don't click here

Sonic 1 - Beginner's Luck/Mobius Adventures

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by amphobius, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Sonic 1 - Beginner's Luck

What is it?
    This is a hack, in which Sonic the Hedgehog has been made easier.
    What is in the game?
    Currently there are some art changes with level select, HUD, Sol Emeralds, and the SCD 510 beta sign-post.
    What is planned?
    • Mighty as a playable character
    • New level select
    • New title screen
    • Different art for Sonic.
    I have been advertising this enough now, so here is a public release of the (uncompleted) Sonic 1 Beginner's Luck. As SonEd2 won't edit Green Hill as the graphics are fucked up, someone will need to help me with that part so I can edit Green Hill.

Final Zone has some improvements, plus a fun box once you kill Robotnik - an invincibility box. When you start, spin-dash to get the Shield and 50 rings (You heard, 5 ring boxes, but I forgot to update. Enjoy not working goggles and "S" Monitor. I suck, don't I?).

Main part of this release is the spin-dash (Thanks Puto) and some art (Thanks SCAA).
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/a8vvig (Old beta)

Right, new beta. No new characters YET, the code still doesn't like me. Thank god for backups.
    Sonic's sprites have been almost been finished, allough I should (and must) give credit to Chimpo for releasing the sprites. Instead of a new post (which would be my 20th) I am recycling this one. Screens below.
    Forgot to mention that the ending sprites were edited by me(The "endsonic" file in artnem) as there were no Sonic sprites for those. Screens now.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1646387_s1built021.bmp
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1646405_s1built031.bmp
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1646428_s1built033.bmp
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1646426_s1built036.bmp
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1646427_s1built039.bmp

NEW BETA

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Do you have any screenshots? I'd like to see what I'm downloading before I do so.

3. amphobius

amphobius

life
    <!--quoteo(post=182246:date=Feb 29 2008, 03:22 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Feb 29 2008, 03:22 PM) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Ugh, use a better (and smaller filter) It looks too blurry. I prefer the super2xsai (or whatever the name is) Also, I don't see anything too new or major. Sure, you have art from the SCAA and a spindash (which there is a guide for). BUT, what is supposed to be cool/new or awesome with this hack? A new character? New moves? New music? The Sonic 2 engine? what?

Edit: Nevermind. but, still... I think this was too early of a release.

5. amphobius

amphobius

life
    Which it is. I can't port music yet. I am working on art for Blaze/Manic. I also am working on new layouts. I also have Sonic 2 Beginner's Luck to work on. Not to mention school. My life sucks.

IF you want to help, you can e-mail me. It will be VERY appreciated. Now I'm off to fire up SonED2 and edit Labyrinth Zone.

6. amphobius

amphobius

life
    Better shot quality, an AniGif showing that I've fixed the spike-bug. Next up is to get the REV01 bg in. Then SonED2 for Marble Zone. :P Personally, Green Hill is easy enough now with-out the spike-bug.
    [​IMG]

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  8. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I've also wondered why nobody disassembled the REV02/REVXB of sonic 1, then the spike bug would be fixed officially.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Aside from the fact that recent information leads me to believe that it isn't really a bug as much as it's just alternate gameplay behavior, REV02 from Mega Collection is actually just a hex edited version of REV01, likely made just for Mega Collection. It would be a better idea to simply disassembly REV01 and compare the differences between it and REV02, then applying those changes to the REV01 disassembly. That would essentially be a full disassembly of REV02 with tons less work involved. :P

10. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Just a stupid question, if REV02 is hex edited, how did Sega do it? Normally one should think they had a disassembler and such, but then they could have just used the original source code. Or does Sega know about this place and is using the tools you make? (I have one but I didn't release it yet due to it's extremely primitive stage)

Oh, OK, that's just drama. Ignore it. But seriously, it takes more time figuring out where is each instruction located in a binary than in the source code unless you have a list of pointers. And I don't think Sega ever bothered doing such a table ever :/

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I thought we established Sega not having the source code to the Megadrive Sonic's any more?

That'd explain the hexediting.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That establishment is quite outdated—we've learned that was a load of crud, and, in fact, they've been whoring out the source code a fair bit lately. Remember Sonic Mobile? Sonic 1 for iPod? Both ported from the original source.

I guess they lied about losing the source so they could get away with emulating it on twenty different platforms. Can't say for sure, but that seems like the likely reason.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fair enough.

This however does bring up the question of why the FUCK Sonic 1 GBA was allowed to exist. SMC and the like are obvious - it's quicker and lazier to do emulation rather than porting on a system that can handle it.

14. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Because you all kept asking for the source code of prototype versions :P Probably they have the final source codes for all of their games. Man, actually I would be surprised for somebody who makes programs (in general, not just games) and does not save the source code >_>

15. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Im looking at you steve

Where do you get the idea it was made just for SMC. It's common knowlege there was a third revision of sonic 1 with the spike feature (lol see what I did there) modified before SMC was ever announced, hell before gamecube even existed.

16. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Not to mention the suspicious similarities between the Sonic Advance engine and the genesis ones.

Sonic 1 GBA was probably developed by a departament of SoA, with SoJ not giving a heck about it nor passing them the real source.

The fact it's just a hack, which IIRC even overwrote part of the header for the extra code, doesn't make it look too much like an official revision if you ask me. A third revision may have existed, but the "REV02" in SMC is not that one if so.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I thought the opposite was common knowledge (that it was just a quick hex hack for Mega Collection). So what did I miss?

18. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Er... Sonic Classics? (not sure really, but at least Sonic 2 has been modified there)

19. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    I believe that one actually uses REV00.

20. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    As far as I'm aware, the info was posted on Cult's Sonic 1 section back in 2001 or so. That's how I first heard about it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.