don't click here

Phony S1 proto videos by Chillius03

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GerbilSoft, Apr 28, 2015.

1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Some of these kids, man. The hoax business has been strong since 1998 at least. Gotta put much more effort into it nowadays.

Best you can do is deconstruct Sonic 1 and then try to hand craft the beta based on specs we know about from interviews, slap that hack on a flash cart, get it running on a CRT, and tape it.

That's the level of work a hoax needs now to even be convincing or funny, and at that level, it's a wonder why you're wasting talent on a hoax when you may as well code up a whole game on your own.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They just make finding the real thing more difficult, which can make researchers to just give up.

3. I see what you mean, I didn't really think of it like that.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    ohh

ohhhh

ohhhhhhh

it's good.

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    No one told me this! *downloads, plays, laughs*

Serious question though; what is the chances (in %) that a real Sonic 1 prototype will ever turn up? I've kind of lost all hope on it.

6. *she, not he.
    Chillius is a kid from the UK that found her way into a small Skype group that I'm a part of. She always goes on and on and on about some Five Nights at Freddie's fangame that p. much nobody else there cares about, and she used the filter effect from it for the videos and tried to pass them off to us as legit. I had to do a bit of searching in my Skype logs, but here's my response from that time:

7. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Given the wealth of knowledge on the development stages of Sonic 1, how the hell can anyone who at least is capable of doing 1 minute of research gonna fall for that? XD

SoNick, please tell me she's not one of the many spamming Garry's Mod with FNAF dupes >_< (Ya mentioned fnaf, plus in the videos it was pointed out that Steam UI sounds can be heard, so naturally, had to ask :P )

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    omg I missed it ! vids are gone!

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Check the second set of links near the end of the first post.

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Seriously....did this dude even try?

A quick google search would have really helped him.

11. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Heheh, yeah, thanks for this. That was probably more effort than this deserved, but that's why it's funny.

Given what SoNick said, I rather doubt she'd have tried to sell it. Probably just a kid trying to pull an omg hilarious prank online for her own amusement. That it's so poorly done may even be part of the joke. I remember posting what I thought was an obviously-satirical way to unlock Luigi in Mario 64 when I was like 9, and people took it completely seriously.

12. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    We already know of the existence of one cart (that contains the "jumping punch" sprites after passing the endpost), but last I heard, the owner told the cart "never gonna give you up". I think drx may have either found one or two more carts with similar results, or he has found leads. I think, anyway, it's been a while since I talked to him.

I'm more interested in the original tech demo, personally, but I worry it's been completely lost to time (much like Naka's FC emulator for the MD).

13. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Ah, I was unaware of that. If there are some in existance that we know about, then my hopes have gone up, just a tiny bit. Even though a tech demo would be lovely, I (and I think many others) would settle for any beta, seeming as we don't even have one (unless you count the EU version a beta as it was technically unfinished =P)

14. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    There was an interview with a reliable source that mentioned that a certain journalist had a Sonic 1 Alpha. I tried tracking down contact details for the journalist, but all I could find was a Linkedin page. I sent him a message, but he didn't get back in touch. The interview is quite easily available (and I am surprised no-one on these forums has mentioned it), but I'm not sure if I should post the link, as I don't want the journalist to be hounded!

15. I remember seeing drx's findings from my lurking days... does he have a website? Would be great if he's still on the hunt.

16. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Yes, I know who you're talking about, if we're talking about the same build. I used to publically refer to him as "Mr. G" when talking about the cart. He has actually posted publically regarding owning the cart, but then again, I know how prototype enthusiasts (at least the ones not at the top of the game) can be with sought-after prototypes, even ignoring that it's a Sonic proto.

HF: Hidden Palace. Hasn't been updated in some time, however.

17. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Please, if you can, leave it alone. I am working on this one, I am actually the reason this surfaced to begin with. The more attention this gets the harder this will be to deal with.