don't click here

Sad news about Ben Hurst, SatAM Sonic writer

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Quexinos, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erinaceus

Erinaceus

I'm Hamilton Member
    That is very sad news, indeed.

While I had long ago abandoned any hope of seeing a straight-up SatAM Season 3, I did still hold onto the notion that if the Sally and the gang were ever to appear in a liscensed Sonic cartoon again, that Ben would in some way be involved.

And now that wish is dashed, too.

Lifted from Quexnos's YouTube. I was too late to the SatAM scene to have had any personal interaction with him, but the various interviews gave me plenty of insight into his wonderful character.

R.I.P. Ben.

2. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    For what it's worth, Ben Lead a very full life. Yeah he didn't get to release his Season 3, but he was very happy with what he accomplished. He always told me that if he died "tomorrow" that he'd be fine with that. Not many people can say that.

3. No, it doesnt have to be. If SatAM is ever going to see new life again, its up to us now. Its time we as a community bind together in order to make this long awaited project come to fruition. Ben Hurst always told me that I should never leave my projects unfinished and my film is so close in being made. Its time to start supporting SatAM related material cause now its endangered of being forgotten.

4. Nik Jam

Nik Jam

The Man Oldbie
    East Bay, California
    Sonic Mode: Sounds of the Universe (But not really)
    I am heartbroken. SATAM was one of my childhood favorites.

5. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    The fact that you're using his death to plug your on-again, off-again bullcrap across Sonic forums is highly disrespectful, in my opinion. Please leave.

Anyway, Hurst was a very rad dude. He did Q&As at SAGE and he was probably the best guest we've had. He was very patient and cool with the process and although he had a rabid fanbase, he never let it get to his head. He enjoyed the fact that he made so many people happy with his work. Ben was more than willing to feed that appreciation by coming in and talking to a group of fans in a chat room on 2 separate occasions.

Again, I'm saddened by this news. You rarely come across a person like him in the entertainment industry. He will be missed.

6. How is honoring someone's memory disrespectful? I happen to have a history with the guy since I actually talked to him a couple times and hes provided helpful advice to me while I was in college. His death is whats motivating me more to get this film done since he was the very reason I engaged in this project in the first place. The fact that hes not around to see its progress gives me more of a reason to finish it cause I respected his dedication and persistence.

7. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I'd appreciate it if we didn't argue in this thread. Let's just keep this topic about Ben Hurst and his accomplishments and the awesome life he lead.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Possibly because you immediately started talking about your movie with your first post in this topic.

EDIT: Okay Sonique. I shall say no more.

9. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I also do have some stuff that he gave me that I could release if he ever were to pass on so I'll get that to the community as well within the next few days. I'm just not sure how to release it all.

10. Thats when the film was official, he did say I can acknowledge him in the credits for the fan film. This was back in 2008. But since hes no longer around, its more respectful to dedicate the entire film to him since hes the reason I even went to art college and pursed this project.

11. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Lol sorry I edited my post, I didn't want to start shit :psyduck: Can you edit yours maybe?

I guess do whatever, it's just I'm not really sure how to deal with all this. I've been given a responsibility and it's kind of overwhelming.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Does this mean you are the Goddess of SatAM like I thought you were in the first place?

13. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Was there ever any doubt? :P

And I'm sure I'll inherit more stuff over the coming months so I'll be sure to share that information with everyone.

14. I understand Nique, you and Ben have a longer history together but Im just as devastated as you are about this loss. He was there since day 1 when FUS launched in 2000. He provided so much inside information about SatAM and Season 3 and even generously hopped on chat sessions to answer fan questions. Its amazing how humble he was when he decided to do a DVD interview for the box set. The man was incredible and multi-talented in many ways. Its just sad that everything he wanted to accomplish with SatAM is now in limbo. Remember his movie pitch 1998? Or his collaboration with Ken Penders in 2002? Sega really fucked up on rejecting his ideas. Anyway, we're all in mourning here and I guess my way of displaying my grief is using his advice to finish my Sonic project. With that said, Ill just say that I will greatly miss the guy and the times he shared with us fans.

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sounds awesome.

16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    You know he was one of my best friends. He was like an Uncle to me really. He always called me his niece. It just sucks that it took me so long to find out because I was screening my phone calls. But I guess that was the only way to get a hold of me. I'm glad Pat kept at it because it's important I know. I honestly wish everyone could have known him as well as I did. Maybe when I'm feeling a little better I'll post some of the stories he told me. If I can remember all the details of them that is.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    SatAM was one of the first pieces of Sonic exposure I had before I owned any of the games. To hear that he's passed away is very sad. Love or hate the show, that guy had passion for it, wanting to revive it even after nearly 17 years. He will be missed.

18. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

I lost one of my best friends last weekend; I shaved my head to honor him. (He always had his head shaved.)

And now I'll rewatch all the episodes of SatAM to honor my favorite story teller and writer.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Hurst. Thank you for my childhood.

19. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    This is exactly it.
    Such a shame when someone who has played such a big role (without even noticing) in our childhood. Quex, my condolences go out to you.

20. Well, SEGA has decided to post this news on the Sonic The Hedgehog Facebook page. That should help get the word out to everyone.
    I never watched SatAM, but this is still sad news, obviously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.