don't click here

Hai guys. I Sonic Generationed.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Polygon Jim, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Well, I'm liking those shields save for one little thing......

When Sonic has the Bubble Barrier equipped he bounces right through the enemy instead of bouncing off of it. What the hell?

2. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Well fuck.

I'm curious to know how the shields work for Modern, if they do at all.

They look to work quite well; hopefully they see SOME use outside of Sky Sanctuary, if not in main acts then in the smaller ones.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I don't mind how floaty the Bubble Shield seems, in a way it seems more right. Also, I don't think they will be used only in Sky Sanctuary, unless they plan to incorporate a water section into it, and I don't see why they'd do such a thing.

Also:

+ - Sonichu Generations   :specialed: :flees, hides, changes name:

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    so before I bitch, I'm going to flat out say I still fucking love this game and will buy it on day 1.

This is the first time though I've seen something I feel is off, it might just be me, but the shields feel....like theyre from a shitty fan-game or something. The electric shield seems like a halfassed double jump, and the bubble doesnt even have any animations. It looks....halfassed. but again, this is a type of prototype.

5. The shields look wonderful. :specialed:

Also perhaps the floating of the bubble shield might be an error, like that's how the shield behaves underwater. I haven't gotten any chance to mess around with the PS3. Hell I don't even know how. I just wish someone could repackage the file with the full options screen and Modern playable.

6. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    I know I shouldn't be surprised but...are you guys seriously bitching and moaning about a bubble shield being floaty?

Jesus christ. This is why we can't have nice things.

On the subject of the shield though, does this imply we'll be getting water sections for Classic? Because even if we don't get any for Modern, I'd be alright with at least Classic getting some in. And the fire shield appears to be Classic's Air Boost. Heh. Lightning shield is just as fuck awesome as it always was. I'm down with this.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's odd how Sonic doesn't bounce from the enemies after using the bubble shield against them, but those look pretty cool.

I'm guessing they don't work in Modern's level?

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    This is Sonic Retro, what were you expecting? :v: Though if it was me, I'd make it between what it's now and the normal jump height. That'd probably do it.

If anything, I'm more worried about the lighting shield's double jump. Like, two SFXs are being played at the same time - the shield's own SFX and the jump SFX. Why is the jump SFX being played? I guess I should hope it's incomplete and eventually it'll get fixed =P

9. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    I noticed that too and same thing is with the Bubble shield. When Sonic jumps, jump and bubble SFX are both heard. I did not hear anything with the fire one though...

Otherwise, I love what am I seeing and I don't see anything wrong. Im usually easy acceptable at everything. If things are like this, then they are.

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Moral of the story: If Sonic Generations has taught me anything, it's that no matter what Sega does, it will never be good enough. :specialed:

I don't like the fact that Sonic doesn't bounce off enemies with the bubble shield, but everything else seems fine. Heck, I even like the idea that the bubble shield is floaty. I don't really care if the final game has them work exactly like the classics, but it'd be cool.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It just weirds me out that the bubble seems to give better jumping capabilities (certainly by distance if not height) than the lightning shield, but on the other hand I always felt the bubble was gimped to the point of uselessness in any level that didn't have water in S3K.

Was there an instance where the double jump feature of the bubble shield was more useful than that of the lightning shield? I'd be willing to suppose there are a couple spots in Hydrocity and Launch Base 2 like that, but other than that, I can't think of any.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Just about any time there was a badnik or an item box, and a lack of ceiling, opportunities would rise.

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

The bounce may be fixed for the final version, as this is a hacked move and from a demo prototype no less. From the general lack of bounce from normal jumps however, it's most probable that it won't. In this case Bubble Shield might not be my favourite anymore. This was one of the oomphs! that made me lose so much time with Sonic 3 & K as a child, because I exploited it a lot like the poster above says. However, I like the floatiness, it's quite appropriate.

Fire shield is still the most useless. I wouldn't mind if it got some kind of revamp. For example, be able to destroy certain walls that normal spin can't (like the flame ring summersault upgrade in Adventure 2). What more uses for it? Higher horizontal translation is already secured by the spindash at all times.

14. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    But how many times have Sonic fans said, "It'll be fixed in the final version" and it wasn't?

15. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

That is true. But it is a demo and while that would have settled it, this is furthermore a hacked feature built into an engine that didn't have it previously. It might still be in the middle of construction.

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Yeah, anyone who has played the demo has surely noticed the incredible lack of variety in the game's item boxes. Word on the street is newer demos have a few more item boxes in GHZ Act 1, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're still working on the various shields and whatnot.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    How many times we were happy with something and then Sega breaks it in the final version?

18. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    How many times has Sega screwed up an anniversary game horribly?

Just once, but that was somewhat recent...

19. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Personally, I don't like the bubble shield being floaty on rebound. The shields are supposed give him new abilities. Not change his physics mid-use. If anything, the bubble shield always felt like it was turning Sonic into a bouncy ball. Pretty much like how the bounce bracelet worked in SA2.

When I think bubble shield, I think bounce bracelet as well.

This...is not the bubble shield to me, especially since you don't even bounce/rebound off enemies.

Thinking about it, this shield is closer to SA2's bounce bracelet than S3K's bubble shield in an overall sense, as you don't rebound off enemies in SA2 when you use the bounce bracelet and you tend to linger in air after a rebound, more than you do with a normal jump.

20. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    1. WHO FUCKING CARES
    2. why is all this fucking autistic nitpicking in a hacking thread and not in the main generations thread where it belongs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.