don't click here

Sega's RingEdge and RingWide.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Blitz, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Business execs who've seen how much money World of Warcraft rakes in though a monthly subscription. That's about it =P

2. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I take it you have never used steam?

3. I hope this turns out to be a new SEGA home console.

4. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    So apart from "do the tiniest bit of fucking research before believing rumours", what else can I say? Oh yeah: visit Arcade Heroes if you care about the arcade games hitting these platforms. Link's in the sig.

If by "years" you mean "one year" - and nearly to the day, at that.

EDIT: This is NOT a new home console announcement. These are ARCADE BOARDS, in production now and being used in games such as Border Break and Sega Racing Classic. This cannot be made more clear.

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    ...Hell, SRC is running on them? I suppose they could have "pumped up" the graphics a little... It looks exactly the same as the old Model 2 but in 720p. At least they should have used the Daytona 2 models...even the shadows flicker like in the old Model 2!

6. D:
    Someone needs to change the topic title before more people get their hopes up. :flunked:

7. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    I'm surprised Retro hasnt known about this.

I've been keeping tabs on the Ring Edge for months.

While it looks like a arcade board, there's been a bunch of patents like controlls, classic/genesis-like controllers, memory cards floating around.

That and some of the names that they use when describing the RingEdge pretty much scream "home console" such as "stand alone video game machines" which is in the us patent for the Ring Edge/Wide IIRC.

8. Syniphas

Syniphas

also known as Svetlana Member
    Brazil
    It's a computer.

It uses the same fucking processor as mine, (almost) the same graphics card as mine, and the same ammount of RAM.

It's a motherfucking computer and at the same time I have the new Sega home console available right now.
    Excuse me while I play some awesome racing games on it like 1990's classic Stunts.

9. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Dude, don't get me started on Sega Racing Classic. It is just Daytona USA running in 720p, without the eight player mode (maximum is reduced to four), the theme song or the official licence. A lot more work could have been done, but this is aimed at those operators who are still running the original Daytona USA 16 years after release. The hope is that they'll be lured by the promise of the same game (which still earns consistently today), running in a cabinet which is in tune with modern expectations and easier to source repair parts for. Of course, Sega's arcade games are very costly and this fact alone will likely kill SRC stone dead.

It doesn't just look like an arcade board, it is one - fact. I'll say it again - Ringedge boards are out there powering Border Break now, and they'll be used for Let's Go Island in the future. Ringwide is being used for Sega Racing Classic and third party games such as the new Melty Blood. This isn't speculation or assumption, this is reality. I have seen these machines in action and they are arcade machines.

Patenting memory cards means fuck all, too. Arcade games have been using various forms of memory cards for years, and I have five for four different games sitting in my wallet. As for "stand alone video game machines", that is not a phrase which applies any more to consoles than arcade machines. In fact, given that a new arcade machine is typically sold as a complete unit, as opposed to a console which hooks up to an external display, I'd say that "stand alone video game machines" is far more applicable to the Ringedge / Ringwide arcade reality than the console myth.

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    [​IMG]

11. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

It looks like you're implying the PSPgo was something consumers wanted. Sony would have said that at the time. More recently, even Sony has recognised that the system was a non-starter:

"We wanted to find a way to give the consumers what they want, so if they didn't want to go to a retailer they could stay at home and download [games and content]. And we were hoping really to eliminate the piracy issue. Did the PSPgo confuse [consumers]? Yeah, I think the higher price point didn't help matters any either" - Rob Dyer, Senior VP Publisher Relations, SCEA

PSPgo sales have been shocking and don't ever expect that to change.

12. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I wonder if it'll be possible to rip the games out of these, as was done with BlazBlue? It would certainly be interesting to have a PC port of Daytona.

13. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    How's the YM2162 emulation? Also does it have a YM612? If not then its shit.

14. Wow, I just read up on that, and didn't realize that Blazblue leak was literally the arcade game. o.o

As for Daytona USA PC, I assume you mean a "GOOD" PC Port;

15. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

Steam is one way to get games for the PC, another is buying them from a shop. Not what I'm getting at.

Oh, and fuck the PSPgo.

I'm doubtful SEGA can support a home console again. They don't need the ignominy of backing out of the console business a second time. Besides, if they did decide to pioneer a game console that didn't use physical media like game discs, I imagine they would not only do badly, again, but the other companies would learn from their mistakes and use it to their advantage. The 360 already has retail games for the 360 that can be bought in DVD form, available for download from Xbox Live. It's only a matter of time until physical media will be cut out of the loop.

Digital distribution is the fucking future. :colbert: /moan