Possibly they still do it, even today?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Bleeding Cut, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    It's definitely not fair. That's why finding a debug menu in a game through ROM or Gameshark/Action Replay hacking is a major accomplishment. Besides the fact that they're EXTREMELY difficult to find (IF the menu is still in the game, the offset that tells whether or not it's being displayed probably has a value of 00, and, because 00 is a "filler" value in ROM & RAM, you're going to have to probably go through millions of 00's in order to see if you've got the right one, or look for addresses that, in the RAM, always stay set to 00, throughout the entire game; with games and the consoles' RAM sizes getting so large, this is near impossible), people can give the developer a good "nyah, nyah, we found the debug menu, and we get to mess around in the game like you could." :)

2. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    Back to Sonic Heroes, Sonic Cult actually did have the beta of it on their site for like a day, then took it down. I believe it was the demo that was used at one of those game shows (like E3).

3. Vangar

Vangar

sonic heros. that's not even out in australia. we have the demos in our shops though. it looks like a good game, but very buggy.

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    An incorrect and unfair generalisation. The filler value for an EEPROM such as the type used by the Genesis/Megadrive is FF. On the Gameboy the RAM is initially filled with random data which is overwritten by instructions from the ROM.

5. Bleeding Cut

Bleeding Cut

Dr. Knuckles Member
    Ah, so you guys are saying that instead of implementing a debug/level select menu, they just made bunches of prototypes just to test the levels? It sounds like more work that way, though. Unless they copied all the data from the one before it onto another CD.....but then, where are all these prototypes, then? And how do they decide who will get one and who won`t? :huh:

6. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    Slightly incorrect it may be, but a filler value's a filler value - if it's nothing but padding, it doesn't matter what value you use. Hence, "a filler value."

Also, what's so unfair about what I said?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.