don't click here

Old Sonic fangames

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sik, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    OK, so today I've decided to play Omni Khaos. But I'll have to play it again because a bug sent me straight to the last level =P Whatever. That game is old. It's made in The Games Factory - 'nuff said. It has all the classic bugs fangames used to have - getting stuck in the ceiling and walls, Sonic not returning to his idle position when landing, if Sonic gets a ring while he was still losing rings due to getting hurt, that ring gets lost too (:words:), stopping suddenly when landing (inertia unavailable for comment), etc.

Whatever. Anybody here remembers those old fangames with horrible engines? =P Yeah, I feel like wanting to play some more of those. What would you suggest to go next with? And please don't mention When Tails Gets Bored because I've played that game lots of times already XD

2. Yuzu

Yuzu

Sonic Chaos, Sonic Trinity and several of the games made by the same fangame creator. One of his games include the hardest Hydrocity Zone ever with bottomless pits and not really any bubbles.

3. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    You made me remind of the Hydrocity zone in one of the Sonic Ultra games which in turn reminded me that I *still* have to release the source code for Sonic Ultra X :words: (I talked about this with Oogaland long ago, it should have been released already XD). The only reason it wasn't released already is lazyness really - I need to add all the GPL crap to the source code x_x

4. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    have you ever played the original Sonic SV? That was pretty advanced for it's time.
    And I'm not saying that to suck up to diablohead, I used to play it relentlessly until I completed it

5. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Fuck yeah! Sonic Ultra! One of the first few FanGames I played. =P

I'm so going to have to go through all the games on the Sonic Fan Games HQ, some of them are classics. xD

6. Machenstein

Machenstein

Sonic Mega Quest.

Ha ha, just kidding. As far as I can remember, OMNI Khaos was pretty cool. Then again, it's been forever since I played these game. Those were the days before Sonic Adventure when I had to quench my thirst for Sonic games during the Sega Saturn hiatus.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't remember any specific names, but I remember playing quite a few bad fangames back in 2004 or so. I actually helped make a couple—one was called "Doomsday Redux," which was Doomsday Zone remade with Sonic Advance-style graphics, and the other was meant to supplement some fanfiction that, for some reason, I was enthralled by. It wasn't even that good!

The experience did help me learn how to make animated gifs properly, though, so I guess it wasn't all that bad. :eng101:

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Relevant =)

9. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I remember being addicted to Sonic Stash years ago. Also back in like 2002/3, SoniChaos Revolution seemed pretty rad to me. I also remember pirating TGF and MMF and trying to dive into the world of fan game making, but I was always too impatient to actually figure out how those damned fancy static engines worked. Too many numbers, I'm allergic to numbers.

10. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I know, I've seen it. I'll have to take a look some time. ^^"

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Um, back on listing old fangames I played, there's Sonic Epoch Advance. But I don't think it's so old. I had completed it =P I played most of the game as Sonic though. Poor Sally was left behind XD I also played what's pretty much I could find of the NeoSonic series: NeoSonic 3 revolutions, Sonic Raiden, NeoSonic GodSpeed and the demo of NeoSonic GodSpeed 2. There's a shitload more of old fangames I played but I don't remember them all right now.

And yes, I think I've played Sonic Stash too =P

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Anyone remember that Sonic Vegemite game When Tails gets bored? It played horribly, but it was pretty funny. I enjoyed playing that one (Someone should make that into a hack or a better fangame someday).

Also I remember Sonic Ultra :D That was pretty fun, simple enough and pretty good. At the time didn't notice if it played like crap though, it was so long ago.

I also remember the Sonic QTE series and those Sonic Chaos games

13. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Ugh, the NeoSonic games. I remember I had some beef with the guy who made those games or something (it's been so long I don't even remember), and they always seemed way more popular than they deserved. They used really ugly "cel shaded" sprites (super basic shading with thick black outlines) and weren't very well made compared to the standards most SFGs at SFGHQ were reaching.

It's sad that the only SFGs I can remember are my own. Sonic Infinity, Sonic Legends, and of course, TFH.

Oh! I remember PolySonic 8 really mystifying everybody at SFGHQ. It was the first Sonic fangame I remember seeing that actually, genuinely replicated Sonic physics. The creator made a one level demo and then vanished from the scene.

If you're talking Omni Khaos, you can't forget Thirdscape. Or Sonic Madventure, for that matter. Maybe those are getting too new, though? Arguably, though, they're still like 10 years old, but we're not talking the era of Rotor Boom or Sonic Robo-Blast 1, either.

If Thirdscape isn't too new, there is, of course, Sonic: Time Attacked. Sonic Unity, the project Aytac Aksu started after Chaomega or whatever, neither of which were ever finished. Sonic Ki, which was primarily notable for ShowoffBoy's graphical prowess.

Hmmmmm...

14. Skaarg

Skaarg

One of the fan games I really liked was Thirdscape 2. The first game was alright, but I've always preferred the second one.

God these are taking me back to when I had my first computer in my bedroom, and it was just loaded with Sonic fan games.

15. Machenstein

Machenstein

Anyone remember Sonic Adventure Gaiden? Remember how long it took to download, how exciting it was to play this seemingly high quality fan game, just for it to end abruptly after two seconds of gameplay?

Oh, the mirth!

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Yeah, but then I come to think on it, and um, the NeoSonic series do better as a fanfic than as a game really. It wouldn't feel the same if it used a proper engine =P

That one plays too well to be considered >=P But seriously, I think it's pretty much the only fangame that used pre-scripted loops that actually felt like proper loops. I rarely notice they're pre-scripted.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Knuckles' Christmas

The only fangame you need to know about. Shit, I was playing that shit before I found repositories of Sonic info on the internet.

18. Yuzu

Yuzu

That's the name of the game SoniChaos revolution, there's still links to the site of the fangame creator, and yes that us the fangame with the impossible Hydrocity Zone which I last played in 2004ish. Maybe it'll be easier because I won't be 9 years old.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    Sonic: The Search for Knuckles

that game was strange

20. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    That wasn't even a game, that was a lame parody. Has anybody even got a Game Over in it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.