don't click here

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    UGH. I am SO over this stupid little charade. Why is he/she playing the same little area over and over again. Why was there no title card? Why is it only doing Green Hill? Why is the room so dark? Don't want us to see the computer screen?

At this point, homes needs to put up or shut up. Either show more levels/show the cart and or EEPROM/ dump the cart/come clean, or go back to the cave he/she crawled out from. This farce has gone on long enough.

2. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    im giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and believe that is real.
    Perhaps it could be a pirated cart of some sorts or maybe a really REALLY old build of Sonic 1 or a pre-demo or something of some sorts...
    Let's hope that there will be answers soon, but right now he is 'kinda' listening to us :v: we asked for a title screen and he did! Let's hope it doesn't end there

3. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    This 100%. Even just showing us the cart would give his some leverage, but no, he's sticking to just gameplay. If this is truly the demo from the Tokyo Toy Show, there should be more freakin' levels.

4. Digiku

Digiku

Oldbie
    Is that a straight black fade-in at 0:14, or a paletted fade-in? I can't tell, but a straight black fade-in would be an obvious giveaway for fake.

5. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    Shouldn't someone just trash this topic now? I mean it's obvious they're just listening to fan feedback
    That or move it to Fangaming Discussion

Wouldn't mind actually playing it tbh

6. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Fake. As soon as I saw the sign, I knew. I checked the real screenshot on the wiki and the font is different. I would post explanatory pics but I'm on my phone. Take a look for yourself.

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    He had me at the fade. It's fake. :v: In the Genesis games, the colors don't fade so smoothly.

8. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Wow, he even used the hidden credits from Sonic 1. This guy knows his stuff.
    EDIT: Also, the slope at the welcome sign in his version is off.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    No, he doesn't know his stuff. Why is this still a thing?

10. The Parasprite

The Parasprite

Sonic Rewind
    You know, if he showed us the cart, I might actually think it's real. But, at this point, I'm calling it fake.
    Or, he could do a ROM dump. That'd be nice too.

(Yay for more wasted trial posts!)

11. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    What I meant was 'did his research.' I didn't see the hidden credits mentioned in this thread.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Retro is not the center of the Sonic universe. I know, sometimes that fact shocks me too! What I'm saying is that someone else could easily have said that, and if he were paying attention to this thread, specifically, then he missed a shitload of other stuff and he's an idiot.

In fact, he's still an idiot.

13. Tylinos

Tylinos

Maybe it's just my imagination, but didn't he already show that spot in an earlier video, with no sign there?

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    He did. Personally I think he'd get a lot more respect if he just revealed this to be a fan game recreation of Sonic 1s early Green Hill from the get-go. The level a pretty faithful rendition of the original scans too, so shame it's being used this way.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Just going to repeat what Steelbrush said because when I saw the tile screen I knew it nailed itself as fake. The picture from the Tokyo Game Show shows that the ring Sonic is in is in a different position to the one on in the video

[​IMG]

16. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    He is right. The font for 'Welcome', while close, is not wide enough, leaving more space between the letters and the edges of the sign. Also the original does not appear to say 'Green Hill' on it, whatever it does say is not written in English. I'm now calling fake. There is no doubt about it. It is a pretty decently good fake however.

17. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I haven't added my input yet because I usually don't post when others have already said what I wanted to say, but the tree is too tall compared to this screenshot:

[​IMG]

I like this fan game, although none of us have seen footage from GHZ when it was in its super early beta stage, so it's too hard to say the gameplay was actually like this. After seeing the second video I would love for this to be real but it's probably not.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    LOL Steelbrush is a girl.

19. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    This is THE ultimate proof it's a fake. If anyone still believes it's real knowing this, then nothing will convince you.

20. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    That's a cropped screenshot from a mag, so that means nothing. Screenshots are regularly cropped oddly in magazines, even today (albeit much less so than in the old days). What's more telling to me is the way Sonic's eyebrows look (and more specifically, the size of his right pupil as compared to the retail game). Also, the stars on the left and right side of the banner don't touch the stylized SONIC logo in the legit proto, but they do in the retail game (and in this video). More specifically, the "SONIC" logo itself is not as wide in the early build (it looks to be about the same width as the inner yellow ring, and the words "THE HEDGEHOG" look to fit almost exactly between the S and C as spaced, while in the retail game "THE HEDGEHOG" looks to "only" be the combined width of the letters ONI). I don't believe this is an authentic prototype, although I'd be gobsmacked to be proven wrong (as would every other naysayer, I surmise). I do believe it might be an actual ROM, though, just not an authentic one.

Still, at least one positive thing came of this hoax - it got people thinking and looking and as a result we'll soon have two brand new and never seen (by us) before scans of this build of Sonic 1. To me, there are only two things that would make me happier:

1) Authenticated video of the prototype running and showing off new stuff
    2) A dump of the cart itself, should it still exist anywhere

I doubt either will ever happen though. Hell, I believe it's more likely we'll get a dump of that late S1 prototype that's known to exist in private hands (with "RING" HUD and end-of-level-punching-Sonic sprites).