don't click here

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Very nice Andrew, I've been following this game since 1996 and your project since it showed up in here, I can't wait, GREAT work so far. This will be one hell of a X-mas present ;)

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Just screwing around....
    [​IMG]

3. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    dats purdy

4. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
  5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    [​IMG]
    (Sonic X-treme and Sonic CD Remix, Started 2006)

-------UPDATE-------
    Ok Guys!
    Here is the Winter 2011 Public Beta that was promised. (this is the first Public demo for this project since we started in 2006)
    I ended up using the 2010 Closed Beta level from the old engine,
    as I didn't have the time to properly Construct a new level with so many lose ends to tie up.

Please Note: that Some sections of Winter Demo are based on layouts of the E3 1996 video.
    However, this layout has been modified quite a bit to make up for the missing sections I Haven't,t yet recreated.
    Personally I feel the Layout in the original E3 demo was horrible, Probably was built as a testing ground and nothing more.
    So, Ya! ummmmm.... Many areas that were shown in videos and such will probably stay as bonus levels that the player will need to unlock!

Also Please keep in mind that this is Its A beta, so ya,, ummm......please no Bitchen about how crappy the level layout is, or how crappy the game is in its current state,,,, ect ect.

Any Bugs found Please report! Just in case we missed them,

Some known bugs:
    1.Sonics sprite wackes out when moving around initially when the game first loads up. ( This Will be fixed)
    2.Camera sometimes Wackes out (Very rare, Can be fixed, cause by collision issues)
    3.Some collision Issues where sonic walks over the Frozen water, he hovers in the air, (Fixable)
    4.If level is Rotated, and jumping near some walls This causes sonic to jump Funky, ( Cause Known, Easily Fixable)
    5.There is no 3ed life, when you die, and the game hangs there,,,,( fixable)

------Requested!------
    Please Submit Your System Specs and the Frame Rate That your system produces.
    SEE NOTES with-in RAR FILE on how to Check FPS!

Thanks in Advance,
    Andrew

Public Winter Demo 2011

P.S.! Try it with your 360 Remotes!

6. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    Wow. Just wow. I've never been as floored by a fan project as I have been when I tried this. Your efforts shine through, and it's amazing to see it in action! Please continue your work with this, and don't stop until you've got a complete game. Again, amazing.

7. synchronizer

synchronizer

Does this work standalone?

Of course it does!

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thanks man ! I really needed that after all the long hours, and all nighters I've been spilling into the project this month. (and threw-out the years)
    Couldn't have done any of this without my good friends Xaklse and Skarik!
    Just wait till you see the Physics tech demo coming soon .... containing loops and such.

9. Derf

Derf

*Insert witty member title here* Member
    Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    Really enjoyed what I played of this:) Captures a very retro feel without feeling washed up or old. Bravo.

10. Falk

Falk

Not too sure if the fix is a global code thing or a case-by-case basis, but here's one instance in case of the latter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVL45lFAb8

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Oh yes ,, this is caused by the collision Cylinder expanding when sonic jumps..
    its an easy fix ^__^
    thanks for the report !
    If you find more Let me know !

12. synchronizer

synchronizer

You said that you removed the paper Mario billboard effect, but that only applies to the rings. have you considered applying the fix to other objects such as the vines, tree,s and crystals?

Also, maybe you should employ a semi-on rails system that snaps Sonic to the paths as he jumps between them. It's somewhat difficult to control Sonic without falling off. Maybe a minimalist version of what I describe could help, even if it's optional. Otherwise, I love this demo a lot (It's improved since last year's private version was created)! It's really fun to explore, and I do like the original e3 map. Thanks for the fun :).

13. Falk

Falk

Billboarding icicles and vines is a bad idea. They wouldn't even attach at the edges anymore. :V

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Glad you liked it !
    Yeah, I kept the Rocks and plants Paper Mario style to stay true to the E3 vid.

You know ! Practice makes perfect! oh and,,, and don't run so fast, :specialed: :)
    there will be levels designed for sonics full speed. this isn't really one of them.( poor design)
    There may be a rails system for some places like loops ect.

I designed some ring layouts to make use of the double jump (very top of level for 1 location),, see if you can collect 2 Ring half loops without hitting the ground!
    Good Luck practicing!

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I fell down, through a slope, into the floor, and couldn't get out. I wish I'd been capturing video to show it...

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Near the waterfall ? lol

17. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

I'd have to agree on the whole rails system for certain areas thing.

You should defiantly get some beta testers from the pickiest retro members to really get the perfect level designs when you start on those. :V

EDIT: I found a weird glitch near one of the double-jump frozen waterfalls. You know how there are two slightly higher ledges in-between the frozen river? Sometimes, when I walk onto one of them and back onto the river, Sonic doesn't go down on the floor. You can still play normally, he kind of hovers above the ground.

18. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    This is great. It feels a little loose, but it's not at all a bad thing. I've got no glitches or bugs to report so far, but I do have a little complaint about the spin-dash-- doing it facing left or right shoots Sonic off at an angle instead of directly left or right (according to the fish eye anyway).

Also that first music track is awesome.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

I actually didn't know that there was a double jump at first. Now that I think of it Sonic DID have one in the PC videos did he not? Well anyway, I don't think the level is designed "poorly" It is really fun to explore.... it's more like a hub world in this aspect actually!

20. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Gotta try that.