait, if this was the proto in the VG&CE shots, then wtf?

Or if you'd rather not load a huge scan, there's a later Tails ending sign in the scan.

18. mroelandts1

mroelandts1

Pending Member
    what's the hex location for the end signposts so I can decompress them and put them in my hacks?

I love those signposts.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Way to ignore IceKnight's list. A trial member should at least try to search for informations. Oh well.

000A6B3C - Prototype end of level sign

20. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Regarding those screens from the mag - could be that the game they played was the cart we have, but they got sent proper screenshots from Sega. Remember, it was difficult to take shots of games back then, so most screenshots were sent along with the review carts.