don't click here

Sonic 1 - Beginner's Luck/Mobius Adventures

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by amphobius, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    If I recall correctly the first time we heard about the version with the spike bugfix was with Sonic Jam, but right now we know the version included there was probably developed exclusively for Sonic Jam.

Some other random facts:
    - Sonic 2 was built from S1 REV01. The header (even the checksum) of the NA proto matches with the rev 01
    - S&K lock-on stuff only checks for rev 00 and 01, which means there wasn't a rev02 released by that time.
    - The version included in SMC is a damn hack :/ Even the serial has '01' as the revision number (00004049-01)

So, yeah, it's not a real REV02.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The games in Sonic Jam weren't reprogrammed from scratch?

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, they were ported from the original source, so I'm assuming spindash and other fixes would have been made AFTER the games were fully ported over; in other words, the "spike bug" was "fixed" within the Saturn port, not before.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Oh, well, either from scratch or ported, it means they're Saturn code and not emulated Mega Drive code, right? I seriously highly doubt you can emulate the Mega Drive fast enough in a Saturn.

5. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Yes. In short, the code was directly converted to SH2, and then they pseudo-emulated the rest things to make it work. That's it, a relatively quick port.

But I'm not sure about the S1 version with spindash and bugfixes being done after porting it to tell the truth. There might have been an in-house genesis version at some point of the development of Jam.

I remember I tracked down the SH2 spindash code for this version a few years ago, and I don't think it took any advantage of the actual hardware at all, it's perfectly possible that was ported as well.

6. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    Puplic beta? Does that mean a puppy named beta will come out and lick me if I download it?

7. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    XDDDDDDDDD

8. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    LULZ WERE HAD!
    -------------------------

Nah, it means while he was making this, a puppy was licking his balls. =P

EDIT: Disregard that.

9. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Seems nobody read the edited first post, I think I'll post the new beta (again)

I've revamped the Green Hill Zone boss. Also, Marble Zone had a few edits, and I'm going a bit more hardcore on it. The hack has also changed to Mobius Adventures, as Beginner's Luck is just plain crap right now. And, the character code doesn't like me.

CREDITS:
    Chimpo - Releasing the Sonic sprites.
    Qjimbo - SCD style spin-dash guide.
    Other wiki contributers - for the amazing guides.
    Nineko - XM3SMPS and the sample songs on XM2SMPS release page.

Screen1
    Screen2
    Screen3
    Screen4
    Screen5

NEW BETA

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

You are sure hardcore enough to post screenshots in BMP for it!

11. amphobius

amphobius

life
    No, that's just me being lazy.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Don't expect any praise for your laziness then, as I simply won't bother with this hack.

13. A few things:

1) The spikes for GHZ's boss do not show up correctly. After a few seconds, they turn into glitchy red blocks like in your first picture.

2) The stage clear music plays again after the score is tallied.

3) The spindash feels weird to me as it focuses the camera down AND Sonic hovers above the ground. Also, he doesn't seem to get much acceleration from it.

4) I'm hoping the beginning of MZ act 1 was a work in progress, as several rising platforms are popping out of the ones that were still there. Also, there's no signpost for the end of the act and the Special Stage ring is nearly offscreen.

edit: Well, Tweaker put it quite succinctly. There are enough hacks of Sonic games that lack effort floating around. Show us what makes yours different.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Word of advice: BMP never flies. If you want to post pictures up, track down a tool called Giffy, which will convert those bitmaps into gif images without the the horrible color blurring Paint's known for.

...Or are you "too lazy" to even do that?

15. amphobius

amphobius

life
    Few things.
    I do not know how to make the spikes un-garbled. Tally thing is already fixed, and spin-dash is now less buggy, Marble Zone has also got the end of act finished. That, is an out dated (Probably revision thirty-something?) beta. I'll probably finish my Labyrinth Act 2 object layout today, as well fix the start of Marble Zone along with a new section of Green Hill Zone Act 2. I've also fiddled with Star Light Zone's pallet (again) and finally, made some edits for Green Hill Zone's art. Music still hasn't been finalized, and now I've got loads of choices for music in Green Hill Zone. I've used Nineko's guide for multiple songs on a Zone, (which actually worked) and ground speed-cap removed.

You'll get a new beta soon, with new things.

16. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Hm, a hack od Sonic 1 with SSD's old sprites, which were made by Chimpo? Seriously, do not want.

17. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Fabulous !!
    Your Sonic sprites looks like so nice. And the easier levels aims your hack to contrary from the mine, that's the Harder one. Hahaha !
    You've done an wonderful work with your hack. I love this. :)

18. amphobius

amphobius

life
    Right, new invincibility music, ported by Edwardo Knuckles. Hitaxas, I FUCKING love the sprites, heck I even asked Chimpo if I could use them. But, don't worry. I'm also working on a set of sprites to replace the Sonic. However, I'll keep Chibi Sonic as a separate character, you use a code to use him. That better?

19. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Don't jump to conclusions like this too fast. This is similar to the old hex version of my hack. Also, sprites are the same too.

compare the faces of these 2 sonic sprites:

My hack

HIS hack

Eh, whatever... The original chibi sprites were OK compared to the ones I have.

20. amphobius

amphobius

life
    I see differences in the sprites, (In other words, the sprites I'm using don't have a black background)

EDIT: Can someone split the unnecessary posts please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.