don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Yeah, we're not going to be taking the overly realistic route with this. More of a cartoonish fire effect than anything will end up being used. The last time the staff talked about it, we came to the conclusion that having the orbs be forms of solidified fire with trails of flame spiraling them around would be an interesting avenue to pursue, but none of us have done any visual concepting on that note since.

2. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    So like this thing that I found on the first page of my first Google Images search for "Fireball." I think this was actually made during the last debate, but the user who posted it hasn't logged on seen since 2008. Now I know it hasn't been that long...
    [​IMG]
    link:http://everything2.com/user/fireball

3. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    First off, which fireball is even being discussed currently?

Ghora flames, the tiny ball the HTZ boss's gun shoots, or the lava bubbles that fly up when the boss hits the lava?

4. So I had this idea which could be very interesting. Would it be possible to add little lava embers into the air around the pits of lava? Or maybe at least around villains, or the lava pits for the HTZ Boss. That would look a lot more epic.

You can sort of see what I'm talking about in the top right of the image. I couldn't find anything better as an illustration.

[​IMG]

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    We're already planning on implementing a couple things that sound about the same as that, so yeah, it should work.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm bringing back up the tree. Are you really ignoring that the trunk you're suggesting does not fit the tree it's for? Why you won't use D as a design is completely beyond me, because not only does every other design look tacky as fuck, they doesn't make any goddamned sense. And I'm sorry—you can say "A blue hedgehog running around doesn't make sense!" all you want, but at least they didn't use a palmtree trunk for what appears to be more in line with a pine tree. Fuck sake.

Think for a second before trying to be authoritative, because you're looking really fucking ignorant right now.

7. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Being the only textured object in the entire game may be a bit tacky as well, but no matter. At least this tree has an approval rating higher than Obama's. Perhaps if the side indents were made smaller? The original sprite sucked pretty hard, so a direct remaster was equally displeasing, with this latest trunk being yet another attempt to spice it up. But also something else was proposed recently—the shadow and "underleaves." Those did more for the tree than any trunk has as of yet. Perhaps if someone could bring back one of T.O.'s (or someone else) trunks and slap the underleaves and shadow on it, perhaps you may find something you at least somewhat approve of, Tweaker.
    Anyway, to start discussion on something that is equally, or perhaps more important than the tree, here is a rough proposal for some lava.

standard image. (Yes, I know, the top isn't supposed to be wavy... :specialed: )
    [​IMG]

and in a small mockup:
    [​IMG]

8. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    HAHAHAHAHA. No it didn't. We were, politely mind you, told to shut up by the staff.

Looking REALLY nice.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    That trunk of mine was simply an idea (a rather rough one) that we may or may not use in the end. I'm still brainstorming ideas for the thing. Even then, I still don't know what to do about the top.

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    If you ask me, the top is fine, and trunk D is fine too. What is it about the top that puts you off?

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Pretty much everything, I guess. The original doesn't transition well into high quality graphics.

12. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    I thought this might help, here's mockups showing both tree B and D, respectively.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Tree D is starting to look like a good choice, but I still like the bevel idea.

14. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Here's a more Sonic and less realistic version of the tree, using Zemulli's underleaves (slightly modified), and T.O.'s trunk, with a slight shadow.
    [​IMG]
    edit: That shadow is crap. It could be much better.

15. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Hamneggs, I'm actually liking the simplicity of that trunk.

It looms a bit flat though, could you give it more depth?

16. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Hmm, does this help?
    [​IMG]

I took off my craptacular shadow, and simply elongated T.O.'s original shadow. Is this a way around using either "D bark" or "B-ing blocky?"

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That is the perfect compromise.

18. Flare

Flare

It's odd. I hated the idea of bevel as it looked odd zoomed out. But up close it looks detailed and beautiful. Sonic 2 is full of details that I worry get lost when upscaled. However ideas like this make me want to play this now! Ha.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

I love it! Is it time to work on something else now? :3

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    How any of you can think that putting the realistic texture work in the D concept in and believing that it fits is completely beyond everyone on staff. There is absolutely nothing else in the zone that even comes close to working with it stylistically.

Tweaker, I appreciate your honesty. Really, I do. But on this we're going to have to agree to disagree. Call me or the staff whatever you want, but it's not going to change the fact that the bark style you're such a fan of is not going to be in the game.

Hamneggs, thank you for bringing that idea back. That one does work extremely well, and the shadowing on it isn't an eyesore. Putting more contrast on the grooves helped it out immensely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.