don't click here

New Direction(s) -- What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mustapha, Aug 21, 2006.

Do you agree with the new direction(s) that the series is taking?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided/Will wait until I play.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Classic Sonic for Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Simple question.

As for me, I'm undecided at this time in all honesty. The various videos, screenshots and discussions haven't really provided me with an opinion yet. I'm hoping I can at least get a chance to play the new games in an indepth manner sometime. Anyways, discuss.

2. Shade

Shade

If everything Super is telling us is true, I'm about ready to kiss Sonic's blue ass goodbye and consider my childhood brutally raped.

3. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    I have a bias for classic Sonic stuff. So I would be more interested in the history of Sonic from 1991 to about 2000. Then I'm stuck from there on.

4. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Undecided. I'll have to see how next gen and Wildfire turn out.
    We shall see.

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I'm not going to prejudice myself against it until I play it. I tried that with Rush and discovered I was severely wrong.

Methinks the people who liked how Sonic Adventure deviated from my preferred 'Classic Sonic' are the ones upset here, because for me they screwed it up from Sonic Adventure 2 and onwards, and thus, they can't make it any worse.

I hope they can make it better, though.

6. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    I am gonna play it before I complain about it. I enjoyed the Sonic Adventures. I enjoyed Sonic Heroes until it started getting buggy. Shadow the Hedgehog I thought was okay. I don't know though, the only game I really couldn't get into was Sonic CD, and that's because both of the soundtracks suck. (I do like the U.S. soundtrack better though) I did beat it, just not multiple times. But I ramble, and I am going to keep an open mind about this.

7. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I'm sure to like it. I loved Sonic Adventure 1 to death. When Sonic Adventure 2 came around, I loved that as well. Then, Sonic Heroes came about. I liked the original concept of the teamwork part. However, they could've done it in a better way. Shth, however, I've never got a chance at, so... =P

I guess you could class me as a new age fan, the type who "insists on gaying up the series." However, I love the classics as well. I also love how the newer ones looked back at the classics for ideas, such as the magnet shield, and 1.5 player gameplay. The only new thing I don't like is the generic Terminator like badniks.

edit: heh, the current poll results don't even add up to 100%. =P

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Classic Sonic for life.

9. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    No, I don't agree with the direction that the series is taking. As for the reasons, I've listed them somewhere in this topic.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Copy pasta from another forum, but I found it appropriate.

I like both varieties of Sonic games -- both 2D and 3D. As I've said before, each game has its own enjoyable "vibe" it gives off for me, and I'll continue to play them if they retain that vibe. The speed, control, and overall feeling of each game strikes a chord for me; especially Sonic Adventure, I feel, is how a Sonic game should feel.

I'd like to note Shadow is exempt from this. I finally played it the other day... and I vow I will never do so again. It was a disgusting excuse for a game.

I'm really liking the looks of how Nextgen is turning out so far. It seems to be taking the best from each 3D AND 2D game, adding some kickass graphics, giving a deep, interesting plotline, mixing it in with FUCKING INSANE speed, adding new forms of gameplay, and much, much more. It's giving me an awesome Sonic feeling that I haven't seen since Sonic Adventure... Almost like a conclusion to it; a true sequel. One that will finally fill in all the previous plotlines they've made throughout the years with Sonic. That's what I believe.

However, do I like this change? It would seem that I do, yes, but the old games also have a vibe that I don't think the newer games will ever be able to fill. I like both kinds of games, but in the end, I'm indifferent as to which era is "better" than the other... Since they're thier own kind of Sonic games, I don't think it's fair to compare them side by side like most people tend to do. Yeah, they're NOT the same game, that's why it's in 3D and not 2D!

I figure, as long as a game has the core Sonic aspects that a Sonic game should have, I'll enjoy it. Shadow didn't have that, but this game does... And it's really grown on me, I must admit.

11. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    I think I'm just an odd person. I like nearly every Sonic game I've ever played—including Shadow, Heroes, and virutally every other game old-school fans use as an example of how the new games are ruining the series. On top of that, I still haven't figured out what everyone thinks is so gay about Sonic Advance 3. I voted "wait until I play" but odds are I'll like the new games as much as the old games.

12. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    More humans, earth realism settings & those shitty adventure fields again...
    I still play the newer games but the ones before SA are definately my favourites.

13. dualscreenman

dualscreenman

I thought Sonic Adventure 1 was pretty cool. Sonic Heros was meh—it has been my least played Sonic game.

Sonic Wildfire/Secret Rings is shaping up to look cool, but I fear what the 360/PS3 versions will be like.

14. Robjoe

Robjoe

I never really minded SA2 and Sonic Advance 1. Iloved SA1 though. I don't know why, it just struck a chord with me. It's definately the most "Sonic-y" 3D game. Heroes looked more Sonicy than SA2, but the engine WAS TERRIBLE. Not the team aspect, but the fact that it was impossible to control where the fuck you were going! Many levels were way too hard because every time you jumped, you always flew around when you landed. Shadow was... even worse. It took what I disliked about SA2, combined with a poor recoding of the Heroes engine, and absolutely fucked up the story. Truth be told, I never really hated Shadow prior to it. But the whole alien part of his backstory, combined with a somewhat cocky attitude Shadow seemed to have (and 4Kids voice actors), made me really hate it on more than just the gameplay level.

The next-gen Sonic had me ready to go cry in a corner during the whole storyline prank, but now that I know that's a fairy tale, I'm ready to atleast give a chance (if I ever but a 360/PS3, that is). Wildfire really looks like the type of game you pick up, enjoy, beat, and never touch again. It's gameplay mechanics give it NO replay value from what I see. You're constantly running forward, no chance to explore or anything. I'll be buying a Wii though (unlike the other two next-gen consoles), so I'll end up checking it out regardless.

All in all, now that the 360/PS3 story prank has blown over, I'm ready to give it a chance.

It's level designs I hate. They try to mimic SAdv2 (an even worse game) in that you can tell they try to be fast moving, but they're so poorly designed that it is constanly falling apart as you play it. Go play Chamical Plant (or S1 Megamix </shameless plug>), then play Route 99. Tell me what the difference you see is.

15. Tanks

Tanks

Jeez im the exact opposite of that. I think that wildfire (secret rings or whatever it is! :angry: ) is gonna suck. I like the game play idea of it though but story line will probably screw the game. 360 and PS3 will probably be much better. either way im gonna get both.

16. dualscreenman

dualscreenman

From the looks of it, Wildfire/Secret Rings is a semi-linear game that takes the franchise back to it's roots. The videos I've seen also show not to shabby speed.

The screenshots I've seen of the 360/PS3 Sonic lead me to beleive it will be another rehash of one of the Adventure series with HD.

17. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    [​IMG]
    4 life bitches.

18. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    disregard. Twas as easy as looking on CulT.

19. Divisible by Waffle

Divisible by Waffle

Impatient Echidna Member
    Somewhere in Oreeyguhn
    Failing at fixing game cartridges
    I'm going to play before I make any judgement on it. But hey, not like I get to ever own it anyway; my family is dead set against ever getting a next-gen system. Apparently, I'm too old for video games now.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's a very poor and bullshit excuse for you parents not to get you a nextgen system. Is it a suprise to them that a majority of gamers are in the 20's-30's age range? Maybe they'll rethink thier flawed logic then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.