don't click here

Shadow in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by FeliciaVal, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    One thing which nobody seems to have mentioned yet: Are you going to add the light dash? I find that it is one of Shadow's signature traits, since he's had it in almost every game he's been in. I know it won't be too useful in Sonic 1, but it'd be cool.

Other than the palette errors, this is pretty cool. I hope you won't be adding vehicles and guns. :P (I know you probably won't add vehicles, but I'm just joking.)

2. Clutchy

Clutchy

That One Insane Guy Member
    Man, a lot of nice hacks that I would love to Let's Play. I think I'll make one of this game too, haha.

It's a very nice hack, it has it's problems... but hey, nothing is perfect.

I'm also not entirely sure if this has happened to anyone else, but the Jump Dash has occasions where it decides not to work for me. It might be my controller dieing, I'm not sure, but just wanted to give you a heads-up.

3. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    Emerald Master: I don't mind at all :) thx for your video ^^

EduardoKnuckles: uhm...why should I change the HUD back to yellow? I like it red XD

Shade Vortex: I don't know how to program a light dash yet, so I don't think I'll implement it. And don't worry, no guns or vehicles XD

Clutchy: thank you very much. Yeah it happens to me too, the jumpdash doesnt work perfectly and I have no idea why

4. Clutchy

Clutchy

That One Insane Guy Member
    So I've came to the conclusion I'll let's play this hack. In fact, Let's Play most new hacks coming out. I'll probably Let's Play it after I do an LP of Mighty in Sonic the Hedgehog. Link and everything of course will be in the description relating to the hack. Just wanted you to know.

I'll probably edit this post once I decide to do the Let's Play video.

5. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    that would be awesome if you do :) thank you very much for your interest on this hack

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You know... it would be really awesome if, at some point in certain levels, you could snatch Robotnik's drilling car. Just saying.

7. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Would be awesome for an Eggmobile fight, like Robot Wars XD

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I know you like the hud that color and all, but you should make an alternate version for people who just like S1 the way it was with just a new character added.

As for moves, maybe a chaos control type of teleport like how sonic battle did his air dashing. Super may be nice, but it wasn't really apart of S1 so I wouldn't take time out to do such coding.

9. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Because it would be better to view the art. And because the original art is yellow.

10. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    ill try to make an alternate version with yellow hud then

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

You can likely do this easiest by switching the HUD to use the second pallette line (which always has yellow shades), however since the flashing red always reflects a color on the same column of a different line I can't guarrantee it will come out red (the yellow is on the same position as the red on Sonic's pallette, the springs for example are the same sprites with different pallette lines, hense why changing the color line of one changes the other). This is why my Sally hack flashes yellow and blue or Amy flashes yellow and orange.

12. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I think I mentioned something similar about this on another hack you did. When Shadow does the kicking animation then returns to standing animation, it's like he moves forward a little too much. I'd suggest moving the kicking sprites a few pixels forward to make the animation look fluid.

13. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    E-122-Psi: sounds good, I'll try doing that
    Hitaxas: mmm ok, I'll take a look at that too, but SonMapEd is being mean to me lately so maybe it will take a while

14. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    New revision up:

* Fixed skating animation
    * HUD is back to yellow, except for the Shadow life icon that still remains red but I hope nobody minds that, if not for the next revision I'll try making it yellow again.

Still a long way to go...

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qnmi448rjs112o8

15. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The end level text is partially red still. The red lives text isn't as jarring a difference as the red rings text.

16. REPO Man

REPO Man

You forgot Sally Acorn in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Now, call me when we can see:

* Bunny Rabbot in Sonic 1 (she's got a frikkin ROBOT ARM!! AND TWO ROBOT LEGS!!)
    * Rouge the Bat in Sonic 1 (basically Knuckles in Sonic 1 with a massive palette hack and perhaps some custom sprites)
    * Super Mario in Sonic 1 (ditch the Super Speed in favor of wicked awesome jumping skills)
    * Sonic in Mushroom Kingdom (porting graphics from Mario games and make the levels in Sonic 1 look like Mario levels)

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'd rather we not got back to that era.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=528

Also nice refinements, Feli (I guess you found out how to fix that glitch then). You'll need to edit the CONTINUE and BONUS font to have the same color however (which are in different files).

19. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    thanks, I'll try to fix them for the next revision

20. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

Ooh, there's another one that can be done, but I won't mention it because I'm already doing it and I want it to be a surprise :ssh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.