don't click here

Hai guys. I Sonic Generationed.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Polygon Jim, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Bubble Shield = Bounce Bracelet (with breathing underwater)
    Fire Shield = Air Dash/Homing Attack with no enemies around (with fire protection)
    Electric Shield = Well, the electric shield, but with a double jump (And projectile bouncing)

Sega does things alot of times with the right idea, or good intentions, but the execution of these ideas comes off poor, far from the original, or just cheep.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Twice. '06 and Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis.

What I'm most curious about is whether some scripted events can simply be disabled, to see how well the engine handles these things on its physics alone. There would be little more disheartening than to find that things which work just fine on their own were scripted anyway.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

I'm sorry. :(

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Oh look, it's Sonic 4, except not shitty.

Now enable boost.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I can't say I hate this.

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
  7. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I am crying. Right now.

Maybe there's leftover code for Classic Sonic's boost, too! :v:

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

And then I made rolling better. It took a whole 1 value change. So hard.

9. Yeah, that's really better, way better.

10. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Maybe its a typo that Sonic Team will fix.

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    What variable was it and what's the new value? =P

12. So THIS is why we have the PC version. Make us proud Polygon Homing attack.

13. Neoblast

Neoblast

Nice; this is awesome.
    I agree sik there, what value was it?

14. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Jim. I hope you are in contact with some SEGA higher up's that can show the generations team, what you did to the physics. They really need to look at that

15. Is it just me being cynical, or does anyone else consider Sega to go "hey guys we heard you didn't like the physics / spin dash / rolling so we fixed it based on fan feedback!"

Only for them to of already done it, and not just turned it on / fixed it in the first case. If you know what I mean.

16. Retroman

Retroman

I love you.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku

I haven't been able to play any of the demo's so its been watching a lot of youtube videos here for over a week, but even from those you can really see the difference in the rolling, much much better.

Narstyle: It could be a little joke from Sega, knowing we'd hack the thing to pieces inside a few days, having the fix right there as a surprise for us to find and impliment, having the value changed properly for the final product. If not one email, one little tweak and the things fixed anyway.

18. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    That rolling does look better than what the demo had, but it still looks like it could be changed more. Rolling down those slopes, he should accelerate more.

19. I know that Retro has elements of a hacking community and such, but I highly think that Sega released this and genuinely thought it wouldn't get hacked. This could just be my opinion but when you take in consideration that they released this early as a birthday celebration and such. It is silly for them to leave stuff in the demo, but it shouldn't of been seen. You only need to ask a sega representative regarding the zone lists and elemental shields and they'll close up and say "we can't discuss that at the moment". It's public knowledge by now!

20. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Since people don't seem to understand, it wasn't like <BetterRolling>0</BetterRolling>, I just increased the velocity the roll can do, it was set very low before so I just raised it and it allows you to roll at a much higher speed. No SUPAR SEKRIT Sega conspiracy here. Don't count on the rolling being fixed in the final as it takes months of beta testing to make sure things like this don't break a single thing in any other levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.