don't click here

Let's say you could ask Jun Senoue anything.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Oh, I already knew that, I mean I wish he'd just tell us who wrote what song, I'm sure he knows a FEW at least. WaveMaster has specific credits for games just as old as Sonic 3, and some of the guys still work for SEGA, so they could get the info.

It's just that there is a legal mess associated with it. There is a lawsuit going on regarding lost payments, AND add the fact that MJ was involved and not credited... I don't know how anybody still doubts that MJ worked on Sonic 3. The real question is how arranged/different were the ingame tracks from the demo tracks they sent SEGA.

2. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Reverb wasn't as popular as it was early 90's songs, so it opens it for more abuse with volume compression. According to like one of the Admin's of his website's forum that he used analag tape systems for the Adventure games. Also the the Adventure era games used 32 KHz lossy ADX game files at like 128 kbps, that's why the CDs sound sharper then the game's audio files do and make the volume compression more obivious sounding with the soundtrack releases.

3. Why won't Crush 40 release their own album for once instead of only doing songs for Sega?

4. Ryuki

Ryuki

You mean I have to narrow down my list? D:...

Which video game soundtrack have you most enjoyed working on?

Be it Sonic Adventure 1, 2, Heroes, Outrun, Sonic 3, anything from your portfolio; which have you had the most freedom to produce? I.e, You've been left to do your thang without being restricted to strict guidelines.

With Lizuka planning a 'new' Sonic, how do you think the music of the games is going to evolve to tailor any possible changes in store? We've had the (In my humble opinion) Varied Adventure 1 Soundtrack, a lovely combination of countless instruments; Adventure 2 where the focus was primarily on hard hitting Guitars (Again, which I can't get enough of) to name a couple, but recently we've had this move towards more 'Classic' sounding pieces, what's the next step? Where can the music go from here and how is it going to tie in with Lizuka's ideas?

Are we on the brink of another risky change in how Sonic comes across? 1998 hallmarked Sonic's adventure debut; a whole new Sonic, that some of the fans weren't fond of because it wasn't the Sonic they grew up with. We then have 2008 ( I think ) upwards where Sonic Team pushed a 'Modern Sonic' to try and fit in with both Classic fans and Adventure fans, safe to say I think they were -starting- to find that sweet spot. Now there's talk of Lizuka going back to the drawing board, will this have a serious impact on how we perceive Sonic that could once again put his reception at risk?

I'm going to try and forget this topic exists now, far far FAR too many questions I would ask him given the chance.

5. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    http://segaretro.org/Jun_Senoue?rdfrom=http%3A%2F%2Finfo.sonicretro.org%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DJun_Senoue%26redirect%3Dno#Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3
    Check the song credits. Actually, not a lot.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well gotta give him props for making the end of act jingle. While some games have deviated from using it, most games have kept that song as end of act jingles. At this point any Sonic game that doesn't use it sounds strange to me.

7. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    True. It's THE Sonic level clear jingle. It's also the best version.

8. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    It's the best version because you know that something awesome could happen immediately after it. Which is not the case in every other Sonic game that use the jingle. :p

9. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    That's the only jingle they can actually use, no? I mean, it was easier anyway.

10. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Same here. I don't understand the games that use something else. In fact, it pisses me off. With the exception of Shadow the Hedgehog, this is one of the few musical pieces that follows Sonic from one game to the next and should ALWAYS be a part of the series. If you listen closely, Sonic Unleashed uses a slowed down variation of end part of the theme if you listen behind the melody. Took me awhile to notice....mainly for the fact that I don't own nor have played it.

Mind you I hated the "new" jingle when I first played Sonic 3, but I've since grew to love it. I can't believe I used to hate all Sonic 3 songs simply for the different snare and drum. The irony that it has returned after I had a change of heart and now it doesn't feel like it belongs at all.

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm sorry but I'm really not hearing it in the Sonic Unleashed Act Clear theme at all. :psyduck:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjLzQrhEJA&feature=BFa&list=HL1340554703

I don't mind if it deviates, as long as it sounds similar. The Sonic Advance version sounded like a mix of both Sonic 1 & 2's and Sonic 3 & K's. I'm not overly keen on the 2006, Unleashed or Colours version- I don't know why SEGA thought having loads of orchestrated stuff in a Sonic game was a good idea. I hope they don't continue this in future titles. Sonic is meant to be a cool ass hedgehog with a funky attitude, and anything but digitized beats or rock don't really suit his main themes. This was definitely a good'un:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRpzhKLuLaI

12. For some reason when it embeds it automatically becomes an advert for that "SpongeBob vs the Big One" or whatever the shit it was.

I'm very confused.

13. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    he embedded the video along with the code for your viewing history playlist. the video shown will always be your most recently watched video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjLzQrhEJA

there's the video he meant to post.

14. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Kenichi Tokoi probally composed those, but you can usually tell it sounds more like a synthesized orchestra, just likes that certain quality of a real recorded orchestra is missing. He usually has handled orchestra pieces in the games.

15. Palas

Palas

It's not really prudent to say "anything but digitized beats or rock don't really suit his main themes". Doesn't make much sense, when you think about it. Anything suits if you make it suit. If all Sonic music was Electro Swing from the start but suddenly changed to the funkiest cool ass rock, we would be here saying the only thing that suits Sonic is electro swing. The correlations are made - they are not intrinsical.

16. Digiku

Digiku

Oldbie
    Tokoi's main thing isn't synthesized orchestra -- he mainly does a jazzy type of rock. I'd tack orchestra/semi-classical style onto Hideaki Kobayashi, Mariko Nanba, maybe Richard Jacques, and somewhat Fumie Kumatani. Also Tomoya Ohtani, kind of: FWIW, he sound produced both Sonic '06 and Unleashed, which were orchestra-heavy.

Sonic's always been host to different musical styles, starting with Jacques in 3D Blast. I happen to like the orchestra style best, but my guilty pleasure is indeed Jun Senoue's guitars. Adventure 1 and Black Knight were both his soundtracks, and they both present a wide variety of styles by themselves.

17. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    That's pretty much the point.

Which I like, it gives the games a fresh sound with each new one.

18. dsrb

dsrb

:psyduck:

‘You can't say that new music should follow the (range of) style(s) of its predecessors, because if they had used different styles, the style you just named would not be the same style’

PHILOSOPHY

19. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    A kind reminder to please keep discussion oriented towards generating questions. Thanks.

If you would like to discuss compositional similarities/differences, you're welcome to create a topic for that.

20. Palas

Palas

I'm saying rock isn't automatically cool or digitized beats isn't Sonic just because it is. If they create a whole different series right now, using some other music genre as the main, people will get used to it. It's already happening to Unleashed/Colors/Generations style anyway. If that fits your mockery, then yeah, PHILOSOPHY.

EDIT: That's a good question for Jun Senoue, by the way - or it's just me avoiding to avoid the topic.

*What genre or style of music does Jun think suits Sonic? He has already composed with many instruments and styles - from 3D Blast to Sonic Adventure to Sonic 4 - but what kind of music does he, as someone who has actually helped bluiding Sonic's distinctive music, think is better for Sonic?