don't click here

Pix'N Love's ‘history of Sonic the Hedgehog’ book

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Lanzer, May 8, 2012.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I didn't even know Hyrule Historia had a CE and I pre-ordered mine in September.

2. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Glad I held off on the regular Udon edition now, was hoping for this. Time to replace my French copy that I can't even read!

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Gee, I wonder who that could be referring to =P

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's not. UDON, the publishers of the English version, provided an explanation:
    It's not a massive deal. Annoying though. Pix 'n Love should have said something sooner.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And I was just about to ask if I was the only one who found the regular cover more interesting...

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I agree with Ash. The regular cover is quite nice. The only thing the special edition one has going for it is that it's got a gold foil effect, if even.

It's not as awesome a special edition as the Mega Man Tribute book Udon put out. Hardcover, extra pages (IIRC), and a special jacket cover by the sage of Mega Man manga, Hitoshi Ariga.

7. I honestly don't know if should also order the limited edition. It took forever to receive the normal version in the mail, and immediately after it arrives the limited edition comes out. I know they are the same, but the limited edition will look a lot more "mature" when left laying around. Aren't limited editions supposed to come FIRST?! Such a waste of money and I don't wanna be anybody's bitch , but I know what I really want...

8. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Psst. You should read this article I put up that has a few more details on the collector's edition: http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/01/more-information-on-the-collectors-edition-of-the-history-of-sonic/

I'm surprised Udon didn't know anything about the collector's edition. In fact, that doesn't quite make sense. I guess PNL are the ones producing the collector's book and they're able to do so in some weird legal lee-way.

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Dear Pix 'n Love and/or Udon,

I have asked multiple times to be sent a review copy. You have bungled this multiple times. Given the amount of borrowing that was done from Sonic Retro and Sega Retro, this seems like a reasonable request. One book.

Please get it together, as this is quite frustrating.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm confused why people keep referencing UDON. Isn't Pix N' Love the French company that made the original book?

Didn't UDON just simply translate the book and that is it?

11. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    According to the PNL rep, they also handled distribution for all versions, French included.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Okay, so I got my copy of the English Collector's Edition today. It uses the UDON translations, and of course any American spellings so it still says something to the effect of "Due to spelling differences between countries, 'Sonic Colors' was renamed to 'Sonic Colours' in the UK".

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I like how it assumes that the rest of Europe, Australia, and others used the minority spelling...

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I wonder how the original French version worded it, and then if UDON changed it. UDON is Canadian.

15. Unreality

Unreality

Received mine recently. It didn't arrive in perfect condition, which pissed me off considering the price. There's a little damage in the corners. I emailed Pix N Love and received a reply which pretty much said they try to package it best they can, but they can't control the mail. They did say they'd replace it if I sent it back to France (I'd mentioned I wanted to get a new one in the original email) but didn't offer to pay postage in the email.

My little nephew also got one so we've swapped. His arrived perfect. I felt a bit bad about it, but he's 8 and will look at it regularly, leave it laying around probably drop it, etc, so it IS gonna get damaged anyway. He loves it, so I guess its cool. Pretty disappointing experience in all though and made me feel bad. On the plus side, I buy him lots of Sonic stuff whenever I see it ;-)

16. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    I received mine in the post too. Has a slight nick on the top right corner, and the gold pressing is missing a few pixel dots, but otherewise, very nice, clean book. Definitely a keeper. Mine's issue 97/1000. What's yours?

17. Unreality

Unreality

Yeah the first one I received had a fairly big and noticeable crease in the top right, and a smaller nick in the bottom right. It was 103. The second one which I'm keeping also had a very small nick in the bottom right but no damage in the top right. It does miss a few pixel dots in the gold pressing too I noticed (not sure if the first one did). This one is 275. I've never spent so much on a book so expected it pristine but I'm happy with the second one! Looks a very nice book in fairness and will probably be quite a lot in there I didn't know since I haven't read Sonic history that extensively

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Received my Collectors Edition today. Probably gonna wait for them to sell all 1000 copies and then sell it again.

I got #143, by the way.

19. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Mine arrived yesterday. It was in perfect condition and I'm really happy with it! It's a really nice looking book. I've only had time to read a little bit of it so far though.

I got number 84.

20. Titan

Titan

UK
    I got #221. Really cool and informative book :)