don't click here

Sonic 2 Dimps Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Any plans to fuck up the jumping physics? It really would feel more like a DIMPS game if you could come to a complete stop mid-jump. I dunno how difficult this would be to add to Sonic 2's physics engine though.

2. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Green eyes aren't just Dimps, but super deformed spindash (not oval, really deformed) is. I can't recall another game where this happened and it was a constant in the advance series (though not on 4). The dust trails are a must though, not this.

3. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Add a noclip :D.

Pretty cool hack though, does the homing attack have an extremely short range when not near an enemy, and a giant range when near an enemy? Thats what sonic 4 and sonic unleashed do.

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The homing attack is a jump dash when there's no object to hit into. I haven't made any edits to the code aside from adding a sound effect and porting qiuu's code from Sonic 1 to Sonic 2. I will look at the short range for the jump dash however.

Here's a progress update:
    - EHZ, ARZ and DEZ have been completed in terms of booster placement.
    - CNZ is currently being worked on. I'd like to have at least the majority of the levels dealt with by tonight.
    - Bubbles is in the game. Selbi has found a working VRAM address. Don't know if they'll be in all levels in time though.
    - Other than speed boosters, homing attack and potentially Bubbles, it is highly unlikely that anything else will be implemented in time.

By the way, I've decided that dust trails won't be implemented. This game isn't solely taking the piss out of Sonic 4, it's taking the piss out of Dimps as a whole with their Sonic games. I don't care about green eyes or rolling after boosters too.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    SonicEpsilon: could you post in this topic so I can post the video
    SonicEpsilon: just to bump it in a way
    nineko84: I... have nothing to post :|
    nineko84: But I have an idea

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Unless my ears were deafened, you definitely gave the music worse synths. Nice touch.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I changed it as a test. It most likely won't be in the release.

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    It wouldn't be that time consuming to change all the songs to have that set of instruments, would it?

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I already did a few as a test and most of the time, they were ear-raping. However, here's a song which turned out good when it was Senoue'd.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Ohhh. Ear-raping suits what Senoue has shat out, though. :v:

11. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    That's not very Dimps-y... :(

The charge-up springs should be an autosequence where the camera moves behind Sonic, and then the spring charges automatically as the player performs QTEs in order to fill the boost gauge, before sending Sonic off on his merry way.

And every time the player gets a QTE right Sonic must shout "Yeah!", "Cool!", "All right!" or some similar cheery expression

12. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Why doesn't the music reset when taking a speed power up?

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I've tried to implement it and it doesn't work. Of course, someone better than me will know how to do it.

14. It's more Dimpsy to have the music just sped up to around 400BPM.

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Before I make the tile, should I use the OOZ half circle ramps, or try to make a new shape based on existing collision?

16. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    While the music having EVERY INSTRUMENT THE SAME is very fitting of Sonic 4, I'm not sure it fits Dimps in general; I liked a bunch of the Sonic Advance series' songs.
    The speed boosters directly before the elevators were hilarious, though :V

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Jun Senoue didn't work on Sonic Advance.

18. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    Haha this hack is pretty good. You should remove zones and import Labyrinth! (So you are left with 4 zones and the Sonic 2 final boss with worse music).

Oh! You could also import components (with permission) from the Sonic 2 hack where you verse every boss in Death Egg (Robotnik's Revenge?) and call it E.G.G. Station! xD (Now I realize where Sega/Dimps is getting their ideas o_0)

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    First of all, I'm not porting any levels. This is Sonic 2 Dimps Edition, not Sonic 1 Dimps Edition. Maybe some day I will make a Sonic 1 version.
    Also, if I wanted to make a boss rush I would fix things myself. It's just a thing for a future release.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Those were by Wavemaster, weren't they? They guys behind Chaotix as well, if I remember correctly.

Since this is going to be more based on Sonic 4 with the Bubbles and all, I think making all the soundtrack share the same instruments is very fitting, and awesome. They'll hopefully get it if they ever see this, and realize what went wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.