don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    When horror is one of my most favorite things in the whole world, why would I ever forget one of the more scarier depictions of one of my all time favorite cartoon characters?

2. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I still think Saunich is slightly worse.

3. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Here! I can draw Sonic too!

[​IMG]

4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I sincerely believe you have broken Sonic's wrist.

5. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    :flunked:

6. GoGoThursday

GoGoThursday

I am a fan of the early Japanese Sonic art, so I would probably redesign the characters in that style (if I could draw). Like others have said, I think the mass appeal of "classic Sonic" was partly due to his cute appearance - the "attitude" and "edge" was less pronounced than with "modern Sonic".

I also have a soft spot for how us in the UK saw Sonic, ie. AoStH and Fleetway. It's a shame that most of the "zaniness" has been lost from that era.

I think one of the best renderings of Sonic has got to be from the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Archives covers. I would love this airbrushed/classic style to be used in future games!

[​IMG]

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Don't feel bad, Blaze, I really like that picture! =D

Yes, this. If I wouldn't use the more SA-styled characters, then I'd use this. And you know, it lets me notice that maybe characters like Sally Acorn and Rotor wouldn't be so bad in the series if they just kept the traditional Sonic design, rather than looking like characters from a completely different series altogether (I'm looking at you, SatAM). That, and if they were to refresh on the characters some. Allow Rotor to be the brains and let Tails be Sonic's best buddy/sidekick again, and make Sally something like Princess Elise except with a way better personality and has the will to fight more. Oh yeah, and without being a teenager with the voice of a 30 year old secretary. Heck, also throw in Nicole as your new Tikal/Omochao/Chip/whatever that sits around in floating data-orb things, giving you hints on the gameplay (that's optional). =P Oh yeah, and keep it at just those three, since to me Bunnie and Antione were sort of ho-hum characters that were nothing more than direct stereotypes of hicks with southern drawls and cowardly French people. And stop calling them Freedom Fighters, just let them be "Sonic's friends".

You know what, they're basically not the same characters anymore. :v:

8. Whackjood

Whackjood

9. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
  10. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

@Greg the Cat: Metal Sonic is WIN! ^^

Ok, let's bring up that thing again I made not long ago .... I would redesign it like this, it's good for the new fans (probably, but I'm not sure on that) and may also (eventually) please the oldy's!

[​IMG]

And for the lovers of realism, maybe this will suit you:

[​IMG]

And for those really Hardcore fans out there that are Hardcore to the Core, you might probably prefer this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    A quick time-travel to page 7;
    [​IMG]
    itt, Sonic Retro lectures aesthetics.

12. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    No thanks.

I like this though.

13. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    The one JoF drew, or the one which OSM posted which was cartoony.
    Either of those designs becoming a standard again, and I'd be pleased beyond measure.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Until someone adjusts his head shape to resemble that on his old design, it's going to remain ugly.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

Spaz's artwork used for the Archie archives is nice, however the problem with it is that it doesn't have too much of an original style to it and copies the classic artwork, which is the point of course, but I always thought that SPAZ's artwork in the comics around issues 40-60ish was the finest the comic ever had and some of the best Sonic artwork. It's the only art I think that actually sort of combines the modern and retro styles (With a slightly more retro feel of course) due to the characters slightly taller proportions (Not lanky though). It also is a fine combination of the Japanese and American styles at the time, taking some things from the American designs such as joints, Sonic's shoe design being more blocky, and the whole eye brow thing, but for the most part keeping the Japanese style intact. And when you think about it what was the Modernization design except for finding some way to combine styles, and adding in some other crap.

If I could redesign Sonic I would take the designs directly from this guy, and this goes the same for the styles of the other characters as well. I suppose that Robotnik would have to be redesigned though. SatAM Robotnik is neat but kinda too creepy for the games.

16. Classic Sonic design, specifically Sonic 2 has always sparked my interest. The only modification that would be more appealing to me would be golden buckles on his shoes. I wish he would have had that from the beginning, it looks attractive in his later character designs.

17. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    He had them from the start. American designers were too incompetent to realize it.

18. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I myself wouldn't redesign the blue blur… he looks fine the way he is.

19. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    OUCH. That really hurt.

20. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Hmm... I think Sonic 1/CD design should have carried through all the way. Yes, with buckles would have made it more attractive! Call me crazy for thinking that. We do have many different opinions. But as far as design goes, once again, my opinion, the true classic should have never changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.