don't click here

Playing the "Bad" Sonic Games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dr. Corndog, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Felik

Felik

So this is one of those threads again? You know the one where people get subjective and start heated arguments?
    So I'm not gonna argue anything just state my opinion and you are free to do anything with it.

S4ep2 is a good game. I can enjoy it unirobically and will keep doibg that thank you very much.
    Sonic Colors is the best Sonic game since Sonic 3K. I love it to pieces and the fact that I can ignore it's shortcomings with ease (fuck story I have shuttle mode) is an icing on the cake. Sonic CD sucks. Probably the worst of the "good" Sonic games and is barely enjoyable (good music and good graphics don't save a raw mediocre game).

I have an opinion, you have an opinion, everyone has an opinion. This thread is pointless and stupid. Op is wrong

2. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I bought Lost World twice, on Wii U and on PC, because I think it's an incredible game. I bought Unleashed and thought the Werehog was super fun. I bought Shadow the Hedgehog and thoroughly enjoyed it. I bought Colors, and enjoyed it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Sonic 06. Opinions differ, yet none are wrong.

3. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I do but I also don't want to waste my money. If everyone hates the game, chances are you will too. I know that pretty much everyone who played Sonic Boom hated it, people at Sonic Retro included, so I think it's safe to say that Sonic Boom is not worth my time or money.

I'm glad you enjoy S4:E2, because that means it was a worthwhile purchase for you (personally, for me I refuse to play something called "Sonic 4" when it clearly isn't a real Sonic 4, but that's a topic that's already been discussed to death). Also who said anything bad about Sonic Colors? Sonic Colors is awesome, and it definitely isn't one of the "bad" ones. And yeah Sonic CD is weird.

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I didn't really care for Lost World, and the Boom demo was enough for me. S4E2 was fun to run through a few times, and I don't think of it or even E1 as really being "bad" games. I just wish they hadn't been called "Sonic 4," because they don't compare.

However, I did pour about a hundred hours into Sonic '06 back in the day. I guess for me, even when the game is THAT bad, it still has something that appeals to me, and something Sonic games tend to do better than many other platformers. The reason I play video games tends to come down to overcoming skill challenges. I love that feeling where you die a hundred times and you're frustrated and it's not fair, and then eventually you're in the zone and you win, and you keep winning until you can do it with your eyes closed. The point isn't just to get through a stage, but to do it as quickly and with as much flow as possible. Even the worst of the worst gave me that feeling, and it's why I'd rather play '06 than an objectively FAR better but slower-paced game like Lost World.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That can only mean that you don't like Sonic games. :specialed:

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The last Sonic game I played that I felt was "bad" was probably either Secret Rings or Sonic 4: Episode 1, though between those two, I couldn't even bring myself to finish Secret Rings.

The newest Sonic games I've played, Sonic 4: Episode 2 and Sonic Lost World, I felt were just "mediocre" and "alright" respectively.

As for why? I dunno, each time a new Sonic games announced, I have this slim hope Sonic Teams learned lessons from their previous titles, but rarely are my expectations met. At this point my bar of expectations from Sonic Team is pretty low.

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I actually enjoy the "bad" Sonic games. I loved Sonic 2006, Boom, Unleashed, Black Knight...but I really dislike colors. Different tastes does notmake an unique valid rating for a game, althought I can see some flaws in them I still enjoy playing them more than others more technically polished titles.

8. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    You misunderstand me; I enjoyed the day stages in Unleashed just as much or more than the Werehog stages. I was only mentioning my unpopular opinions. :v:

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't play the bad Sonic games but I don't tend to play games in general anymore. I'm getting too old :v:

I do like to watch the bad Sonic games on YT though every now and then, I find it funny how borderline broken some of them are.

10. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    When it comes to the bad Sonic games, I'm a bit torn. For example, I didn't mind 06, I did finish all the stories - yet I couldn't bear to play Shadow for more than an hour. It was horrendous. The ugly, boring settings and bland music put me right off. I also think Sonic 4 Ep 2 is actually a step backwards from Ep 1 (I didn't think that were possible). Everything that was shit about 1 is back in 2 - pits, ass controls, shit physics and awful music. Except this time, Tails makes you stop instantly and lose all speed whenever you are forced to use him. Again, I finished Ep1 a few times, I couldn't bear to finish Ep 2.

And Lost World? Gave up half way. The aesthetics are really nice, but it plays so badly I can't sit through it.

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think there's something so fascinatingly awful about 06 that compels one to complete it.

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Thing is, I genuinely felt it was better than Shadow. Despite the broken engine and numerous bugs I preferred it. If I had to play either Lost World, 06, Shadow or Sonic 4, I'd have to say either Lost World or 06.

Of course - they're all shit, but hypothetically speaking :v:

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Are we all in agreement about what the "bad" game games generally are (S4E1, '06, Rise of Lyric, Black Knight, ShTH...) versus the mediocre/flawed titles (Unleashed, S4E2, Lost World...)? Personal opinions are going to vary of course, but the sort of general reception from fans, critics and wider audiences paints a fairly clear picture. For example, I really dislike the gameplay in Colours, which kind of defeats the qualities it has in other areas. It's not fun. But as a whole the game is still regarded as being really good by most, and not without reason. And even if you're the sort of person that enjoys Sonic '06, there's really no defending this.

I play the bad games cause I just get a kick out of Sonic. Of course I want the series to better than it is though. I had such high hopes and expectations for RoL when it was first revealed, only to be burned once again when we saw real gameplay footage. But I still bought the game knowing full-well what I was getting myself into. I'm just interested in playing Sonic games. Seeing the games, talking about them and thinking about them interests me in a different way to all the other games I play. I probably won't ever touch RoL again now, but I don't regret spending money on it. It's different to other things I'm a fan of, like Assassin's Creed. AC3 was a festering piece of shit and I wish I'd never bought it. I was put off the series for a while after that. The same can't be said of Sonic though.

Thing is, I'm not about to recommend the bad games to anyone. Not even people here. It's just daft. They're bad games.

14. EmerlForgotten

EmerlForgotten

Sonic Music Curator Member
    I play them because before I really started paying attention to reviews, I had tons of fun with Secret Rings, Heroes, Black Knight, and both Sonic Riders. I don't think any review will change my opinion on them since I still enjoy them a lot now.

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Well I think Unleashed is considerably worse than S4EP1 so take of that as you will.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

In my mind, Unleashed is trash. It's a weird one really. There's a small amount of brilliant gampelay in there by way of the daytime stages. They're excellent, no ifs and buts. But then there's the nighttime stages, which take up a bigger proportion of the game. They're not actually bad, but they're nothing special and hugely contrast the vastly superior daytimes ones. They don't belong there and seem so much worse by comparison, which only results in bogging the rest of the game down tremendously. And just to make it worse, you're lumbered with 17 hub stages to wade through between every level. The space between Windmill Isle Act 2 and the next daytime level gets the game off to a terrible start. It all confuses me because Sonic Team had such a good thing going and I can only guess that they collectively wanted to sabotage their own work, because holy crap how can you be that stupid?

Unleashed as a complete package is worse than the sum of it's parts. S4E1 on the other hand is a technical sloppy and lazy mess that manages to offend the very people it was meant to appeal to most.

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I'm a long-time Sonic fan which does - I guess - make me more tolerant to try Sonic games which haven't had the best reception. Of course that doesn't mean I'll go and by a Sonic game just to support SEGA even if it's total trash.

Yeah, I've played most of the recent games; Colors Wii (which I love), Gens, Unleashed, SLW & Boom Wii U and Sonic 4 Ep2. The thing is, whilst they all have issues - some more glaring than others - they all had potential. Ep2 was a marked improvement over Ep1. Such a shame Ep3 was cancelled. Unleashed despite it flaws has grown on me over the years. Gens is, well Gens. I'd actually really enjoy SLW if the controls weren't so badly designed. As for Boom Wii U, well maybe if SEGA hadn't told BRB to bring it to Wii U it might have turned out better on PS4.

I still think Sonic Team have the potential to make great Sonic game again. To do this on the 25th anniversary would be a good start.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I like bad video games.

19. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Yeah, they're essentially the same thing; I've merged the two threads now, just to keep the discussion in one place.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    No.

I prefer S4E1 to S4E2, and put them both in the "mediocre" section; meanwhile Unleashed is an incredible game that has a mediocre game clinging to it.

We're not in agreement at all.