don't click here

S3K Redundancy Fix V1.0

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Varion Icaria, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    I like the Invincibility idea, as for the credits theme it's simply going to be t he beta.

2. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    If he gets credit for that, I call idea theft.

3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I didn't read the whole thread, I never usually do. My bad. But it must be a good idea if we both thought of it, no?

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I say that you should just keep it as a hack that gets rid of all the unneeded crap in S3&K. ;)

5. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    Well, that actually makes perfect sense.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    [​IMG]

7. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Why not just make a medley? One of our music geniuses around here might be willing to give it a shot. Or me, who's not-quite-a-genius-but-good-enough. I think our issues for music should be solved through medleys.

8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I thought this was supposed to be an optimised Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yes, but you can't make a single version that makes everybody here happy. This is going to end up as with with SMS'd version of Triple Trouble, with people whining that they want one or the other version, with the occasional guy asking for it to be turned into a game setting.

10. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    They're talking about adding features, changing music etc. These things shouldn't even be a consideration.

11. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

I will make 3 Versions then. S3K without the Redundancy Although it will have the S3 title Screen. S3F [Sonic 3 Full] Which will change things to what I see was supposed to be in the beta to still have a working full game. Then I'll have my a test hack. This way everybody could play how they want. I will not disclose what will be in the test hack however but it will be a nice sneak peak of something.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    There's no need for multiple versions. All you should worry about in regards to a "redundancy fix" is simple reducing the size of the game to the lowest possible. Everything else—changes in music, gameplay, et al—should be for a completely different hack and not even considered for inclusion.

If you absolutely must create another hack with arbitrary changes that make no sense, then at least finish the hack that fulfills the proper goal introduced by this thread first.

13. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

Yeah I am fixing the redundant data first before I start on anything else. All I have left to fix happens to be 2P mode and some minor debug list glitches. If any other glitches arise I will do my best to fix them to and then make the next release.

14. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    S3's credit music is amazing for obvious MJ reasons. I quite like the S3 1up sound but prefer the S3&K Invincibility Sound. I find Sonic 3's to be really irritating and annoying.

15. libertyernie

libertyernie

502 Bad Gateway Member
    I too like the S3 credits music, but I don't think it would fit the S3&K credits that well. Probably best to release a version that plays identically to S3&K before anything else. It would certainly be a good starting point for S3&K hackers.

16. Yes, make it as small as possible and release that 1st as its own hack.

Then release a 2nd hack with all the music/other modifications second.

On that note, I would like to throw in my two cents on what music to use for the 2nd hack.

I think the Invincibility music should be the Sonic 3 Music, and the S&K Invincibility should be saved for super forms.

Why? Invincibility lasts a few seconds, while Super forms can last the WHOLE LEVEL. That's why people hated the S3 Invincibility music so much, is that it just repeated endlessly, and after a while, that tune would get old and annoying fast. S3's Invincibility music is better in short bursts, and thus works with the Invincibility music. S&K's Theme is less annoying over long periods of time (in my opinion) and thus I could bear to listen to it the whole level if necessary.

17. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Assuming you plan to release the source for this, I don't care what music is assigned to what, so long as all the music files are still accessible. Then whoever uses it can set whichever credits/boss/invincibility/title screen music they like.

18. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

Doubtful I will release it as of yet. Still a lot of work is going into the Disassembly. I wish to label everything before any sort of release.

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I can't wait to see this finished hack, and as for the mini boss theme, I prefer the S&K theme much better, the S3 one was awful.

20. Agreed about first job being getting the filesize down... 4MB is just way too high!! O_O

I'll be testing this both on my laptop with Fusion and my DS though JenesisDS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.