How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    That looks pretty awesome, like a fuse of the Sonic '06 design with the CD one. His limbs could be shorter by a little, because right now they look like they're going all over the place. Other than that, I like it. And I like how his nose is more pointy.

Edit: Also lol two eyes.

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Y'know, after seeing this by KidNotorious on deviantART, I'd say I wouldn't be averse to this sort of redesign:
    [​IMG]

That, is a hedgehog (and echidna) with ATTITUDE.

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I'd go for that.

4. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I love this pic, but no. If Sonic ever looks like this outside of a "gimmick" game (IE: Sonic Battle had some punk-ish style going for it), I'm seriously done.

5. The eyes... They just look so wrong.

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Oh, come on, guys. That looks fucking rad. It reminds me of Ratchet & Clank and a sweet 2D indie game suddenly deciding they want to be a Sonic game and doing something fresh with the franchise.

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That's supposed to be a good thing? :psyduck:

(always found 2D indie games to have a really unappealing, "edgy" style anyways)

8. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    It honestly reminds me of Gorillaz Phase 2 artwork. Despite the fact that Phase 3 had reinvented the style YET AGAIN (and I personally love it best), I kind of see some potential in those designs. Just make them less angular and blocky.

Disregard. It still looks like shit, honestly, and his superhero designs are not that good either. No. Just a big no to that. There's no way I can defend those designs.

9. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I don't really like them. They only have four fingers, their eyes have no pupils, and they look creepy. The four fingers thing is really annoying, One of the things I like about Sonic is that it uses a cartoon style while having the right amount of fingers instead of using only four like so many people do. (Design choice be damned, it looks fucking stupid and it always will. Even on SatAM.)

10. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    I actually like this quite a bit. Some things need work in my opinion, like some things seem too exaggerated in my eyes. And like I've said before, I'd have more quills but in the same style of Sonic's hair, and give him more clothes.

You know, my main problem with the new years card Sonic recently had (other than herpderpperspectiveofhair but we've been through this elsewhere) is that he's not wearing pants, and that his shoes should be changed to fit his suit. However, the biggest challenge for me, with giving Sonic clothes... is making those clothes fit his canonical gloves and shoes, which the new years outfit failed at doing so with his shoes (but they did give him snazzy gloves).

I actually drew a concept design for "My version of Sonic" but sadly, my scanner is basically useless. I'm pretty sure it broke. I'd have to redraw it with a mouse, which would be shitty. Oh well, I suck at drawing anyways.

11. Vantoggle

Vantoggle

Even though the majority of woodland creatures only have up to four functional digits? :v:
    [​IMG]
    (Ironically Sega did their research.)

12. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Well played, Vantoggle, well played.

However, when considering science fiction theories of evolution and how animals will evolve into anthropomorphic creatures, the one digit that's not used (for cat's it's the do-claw), the one that's slightly higher up on the fore-arm than the paw could evolve into a thumb.

Oh look at this. It seems the hedgehog might have a closer thumb than most animals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice that even though the digits are not used as thumbs or pinky toes that they do make up 5 digits on each paw. So what can I conclude? This extra fifth digit, though useless to them now, will be useful when evolved into an anthropomorphic being. These fifth digits will elongate with maturing into a different being.

Birds are a different story and Sega's bird designs in this last decade are shit. Then again so are their bat designs.

But this is my over-analyzing things, so you could disregard this.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The bat design wasn't Sega's though.

14. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    Alright then. I'll bite. Was it Uekawa's? It's still Sega owned, nonetheless.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Actually, it was a fan design that Sega liked the look of. I remember the artist's name being Diane something, but I could be wrong.

Although, I could be wrong entirely. I last read about that when I was young and impressionable.

EDIT: Indeed, I can't find anything to corroborate that now.

16. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    4 fingers, 5 fingers. It's a cartoon; who cares. :psyduck:

17. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Maybe if Sonic were a Canadian flash cartoon that only lasted one season.

But otherwise no.

Who cares? Sonic Retro cares!

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Those KidNotorious drawings are bitchin' rad. Between this and Vantoggle's designs, I'm rather surprised at how radically Sonic's style can be mangled without rubbing me the wrong way when I'm generally so anal-retentive about this sort of thing. I guess the Adventure redesign is just so exceptionally terrible that I'm ready for anything, anything else.

TheKazeblade's design is truly horrid.

19. Vantoggle

Vantoggle

But small mammals started civilization in the Sonic Games as is evidenced by the Egyptian Pyramids, Myan temples, and Native American Teepees peppered throughout levels. It all makes so much sense!

Humans evolved from Echidnas! :specialed:
    + - Also the chao mutate into water monsters and birds evolved from Space Genies.  

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    The Knuckles one looks great, but that Sonic one just doesn't click at all. It looks more like it'll fit Crash Bandicoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.