don't click here

Sega of America originally wanted to use its own music for Sonic 2

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Gryson, Mar 8, 2021.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The one defense I will make for the US soundtrack is that even when it was rushed to hell to create, I'd argue Spencer Nilsen did often create songs that fit the appropriate atmosphere of the stage.

My ultimate Sonic CD OST is a deliberate blend of both soundtracks, frankly, and I'm still annoyed that I can't switch between them in real time in any post 2011 ports, or even with mods.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I've seen quite a few GameBanana requests for the ability to switch between the two soundtracks for different acts (excuse me, rounds). Honestly, It's something I would like to see as well since it would an ideal solution to the "which soundtrack" problem.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, completely ice cold take but I think both soundtracks are very much fantastic on their own right and I’d be a like bastard if I said my preferences didn’t swing between each Zone.

On the JP side, I love Palmtree Panic, Collision Chaos, Quartz Quadrant and Metallic Madness, whereas I have bias towards the US OST for Tidal Tempest and Wacky Workbench, not to mention the Special Stage music. Stardust Speedway is amazing in each, though the JP version may edge things out for me there.

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'm with you on that. Pre-2011 I had my SEGA CD copy of it rigged up with my favourite songs from either soundtrack. Nowadays I usually use the JP soundtrack when playing as Tails and the US soundtrack when playing as Sonic. But I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now that you can play as Knuckles through modding.

5. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

I figured this might be slightly related, even if it is an April Fools joke.

While STI could get some good music made for their games, I feel like a lot of their work would've sounded like this if they had gotten their way with Sonic 2.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    :V:V
    By using Emerald Hill, you give them way too much credit. Even with crap instrumentation, a good bop can still remain a good bop. :v:

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    This to me feels like the audio equivalent of 2019 movie Sonic versus 2020 movie Sonic.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    (off-topic)

What did you use to make the separate visualizations for each individual channel? I'd like to make something like that, but all the programs I found don't work in Windows XP, and you might point me to an alternative that does.

9. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Oh, to be clear this wasn't my work lol. This was created by Savaged Regime. I can see where there might be some confusion, my bad for not clarifying.

10. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    Not to get off topic, but Savaged Regime did a good job with that one, kinda sounds like what Emerald Hill might've sounded like with a past remix.

11. cartridgeculture

cartridgeculture

Wiki Contributor Member
    Savaged Regime rocks. Here are some absolute bangers:

12. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    That Angel Island past/present/futres concept is awesome!