don't click here

Sega encourages us to keep making great Sonic fangames

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Oh yeah, in no way is that not a better outcome than tossing out DMCAs, just... I feel like people have always talked about the SoRR situation like there was no precedent for Sega to take it down. Right now, older game developers are putting their old games up for resale on new platforms all the time, and they expect to get a profit from that. It would be REAL COOL if that wasn't such a weirdly big focus for the market right now, but it's what they want to do, and it's gonna affect how they deal with fan projects like SoRR and AM2R.

I would absolutely pay for a Sega-endorsed/funded release of SoRR, and yeah, it would make their fan-game-approving sentiment much stronger.

2. Felik

Felik

Speaking of which is it really so easy to do that? Typically fan projects of a big scale have a ton of people working on them at some point. You can't just toss a license to whoever is the project leader because said people can rightfully attempt to sue you for using their work without permission.
    I don't know how Black Mesa project made it to have a commercial release but for example Dota franchise had to go through a lot of trouble.

3. Vitiman

Vitiman

Yeah uh, correct me if I'm wrong here (as I'm hardly an expert of the law) but I don't think it's as easy as some of you guys think. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Sega to "officialize" promising fan projects, but I doubt it'd be worth the hassle for either party, ultimately.