don't click here

Getting controller to work in Sonic Adventure DX

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Captain L, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    So, I got Sonic Adventure DX on Steam, and I was waiting for my Classic Controller to USB adapter to arrive before playing it. So I launch the configuration app, and it says it can't find a controller. Alright, so it can only recognize 360 controllers then, it's a common problem with PC games, so I download x360ce to make the computer think I'm using a 360 controller. The setup utility runs fine, and I move the configuration files into the Adventure DX directory. Still can't find the controller. I renamed the xinput1_3.dll file it made to xinput_9_1_0.dll, a suggestion I read online. Can't find a controller. So I try running x360ce in the Adventure DX directory, and it gives me an error message "Unhandled exception has occured". So I've just given up and am asking for help now.

2. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    You could just set up the controller in Xpadder and set the game's keyboard controls to buttons on your controller.

3. Machenstein

Machenstein

I use Better DS3. It's like MotioninJoy's DS3, but you don't need an Internet connection and there's no spyware.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't somebody make a hack / patch so you could play SA1 with a 360 controller?

5. Dashtube

Dashtube

'Cause I find memes funny Member
    Sonic Exodus
    This is pretty much the fastest/easiest solution you can find. I personally use it for a wireless Logitech with alot of games since alot of them tend to only support the Xbox 360 Controller (or in a number of cases, not support controllers at all)

6. Captain L

Captain L

I have Xpadder installed, the problem is that it can't read the analog sticks correctly, it always thinks they're off center. I think the Classic Controller's analog sticks are really sensitive, because it thinks the left stick is always slightly pointing up and right, and the right stick always slightly pointing left.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    For the 2004 port yes, it just disables the second analog stick. This is the Steam version, which does not natively support anything but a 360 controller.

8. Captain L

Captain L

Alright, I got it fixed. It involved making a new string value somewhere in the Sonic Adventure DX folder, and then doing some weird things with x360ce.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2190387

And now for the last weird problem with the game, finishing the Chaos 0 fight to test out the controller, I noticed the subtitles sometimes appear after the character's started talking. Is this just something Adventure did, or do I need to change something else?

Oh, and the game only accepts 8 directions on the analog stick, nothing in between. A shame, because I've heard Sonic's control and handling in this game is the best of the 3D games. IT'S BACK TO ADVENTURE 2 FOR ME

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    When I get the PC version of this game someday, I hope I can get my GameCube controller to work with it. I've had no lucking getting my GameCube controller to work with Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. :/ I hate how so many damn developers are so lazy with controller support and only support the 360 controller. If anyone is interested, I previously made a topic about my issues getting my GameCube controller to work with Windows 7 and was able to get it to work great with games like Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed and Limbo.

10. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Speaking of controller issues, I have a relatively minor one with the 2003/04 version atm. I'm using one of these useful gizmos (alternative piccy) due to its PS-like setup and a magic switch on the back that lets you switch between XInput and DirectInput at will.

The controller works wonderfully with the 2010/11 version in XInput, and I have no problem using the default button setup. The same controller can also be used with 2003/04 under DirectInput mode, provided I manually set up the controls within the game. One thing I noticed however, is that while the right analog stick works for camera control in both versions, the 2003/04 release will only let me move the camera vertically, whereas in 2010/11 I can move it in all directions. Does anyone know why this is, and if it's possible to rectify?

Also also also, has anyone ever managed to get rumble working in 03/04? At first I thought it just didn't have the support for it like in 10/11, but then I remembered there's a rumble switch in the options. So there must be a way to get it to recognise my controller's vibration function.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The controller code is a mystery to me.

12. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Is it also normal for 03/04 to force the 16:9 format in windowed mode, even if you select 640x480? Seems a tad odd that 10/11 is all like "you'll get 4:3 and like it!" and 03/04 doesn't even acknowledge it.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    SADX doesn't specify a window size, so you're stuck with whatever Windows gives you. My trainer has a button that gives you the correct window size for your resolution, but getting SADX to do that itself would require adding some functions to its imports.

14. Captain L

Captain L

Just another really strange note, unless I map the controller in Xpadder and tell it where all the buttons and sticks are, the computer doesn't recognize it.