don't click here

Naoto Ohshima's art that inspired Sonic's animations and more...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MasterDreamcaster, Jan 20, 2023.

1. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    It's also 30th anniversary of Sonic Spinball this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sonic The Hedgehog: Spinball is notable for being the first video game featuring music by Howard Drossin.
    His tracks appear not so often in Sonic series (this game, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Virtual Sonic album, Black Knight).
    However, some composers' contributions were used even more rarely – in only one Sonic game. Yuzo Koshiro, Brad Buxer, Spencer Nilsen, Hideki Naganuma...

2. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

I guess after completion of Sonic 2 developers realised that many ideas were not used in that game.
    So they recoloured and renamed those images:

Emerald isle – Roman column
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Metropolis – Interior of a blimp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Secret jungle – Mushroom forest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last one was changed most drastically. Wood Zone from Sonic 2 became Mushroom Valley / Hill in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Interior of a blimp is quite possibly related to Flying Battery. And Roman column, well... maybe it served as inspiration for Marble Garden? However, this is the only level in Sonic 3 with no water. Still, it has many similarities to Aquatic Ruin. Emerald isle seems to be a direct inspiration for that stage.

I have not seen any concept art for Sand Shower, but it probably evolved into Sandopolis. Winter zone from Sonic 2 – Ice Cap. Tropical Sun – Angel Island. Hidden Palace (Sonic 2) – Hidden Palace (Sonic & Knuckles). Death Egg (Sonic 2) – Death Egg (Sonic & Knuckles).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last one is another example of recoloured artwork. The exterior of Death Egg appeared only briefly in Sonic 2. And the level was rather short. This stage was further developed in Sonic & Knuckles.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    Wish we got a clear shot of that Sky Sanctuary concept with Tails. Something tells me Beta Windy Hill began there.

4. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Merry Christmas!
    Here is a collection of music related to Dubious Depths (and possibly related to the level), all artwork that we know of, materials from design documents and so on.
    I also traced the origins of other levels: Sky Sanctuary and Mushroom Forest / Valley / Hill.
    Places and events which remind me of locations and art from Sonic The Hedgehog series are also included.
    I learned many things from Sonic. How to perform wall run, for example. So it is shown in the video. As well as instant time travel (around 03:21 — 14:01 — 17:52 — 21:57).
    Thanks to everyone here for attention and support during my first year on Sonic Retro forums.
    @Vertekins @PimpUigi @Mastered Realm made this year great for me as a Sonic fan.
    I hope next year will be good for all of us.

5. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

[​IMG]
    Sonic The Hedgehog and Dreams Come True.
    Illustration by Naoto Ohshima.
    [​IMG]
    Various appearances of Sonic The Hedgehog Band.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some concept art shown at Joypolis in 2011.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sources please.