don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    It isn't really "Adventure era", because that's too long. This is kinda the inbetween-phase, similar to the Jap Sonic 3D art except still smaller, and quite frankly it suits the sprite considering the proportions.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    So wait, we're going for a Sonic inbetween Classic and Adventure then?

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I don't think so specifically. It's only the spikes, and quite frankly I don't even see how it's inbetween the two looking at my sprite again now. All I did was, literally, add a 1-2 pixel length difference, not a 4-5 pixel length difference.

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Hahaha, I'm fucking sorry but what?

Talk about a stubborn jackass.

It's hard for me to ever accept anyone else's work when I do my own touches. I was ready to tell OSM to go fuck himself as soon as he posted his sprite, but when I saw it, I shat bricks. The potential was there to make a sprite that not only matched Knuckles, but far exceeded mine in the attempt to make him look like the Sonic in the artwork. It obviously wasn't perfect just yet, but with enough tweaking it would come closer than mine ever would. (Not to mention mine had so many lighting and anti-aliasing issues).

I didn't "jump on the bandwagon" in order to please anyone. Fuck, the attention wasn't caught until after I noticed it. I picked it because I personally liked it, not because of any of you. I'm not bending backwards for any of you, especially for the small minority that are threatening to walk out.

Go away, I don't care. If I have to do the work myself to see this project through, I'll do it, but I'm sure as hell not going to baaaw and threaten to quit when someone doesn't like my suggestion over someone else.

OSM, add the two pixels.

5. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Alright, if everyone wants that, then I guess were using it.

I'm gonna do this; since I'm shit with the quills, I'll make the poses with Sonic without his quills. I'll let someone else add them in.

@__@
    I'm honored.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    <!--quoteo(post=272929:date=Jan 26 2009, 01:50 PM:name=Cinossu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cinossu @ Jan 26 2009, 01:50 PM) [​IMG][​IMG][/quote]

Cinossu, you so sexy.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't think the spikes are a massive problem because lets face it, it's not the first thing you see when you see the sprite in game.

Now the EYES, that's something you're more likely to see, and these latest revisions to them look like a step back from the ones a couple of page back.

Though I must admit, OSM's version is 248952304 times better than that one that was being used before it. One thing I'm not too fond of is the palette though. I think it should be more purpley-bluey rather than cyany-bluey.

Either way I think this one is the best so far. It needs a bit of work but it's close.

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    To make my point a little clearer..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First is yours, OSM, second is mine, and third is using Sonic Advance's quills as a guide.

9. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  10. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
  11. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Move the approved one's top quill down one pixel, then smooth it out with an extra pixel in the gap. It'll look smoother.

Badassbill suggested it.

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
  13. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    It's fine, I can do the animations no problem.

I meant your sprite by the way. I'm just going to animate a bald headed Sonic, some other person can put the quills on there.

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I did use my sprite. :P Also, don't do a bald Sonic XD; that'll look odd.. besides, remember, all I did to yours was add a few pixels.

15. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. I'll get on the other poses now.

16. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    XD okay.. looking forward to them.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  18. synchronizer

synchronizer

The only thing that is kind of odd, is that Sonic got one pixel shorter than his other incarnations. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Question:

If this is in between classic and adventure, then what's Super Sonic gonna look like?

20. Machenstein

Machenstein

Here's my attempt at a Sonic sprite to accommodate OSM's waiting animation. Mine is on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I obviously used elements from OSM's sprite, but I had to in order to make it consistent. Critique it, edit it, do what you want with it. It's a WIP so I'll play around with it later.

EDIT: Fixed the legs.