don't click here

Sonic 2 Development Lore

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimes, Apr 5, 2023.

Is it Miles or Tails?

1. Miles

21.0%
  2. Tails

17.4%
  3. Both

61.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Little stupid offtop:
    • Genocide City 3 is near the place where are Oil Ocean Zone was
    • Hoax of GCZ from early 2000s has background that similar to OOZ's
    • In hacks GCZ uses theme, that OOZ used in betas
    Why here is so much of Oil Ocean near the Genocide City?

Actually all of it is just joke, but anyway, looks funny for me

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think in-universe, Genocide/City City is supposed to be a hi-tech futuristic city filling whole the island, while its playable acts are set in the domed bases within it:
    upload_2023-11-11_12-47-19.png upload_2023-11-11_12-47-24.png

As for the backgrounds. While the city in CPZ looks like a generic modern city at first glance, looking closely, various details seem to hint at it being a futuristic city to me:
    upload_2023-11-11_12-45-25.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  3. RDNexus

RDNexus

Now that I think about it...
    Has anyone updated the "Development" section of Sonic2's page with the HQ images of the Alpha Westside Island?

4. Jaxer

Jaxer

Yeah, the name "Genocide City" specifically refers only to those three domes as far as I understood.

But that just begs the question, why is this one zone so spread out? The distance between acts 1 and 2 of GCZ is longer than the distance between all of CPZ and CNZ on that map.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm think that's supposed to be South Island, seeing how it looks similar to the map in S1SMS. It even has Green Hill, Wood Zone and Ocean Wind in the same places as S1SMS' Green Hill, Jungle Zone and Bridge Zone respectively.

Not to mention the very fact that EHZ was called Green Hill, implying that it was supposed to be the same location as the S1 level.

If GCZ is just the domes, that would be weird and mean that there are three separate locations called Genocide/Cyber City.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    come to think of it, I do find it kind of strange that Metropolis Zone isn't city-like at all. If anything I'd almost assume that it was referencing the film Metropolis, which uses a lot of art deco influences and was made in the 20s - if someone who just wanted to capture "a vibe", say, the ever-vague Steampunk vibe, gears, pistons, and steam would be the way to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Now that I think about it, if the Future Era had Sonic wrecking the island and setting it ablaze with tons of explosions...

Didn't Generations use beta concepts here and there?

8. Jaxer

Jaxer

Who's to say that it was Sonic who destroyed the island? Maybe Eggman fired the Neo Death Egg's laser in an attempt to prevent Sonic from reaching him.

Come to think of it, that would actually make a lot of sense, especially if the erosion in the ruined present was caused Eggman testing the regular Death Egg.

9. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    re: Metropolis, I was curious so I took at look, and it's undoubtably inspired by the movie. Just look at the opening visuals. (around the 3:20 mark)

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    This is admittedly off-topic, but I just want to say that Metropolis is an amazing film and is well worth watching in full if you haven't seen it before. You're doing yourself a grave disservice if you don't.

I'd also like to add that movies back then had intermissions like a stage play where the audience could get up, use the restroom, get snacks, chat with fellow attendants, etc. So yeah, I know the movie is long, but don't be ashamed to take breaks on it, that's how this kind of movie was designed.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  11. Jaxer

Jaxer

By the way, I've noticed that half of Beep21's first Yamaguchi interview is actually locked behind a paywall.

IMG_20231113_111553.jpg

So if anyone has 500 yen to spare, we could see if there's more unseen material in the rest of the interview.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    the fact the plot of the movie revolves around a robot doppleganger of one of the hero characters always struck me as too coincidential, too.

13. I clicked this

I watched all the way up to the halfway point

I wasn't expecting one of the most beautiful masterpieces of cinema I've ever seen in my life. You should warn before posting something that can derail someone's entire day like that. ;)

14. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    I was just doing a little research into this and uh...
    If Google Translate's anything to go by, you're telling me Tails was supposed to be trapped inside this motherfucker?? Has anyone noticed this before? It's kind of blowing my mind right now. I was just looking for (what I thought to be) Mecha Godzilla influence but now I'm thinking Robocop might've been one too, especially considering the sequel had recently come out.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Damn, very cool if true and too bad they didn't do anything with that concept in the games. Not like they would have had any knowledge of that concept art, but it makes me think of the Archie comics rendition of that version of Mecha, where Sonic ends up getting all up in him and using him as a mech suit. Probably one of the hypest moments of that whole series for me reading it as a kid.

16. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Yup. Judy talked about it on Twitter.
    Incidentally, I asked a buddy of mine, and this was his translation:
    So Tails being inside it was just an idea that was proposed, not something truly planned. The words "supposed to" and "intended to be" used on stuff like the wiki are misleading. Although, I guess it's possible that it was truly planned, back during the time travel phase of development. But it's looking more and more like that whole era was just a bunch of rough concepts and they had no clue how it would all piece together.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    Might just be a coincidence but I notice the sketchier (and presumably earlier) Mecha Sonic drawings have a somewhat canine/Tails-looking muzzle.

Was wondering what "play a song from Sonic" meant. Guess that's AI for you. Really love the ring vacuum idea. Would've been a more interesting/fair challenge to have to fight over a small amount of rings in DEZ instead of just being given none from the start.

It's funny to me that the Tails idea was seen as too dramatic. I imagine Tails popping out of a defeated Mecha and you and him taking down the Death Egg Robot together could've actually been a really cute and satisfying plot beat more than anything. Sure I guess there's light body horror implications or whatever but I don't know why that wouldn't apply to the other animals trapped in badniks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Maybe one of these days we'll see a boss that does something like that, who knows!

19. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Well let's assume Tails and Sonic take down the Death Egg Robot together. The Death Egg explodes.

...How do they survive? In the final game, Tails catches him with the Tornado. But if they're both up there, who saves them? I can think of two possibilities:
    1. Tails grabs Sonic's hands and floats down to the ground with his tails. This explains why he can do it in later games.
    2. Mecha Sonic was the boss of a previous zone, not the Death Egg. So while he does save Tails in GCZ, he ultimately fights the Death Egg Robot alone.

20. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    It's just crediting Dreams Come True in regards to the game's soundtrack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.