don't click here

New Direction(s) -- What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mustapha, Aug 21, 2006.

Do you agree with the new direction(s) that the series is taking?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided/Will wait until I play.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Classic Sonic for Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Divisible by Waffle

Divisible by Waffle

Impatient Echidna Member
    Somewhere in Oreeyguhn
    Failing at fixing game cartridges
    Agreed; but if I try to throw anything remotely resembling proper logic or reasoning at them, they simply tell me that the Wii is "a horrible idea, and it WILL flop. You just watch..." and my brother is quick to add in a comment about the terrible carpal-tunnel inducing P5 glove, which he was stupid enough to buy a few years back when it came out.

2. Shade

Shade

I withdraw my previous statement. Turns out Super's info was bogus.

I officially like the way the game is turning out again.

3. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    If you had asked me this just after ShTH came out, I'd give you a definitive YES. I love a good story arc, and to be honest, the Shadow Arc was amazing. A lot of deep storyline that didn't revolve around the previously central characters keeps things from feeling stale and used.

Right now I'm unable to give that definitive YES because I don't know where this game will go, gameplaywise and storywise. I do believe they know what they're doing, and if what they say is true, the series will get an interesting new kick.

Did I love the classic series? Absolutely, I've been playing the classic series since I was 5. But while the gameplay is indeed fun, I do enjoy a strong storyline to back it up. Which is why I still play Adventure 1/2, Heroes, and Shadow from time to time.

I anxiously await the two Sonic games.

4. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    On this particular issue,
    your parents, sir, officially suck. :P

I'm 32 and still forced to live in 'hotel moma' because I can't cut it financially and am still single.

I've been playing games since I was 16. (started with a C64, then a MegaDrive and so on...).

You're never too old to play video games & some aren't even suitable for kiddies due to adult content.
    Why don't you tell your overly conservative parents that.

5. dualscreenman

dualscreenman

Fixed. :)

6. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    +1000

I've never been able to bear the sonic 3D games...

7. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    I hope this Classic Sonic is the only good Sonic doesn't turn me into hating it. It was the same way with Final Fantasy 7, I liked it, but now I hate it because it's the only good Final Fantasy. It has the best storyline apparently which I don't understand, all of them are original and unique and good in their own way. But I ramble on and on and on and on.

8. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    How can you say that? all the Final fantasy are great except the cristal chronicle :P

9. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    On the contrary, FF7 got way more attention than it ever deserved.

10. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I like classic Sonic, but I like the new ones just as much. Why does there have to be any sort of division?

11. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    1998 and down please. =P

12. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Well, personally I think it was all going fairly okay until the talk of some of the next gen games. I mean, Sonic PS3/360 looks cool, but the story sounds like it's getting away from what Sonic's about... I mean, Sonic supposedly getting fire powers? What, is he supposed to be his dimension's chosen Chaos Emerald protector like Blaze is her dimension's Sol Emerald protector and that automatically gives him fire burny powers?

ANYWAY... I haven't minded new characters coming into the games, because characters help build a storyline. Like Sonic Riders; I found the characters interesting and supportive to the storyline. Sonic Rush; I haven't actually PLAYED Rush in all honesty, but I've seen/heard enough about it. Blaze was an okay character in my opinion. Sonic Adventure 2; We all know I'm a big glompy Shadow fan. Sonic Adventure DX; Chaos and Tikal were welcome characters. Sonic Advance Series; ... okay, I'm drawing the line with Cream and Cheese. ;>.>

I'm kind of wishing they'd bring back some of the characters from the old TV shows that we know and love. I mean, the characters that got the biggest parts from the old TV shows in a game were the robots from AoStH when Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was released, and the only time that characters like Sally, Bunnie, Rotor, etc. got any parts in the video games that I can remember were the first and second special stage in Sonic Spinball when you break them out of the prisons on the pinball table.

That shows that the have the rights/could get the rights to use TV show characters, unless I'm mistaken, which I probably am. They SHOULD go back to basics though, maybe use Amy's old design and get rid of the prissy new design with the red dress, maybe use characters like Manic, Sally, Manic, Rotor, Manic, Antoine... let's face it, Antoine was hilarious.

But I'm digressing. Characters make up a lot of the story, but the story is starting to get away from what Sonic is all about.

13. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    If there's a chao garden on this next gen dealie, like something thaat can be stored on a USB clip drive or SD card, I will be very happy with the new Sonic game. Chao ftw.

14. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    To tell the truth, I kinda like the classic sonic better. I'd rather they move back the elements that made Sonic great. (More focus on the gameplay, less characters, unforgetable bosses and level designs) I've never seen any good level designs since Sonic Adventure 1. (Yea, I know that's not classic) Would anyone agree with me?

15. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    Here's the turd's opinion: SONIC looks like Sonic Adventure. I think that's what they're going for. Look at it this way, Sonic Team really hasn't put every resource they've had into a Sonic game since SA2. In Sonic Heroes, they had only half their dev team working on it, while the other half, the veteran half (Naka), was merely overseeing them, not really putting in much input as to how the game worked. That game was half Sonic Team and a bit of input from DIMPS Tokyo (they were working on Advance 3 at the time, and Sonic Team saw the teamwork idea and thought it would work well in a new Sonic game, thus, Sonic Heroes was put into play). In terms of the newer games, Sonic Team didn't even MAKE Shadow and Riders, United Games Artists did (damn it, I don't care what SEGA calls them, they aren't Sonic Team America, they're not worthy of that title), and notice - both those games sucked. Story and everything. UGA should stick to what they're good at: Space Channel 5, REZ, and Feel the Magic, because that's what they originally did before they were given the Sonic franchise to fuck up.

With this new game, it feels like Sonic Adventure. I hear rumors of Oshima's involvement, I hear rumors that they're researching around the world like they did with SA1, and I get excited. If Oshima is involved, then by God this game is going to be the most badass thing to come out of Sonic Team since Sonic Adventure, maybe even since Sonic CD.

However, I think DIMPS should do a 3D Sonic game. Sonic Rush proved to me that they know how to make a damn good Sonic game, and seeing how they work in 3D would be really interesting.

Now with Secret of the Rings... it seems like UGA has put their good side (REZ, Space Channel) in charge now. It's a UGA game, so I have my reservations, but it looks great, and I think they may put out the most underrated Sonic game of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.