don't click here

Sad news about Ben Hurst, SatAM Sonic writer

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Quexinos, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Well in a bittersweet way, at least SatAM and Ben Hurst is finally getting the recognition they deserve.

2. DC.17

DC.17

a dead star Member
    This is so strange, I JUST started watching the show again after not watching it for YEARS, and this had to happen. So strange.

R.I.P, Ben Hurst.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    While I really wasn't a fan of SatAM at all, a death of someone who by all I'm hearing was a decent guy is always a sad thing. Moreso being as young as he was, not deserved at all. My respects to his family.

4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Oh wow, that must be bad for you especially since I know you two were good friends. He helped put together one of my favorite childhood cartoons. He will be missed.

5. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Condolences and all that jazz.

Strictly as a Sonic cartoon, SatAM was balls and it started the tradition of turning Sonic into something he's not (which SEGA themselves would later do). In and of itself though it was quite alot of fun and deserves recognition as its own thing. It's a shame Ben couldn't have used his original ideas for a different show. I used to like that pompous French dude, and the way Robotnik looked like a nightclub bouncer. The whole concept of freedom fighters was great, and something that kids should be exposed to today.

Anyway, fuck you death! RIP Ben.

6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    you know he worked on like 10 other shows right? Including Tiny Toons and Captain Planet? :v:

7. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Tiny Toons and Captain Planet? Really?!

I confess, I really didn't give a fuck that he died a minute ago, I was merely paying lip service. NOW I'm fucking sad though because I LOVED them shows!

RIP Ben, my condolences. And thank you!

I really mean it this time. :(

8. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    I was never a fan of SatAM, but I know a lot of others are - R.I.P Ben, thanks for everything you gave people. :)

9. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Last year, I watched the whole disk compilation of SatAM. I loved it and it was awesome.

I then seen a bonus video about him being asked by his fans about a third season. I would have been real happy if that were to surface.

And then this.

I am sad. My condolences.

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Sonic SatAM and Underground were marvelous. Sure, Underground was cheesy, but it had it's moments. I remember a Denny's that advertised Undergound heavily - the whole place was lined with plushies of Sonic, Manic, and Sonia, all wearing SU medallions. I'd get up and eagerly wait for the cartoons to come on as a lad. I'd only seen maybe 7 or 8 episodes, because a little something called the Power Rangers came along and killed them.

But I digress. We've got another star up in our skies, shining bright with the enthusiasm for Sonic he's always had. Rest in Peace, man.

11. Holy crap, there was Sonia and Manic plushies? I only got a Sonic one from them.

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Man that is sad, I'm really sorry. I wasn't a fan of SatAM, or Underground but it's still sad. (Though I loved Tiny Toons.) RIP Ben, you will be missed. :(

13. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    My thoughts reflect in what other people in this thread have said ( Generally speaking...), so I don't see much point in typing out a long diatribe about how sucky this news is (Sorry if that comes off as nasty, as it wasn't the intention; I just don't want to seem like I'm copy-pasting everything everyone else has said...). All I can say is that you have my condolences.

Looks like I'm not the only one who didn't know he wrote Tiny Toons and Captain Planet. So that's at least 2 out of 3 cartoon series that he wrote that I love.

R.I.P Ben Hurst.

14. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    You have my condolences, but I'm not familiar with anything Ben has done in his life time. Still sad when someone passes away though.

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    From the sounds of things Ben Hurst must have been pretty in touch with his fanbase. I'm pretty impressed by how open he sounds like he made himself to everyone. I wish I knew hi as well as Quexinos, who obviously appears to have formed a pretty special relationship with him. Clearly the world's lost one of the few great men on this earth. I'll still always treasure my memories with SatAM, and it's all thanks to him.

R.I.P

And I don't care what people say about the show, thanks to Ben, Sonic developed into so much more in the US than he ever was in Japan. In essence, it just helped further show that he was more popular over here and had a better home. I have a great amount of respect to him for that.

16. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Er, considering he didn't come on board til season 2, much of that was already cemented beforehand.

17. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I feel, that in some roundabout way, this man was responsible for the creation of my fave series character. Whether he wasn't or wasn't, I'll forever appreciate the work he put into both shows, and even forgive him for his total shrugging off of Super Sonic.

Wait, did I post here already? Bah, whatever, may he rest in peace.

18. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Yeah, but me being the dumb kid I was and not thinking ahead, I only got the Sonic one. I came back next month to see all the Sonias and Manics totally gone.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Very sad news.

While the show certainly wasn't a one man job and he wasn't the most flawless writer in the business (it was obvious that Sally was his favorite character) you can not deny the magic he applied even early on (Sonic and Sally was his first written episode and a wonderful one at that). It was also nice he kept in touch with some of the fans like Quexinos and at least TRIED to get the show back on air, meaning his experience with the Sonic franchise was far more than 'just a paycheck' to him.

20. MastaSys

MastaSys

As an separate universe I always liked SatAM.
    I even that a children cartoon may seem something little, it was an important influence for most of us in our generation.

RIP Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.