don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I don't think offense should be taken -- Sonic's stomach is protruding in an awkward manner there. However, I'd ask for every negative criterion to precede a suggestion for improvement, if you would.

For example:

...which would have been my reaction.

Another thing I'm not sure about is the whole relationship between the quills and the head shape. I've generally always seen them as coming from the head as per the classic designs. That third drawing along there looks a bit of an extreme take on his newer head construction.

2. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Oh yeah, sorry - my mistake ^^

Ok then, if you compare the 2 stomachs [yours and the sprites], you'll notice the shading on the sprite's stomach shows us it *does* stick out slightly, but you can tell by the blue immediately around the stomach is slightly lighter than that of his quill/spike behind it.

I think you've also placed the shading around the stomach adds to the already bloated effect that he looks pregnant. I suggest you make the spike's shadow curve parallel to his stomach - and it only needs to be a few pixels away from his stomach, so it doesn't increase his bloat even more.

So to summerize:

-make stomach smaller
    -make the spike's shadow curve parallel to his stomach, like in the sprite

3. Hows this for a better belly?
    old one on the Left
    [​IMG]

4. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    WHACKED-OUT-IDEA TIME!!!

People have been saying that Fang couldn't be like a midboss for each level, for the sake of his storyline. Why not have him be like the launched cow in Earthworm Jim? He flies through the background at certain points in one or two levels on his jet-bike-thing. This would (of course) only be in certain zones, but it could possibly help his storyline, instead of just being random like the cow. Say, on a level inside Angel Island, you would see a silhouette of Fang flying through the background carrying the Master Emerald. Or something like that.

5. Endgame

Endgame

6. Yeah, I'll clean it up and such for the final but I wanted to make sure that everything's right before I take the time to do it neat. Those were thrown down fffffast as crap.

7. Matwek

Matwek

What I would really like to see within the credits of this game is a slide show of past levels you have played but drawn rather than using in game graphics, kind of like the pictures seen at the end Ristar. yet another reason why more experimentation should be done till people are happy with a certain style.

This next idea is a bit out there and im not expecting much posotive feedback but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.
    We were looking for a final level design that didn't resort to using the death egg again, previously I suggested using a flying fortress but didn't really have much to go on from that. Then I had the idea that maybe we could have our final zone as the begining movie of Unleashed, obviously not a copy but using the idea of a fleet of space ships with sonic fighting progresively harder enemies as he progreses along the hull till he meets Robotnick. From then on in we would have to change things to fit with our story, as to keep the rest of the cutscene wouldn't feel right.
    Anyway just an thought, borrowing the idea as opposed to copying it.

8. I love the flashback idea. Those were some of my favorite parts of SonicCD, Ristar and even Super Mario 3 did it sort of.
    Maybe the Final Zone could be a tower that Sonic would have to battle through like a normal zone (maybe slightly more a vertical layout?) but at the end, the elevator to the next level is guarded by a different boss. Or even a Metal Sonic for each level. It could be like that Bruce Lee movie Sonic style. An "Egg Spire" if you will...
    [​IMG]

9. Foreshadowing, I like it! Maybe there could be something like the Big cameos on Sonic Adventure 2, where if you do something at a certain point in each zone/act you see Fang getting up to no good?

Oh by the way, his "jet-bike-thing" is called the Marvelous Queen. Just pointing that out for ya.

10. Rokkan

Rokkan

11. I was thinking that too but thought that it might seem too Mega Man-ish. I took it a step farther by imagining each floor of the tower representing on of the regular Zones. Each of these mini acts would end with a Metal/Mecha/Silver/Pseudo Sonic that matched the Zone (like a green forest themed Metal Sonic for the forest zone and so on) but that would have been WAY too Mega Man.

*edit*
    I gave a shot at reworking the classic Sonic sprite to look like a missing link between 1-2 and 3. Sprites aren't my calling so I'll let you guys be the judge.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Endgame

Endgame

13. Wow, thanks! First sprite edit I ever did actually! In my hast it seems I made him a pixel taller than the normal sprite. Don't know if that's a big deal or not so here's a revised version.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just for reference here it is along with the others.
    [​IMG]

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hey, if it means that the minibosses all form together at the end to make one giant megaboss, then I'm all for it!

15. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
  16. Are you accepting ideas for zones? Because dudes, I just had a totally bitchin' idea.

Pumpkin Hill Zone. A zone based on the Sonic Adventure 2 stage. It would have the three different mountains, the ghost train, ghosts coming out the wazoo, and (for brownie points) an instrumental version of the Pumpkin Hill theme.

Of course it's not going to be an emerald-hunting level like the original PH. Just a Sonic zone with the same theme. I'm imagining the first act will focus on the Church Mountain, the second on the Ghost Train Mountain (with a bit where you're chased by the eponymous train) and the Boss taking place on Pumpkin Mountain. Or the train COULD be the boss, with Robotnik maybe dressed as a train operator.

Whaddya think?

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I'm personally not happy with the zones 'decided' upon (With the exception of "Tropical Zone", which it would be criminal to not have), so I'd say go right ahead. Co crazy. I want as many as possible, and then a community decision as to the coolest.

Please include, if you can, sketches of your ideas. Doesn't matter how crude, just some visual aid; show, don't tell,

18. I don't have a scanner so I can't draw anything for you. Unless you want MSpaint concept art. If you really want to know what Pumpkin Hill looks like play it on SA2(B).

EDIT: but even if I did have a scanner I still royally SUCK at drawing.

19. Matwek

Matwek

We could do with a few more ideas for 'mecanical' type levels, personally I like the ones we have but that could very well be because they've been with the project since the start and I've grown attached. Either way we could do with some unnatural levels for a greater contrast.

EDIT: At the moment in time we're trying to encorage people to provide work rather than just descriptions, the more content the better. So no matter how crappy you think its going to be an MSpaint sketch is better then nothing

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher