don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Here's a protip. Work from the bottom to the top, don't ever start with the top one first. As you make your way up the shape of the quills even themselves out a lot better.

2. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
  3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  4. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Don't have time to give you a proper reasoning since I have to go to work.

I don't like it. Not when compared with the edits that Cinossu and OSM are making.

See you fuckers later.

6. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Alright, we've been bickering over the idle position for 5 or 6 pages now. We need to decide on one that works and stick with it, so we can finally move on to the other poses. We just have to finish one level for this game for now, so let's just focus on making a basic good looking Sonic for now so we have something to work with when the Tropical Zone is finally finished. I just don't think all these constant edits and people coming in whining about all the changes is going to help anything if we haven't even got 10 percent of Sonic's sheet done yet. Can't have a Sonic game without Sonic, can we? If we want to make any major changes to Sonic's sheet, we should do it later and make the task at hand much simpler for ourselves, which is just getting the basics done. Idle, running, spin dashing, the works.

I'm not trying to take control here, but let's focus on my sprite and Cinossu's and see if we can find a good fusion of the two that Tweaker has been intent on suggesting will work out.

Once we find the working sprite, do you think we can have this thread pruned so most of this thread doesn't become so cluttered with so many pages and outdated ideas?

7. Rokkan

Rokkan

goddamnit OSM
    you really nailed some parts of the sprite but I gotta ask
    [​IMG]
    Which Sonic are we making? the one on the left or the one on the right?
    If it's the one on the right, it's just perfect and doesn't need to be touched, except for the spikes which some of it seems to have an awful pillow-shading...
    I went on a mid-term in between Chimpo's old Sonic sprite and your new one, using my Knuckles as a reference since everybody is using it as a reference... (I still think there is something wrong with my Knuckles but I can't find what is it)
    [​IMG]
    also, what the hell, I think I saw Badassbill here?
    are you the same OSM of Pixeltendo? it's me Rökkan btw.

8. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  9. Flare

Flare

Oh it is like a little reunion of pt spriters haha.

Anyway, since I was bored, I was looking more at inspiration from S2, since I consider them to be the best Sonic sprites out of the 3 games, and did a small edit on the sprite posted a bit back.
    [​IMG]

10. Rokkan

Rokkan

<!--quoteo(post=272572:date=Jan 25 2009, 10:59 PM:name=OSM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OSM @ Jan 25 2009, 10:59 PM) [​IMG]
    Which Sonic are we making? the one on the left or the one on the right?
    If it's the one on the right, it's just perfect and doesn't need to be touched, except for the spikes which some of it seems to have an awful pillow-shading...
    I went on a mid-term in between Chimpo's old Sonic sprite and your new one, using my Knuckles as a reference since everybody is using it as a reference... (I still think there is something wrong with my Knuckles but I can't find what is it)
    [​IMG]
    also, what the hell, I think I saw Badassbill here?
    are you the same OSM of Pixeltendo? it's me Rökkan btw.[/quote]
    LOL, ok fine, the stab at the eye was called for. I like your sprite, but it looks too fat in the mussel area. It bulges out too much under the nose giving him this curved block head sort of feel to it.

Yea I am the same OSM, the one and only one you probably know. No your eyes don't fool you, Bab is here too. He's going to be lending a hand with this project in the future. That is, when real progress actually starts to happen.
    [/quote]

oh cool
    hi bab
    well, I suck at doing things too spheric, but this one of yours looks deformed, we gotta find a mid-term in between Chimpo and yours that actually looks natural and illustrates Sonic the way he is.
    eh, I'm not visiting Retro much, I just came here because Vaiyt told me that "holy shit the new sonic sprite looks like a rat!", I'm kinda really busy and typing fast, you guys won't see much of me around
    edit: what the shit flare too?

11. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  12. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Shadow the Hedgehog.

I'm just sayin :P

EDIT: Also, for the love of Primus OSM, fix the face on your Sonic. That dip in the eye doesn't need to be there.

13. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    <!--quoteo(post=272590:date=Jan 25 2009, 09:25 PM:name=Aquaslash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Jan 25 2009, 09:25 PM) [​IMG]

14. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I really do think the spindash needs a makeover. And more dust would be cool looking too.

15. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I agree as well, I'll get cracking on one tomorrow. Right now I need sleep, college starts early tomorrow.

For the sake of everyone noticing and maybe Chimpo if he sees:
    Make it easier for yourselves guys! I'll continue to help with this project as much as I can. :(

16. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    [​IMG]
    I thought the arm was too skinny.

17. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
  18. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    I think the new sprite is okay, but I hate the eyes. Please change them!

<!--quoteo(post=272436:date=Jan 26 2009, 12:11 AM:name=synchronizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (synchronizer @ Jan 26 2009, 12:11 AM) [​IMG][/quote]

This one is great.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    EVERYONE

SHUT UP

OSM'S SPRITE HAS BEEN CHOSEN

CLIMB A WALL OF DICKS

I was just about to PM you about that since I read you were going to work on animating a run cycle.

I don't want the usual trace over the original animation shit. I want something more in the same fashion as the Sonic Advance games where he gradually moves from a walk animation to the full speed one, just like you've illustrated.

Basically, DO IT FAGGOT!

As for Spindash, I've been working on spicing it up as well.

20. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Will do, I have a 5 hour day of classes today so I'll get working on the running cycle later today.

Also, I need to know if we need sprites of Sonic running diagonally for loops and slopes, or are we just going to rotate him via coding?