don't click here

Sega encourages us to keep making great Sonic fangames

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Sep 13, 2016.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thought this was really cool. Sega does what Nintendon't.

[​IMG]

Source: http://kotaku.com/sega-takes-shot-at-nintendo-encourages-fans-to-keep-ma-1786527246
    NeoGAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277439

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Pretty sure this fits better into the Sonic Social Media Shenanigans thread.

Have you forgotten the faces behind these accounts :v:

3. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
  4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    We should all know by now that Nintendo is a control freak when it comes to it's IP's. Nintendo is that kid that wants to keep all it's toys to itself.

5. Some companies embrace change and are even able to reinvent themselves to keep up, while others will do anything to prevent progress out of fear. I'm glad to see SEGA is leaning towards the former.

6. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    But expects you to pay them to look at it. :p

bear in mind this is moreso a good business desicion on their part, as they rely on people believing in the brand and character instead of pinning a negative attitude to it exclusively; no one would give a shit about the character had Aaron not brilliantly officially poked holes in the series he was representing in a charming manner. It's more than just SoA/E being a chill bunch--It's SoJ taking an acceptable loss in control and, you could argue brand security, in favor of actually making a sale, something Nintendo seems so convinced they've got guaranteed that they can afford to be dicks... in theory.

That's moreso the issue with SoJ, who I'm sure simply greenlights SoE/A's public, likely genuine adoration for fan projects. On one side it's pure business if you think about it... but on the other yeah it's probably legit gratitude.

Keep being rad Aaron and Gene. Hope your boss' game actually turns out ok \o/

7. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Sega is awesome for doing this. They're so different from Nintendo right now in their perspective it's unreal. Nintendo could learn a thing or two from them.

You're mostly right - just thought something this cool deserved a dedicated thread.

8. MartiusR

MartiusR

Yup, I absolutelly agree. Sega is like the moon* - has bright side and dark side. And this is definitelly bright side (about dark one I've mentioned in Sonic Mania thread). I'm sharing belief that big companies should be more or less (rather more, rather more!) lenient on fan-made stuff. And the fact that Sega went "one level further" (hiring people who were making such thing in the past to make commercial title) is even better.

*No, not the one they've smashed in SA2 :)

9. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think with Sonic Mania in tandem with this we're seeing more of Sega's bright side recently. You're right - they also do have a dark side having shut down the Streets of Rage Remake but that was back in 2011 and something profound has changed within Sega since then. They're responding positively to fan-projects and Mania represents a new level of them being awesome. I think it's the shake-up in Sega of Japan with the new CEO and development ethos that's causing this. Sega are a much better and different company now.

Nintendo DMCAs like, five hundred fangames recently whilst Sega outspokenly says "keep making great fangames". The difference is night and day.

10. Vitiman

Vitiman

Between this and effectively giving hacking the OK on their Genesis Marketplace on Steam, I'm convinced that Sega still does what Nintendon't - in this case, be lenient with their properties ;)

11. DustinVG

DustinVG

Super Ancient Keys
    Honestly, perhaps it's a bit of wishful thinking, but I'd like to see Mania do really well just to invoke a bit of a shakeup in this sort of zone. Prompt some thinking, y'know?

That and because it's just looking to be an awesome game.

12. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    They can prove right away they have become a better company by doing something with the SORR situation. I'm still waiting personally.
    (Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad Sonic Mania is happening, probably the best thing from SEGA these past years)

13. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    The Streets Of Rage remake was actively soliciting donations, so.

Involving cash is almost certainly the line where SEGA lawyers finally strongarm their way past PR, and it wouldn't susprise me to see them never change their mind on that as a result.

14. SiddtheKidd

SiddtheKidd

Streets of Fucking Rage! Member
    Sin City
    Project Neo - Deadly Metropolis
    The donations were for keeping the site up, not the project itself. I know they probably wouldn't take the time to investigate that but it is the truth behind the donations.

15. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Not only this but SEGA has stated themselves the reason behind it was to protect the IP, not because people were asking for donations for the game.
    Spreading false and serious accusations like these is completely dumb BTW!

16. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    You guys gotta realize that SoRR was a game that almost completely, if not entirely negated the need to play the original SoR2, along with providing a different, even arguably superior way to experience levels from SoR1 and SoR3. On top of that, it gained some notoriety from being in the works for so long, going through so many revisions, and being the only interesting thing going on with the Streets of Rage franchise in years, so it likely caught Sega's attention that way. That sort of thing takes a fan game from being supplementary to being perceived by companies as a threat to their ability to sell their product.

Sonic fan games almost never have this issue because they tend to take inspiration from official games instead of replicating or improving on them, and even when they do the latter, they're usually pretty under-the-radar... except for, like, Sonic 3 Complete, I guess.

17. SiddtheKidd

SiddtheKidd

Streets of Fucking Rage! Member
    Sin City
    Project Neo - Deadly Metropolis
    While I'm not the type to ask why SEGA doesn't contact BG to make a new game (given there's various reasons why companies DON'T do that) I do wonder why it couldn't be endorsed the same way that Megaman x Street Fighter game was by Capcom. The only things I came up with is the potential usage of assets from different games not owned by SEGA (they're not hard to point out) or the fact that SEGA waited until the game was released in full (Keep in mind v4 was the supposed final release and even got featured in a mag or two iirc) to take action was their unofficial way of endorsing it, since we know once something hits the internet there's really no stopping it.

18. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Wonderful! A worthy topic here to keep everyone! I'm glad that SEGA is doing this to us, embracing our fan work and all. I hope Nintendo will one day see all the mistakes they've done to their fans and I'm glad I'm still aSonic/SEGA fan!

19. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    This probably only applies to the mainline Sonic games.

Archie and Cartoon Network might still kick your ass if you decide to do anything with their Sonic-related things.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Oh boy sounds like the AM2R situation :')

I'll echo what I said before. It's just bad business to take down projects like this as opposed to granting a liscence to the project and providing a low budget, or even giving them a royalty deal (i.e. royalties to a point or something if SEGA wants to be stingy fucks with their IP). If a publisher has no vested interest selling their product because thwy assume they'll lose money, and yet fans are interested in not only MAKING said product themselves, but actively SUPPORT this product... Doesn't it sound, uh, a bit wise to capitalize on what they now see as *a visible market?*

I won't fault SEGA for protecting their property. I will however fault them as I have Nintendo with Metroid for not doing jack shit with it. (in Metroids case, nothing the fans fucking asked for (especially if you look at how federation force started. Hint: the opposite of wolly world.))

CN *may* have more of a leg to stand on, but Archie? Considering for the most part the comics have grounded themsleves in mainline sonic canon (or rather CREATED canonity within the fucking MESS that is the mainline games), I don't think Archie has any legal standing that superceeds SEGA's wishes as their IP ultimately exist for SEGA, especially if we take into account the post-Penders situation--I guarantee you nee artists/writers basically sign away all rights to their fancharacters to SEGA permanently. You could say technically Archie and SEGA have a dual ownership over the non-SEGA/SatAM characters used, but again thatd seem very unlikely as that could lead to more messy shit down the line I doubt Archie and SEGA want to get into. Same could go for the storylines I suppose. Yes, Archie owns the direct comic publishing rights to all material created for the comic, but it IS liscenced property by SEGA, so wouldnt the legality/legitimacy of any transformative material based off it ultimately be SEGA's call?

Even with CN, It's a show simply aired on their network where until contracts run out they have the exclusive television airing rights. It's not like the ideas behind Sonic Boom belong to CN as much as the specific scenes rendered and voiced do. This would be a different case for something like say Powerpuff Girls. CN basically owns EVERYthing about that (technically their boss Warner broadcasting). Teen Titans Go (!) might be in a similar boat if Warner basically owns everything about DC at this point like Disney does with Marvel, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

I'm not a lawyer by any stretch but this is just what makes sense to me--people involved have legal ground in their respective fields of entertainment, not regarding anything relating to the Sonic brand they added onto it. That right belongs to the IP holder. If this is NOT the case and in fact CN and Archie hold more power over their material than I previously thought, I'd be interested in hearing why the opposite is true.