don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Are the ones with "SEGA" on them actually licensed? Usually I'd say no, but I know how SEGA are with the Mega Drive, because they market it to fuck as their "main" console ever and even market it in the UK to shit companies who make shit versions.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They're all unlicensed. Stealing logos just helps on their quest to look legitmate (although this is counterbalanced by the fact they also want to look new and different).

3. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Could someone quick check if the (J) version of Streets of Rage 2 is region free or not? The USA version says a "I only work on usa systems lololol" message for sure.

4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    It's byte-for-byte identical to the EU version so will boot on both JP and EU Mega Drives; it will not boot on a US system, however.

5. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    OK, different question then, anyone has a picture of the cart pcb of either the pal or jp versions?

6. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

PAL version;

©SEGA1992 MADE IN JAPAN 171-6329A

[​IMG]

7. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Thanks.

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Does anyone have a good condition Shadow Dancer Genesis cartridge they would be willing to upload scans of? My copy has barely any label on it, and I'd like to make a new one. I can't find a good picture to work with online.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    VHS cassettes. I made a preliminary list a while ago but ?Uno10 inspired me to do more. So I did

category:
    http://segaretro.org/Category:VHS_videos

image dump
    http://segaretro.org/User:Black_Squirrel/VHS

Most of these are on YouTube already, it's just a case of bringing this stuff together and documenting their contents. However, there are probably quite a few that haven't been identified yet - a lot of these I only discovered through eBay (I.e. there's no meaningful internet documentation) and the fact nobody cares means this stuff can easily be overlooked

And it really shouldn't - here's one of interest which contains unedited footage from prototype builds of Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Cop on the Saturn (and others... but the differences aren't as noticable (also RRPs!)). Very unfinished stuff, and I now need to find out what a "1995 Summer Toy Show" is (Tokyo Toy Show?).

Also on the look out for books and guides and whatever
    http://segaretro.org/Category:Books
    http://segaretro.org/User:Black_Squirrel/Publications

Yes that is Super Monaco GP, the novel. There are lots of Mega Drive guide books in Japan (particularly for the Shining and Phantasy Star games), but I'm running into translation issues. The main hurdle is people not really putting this stuff online though - a lot of this promotional stuff is considered pretty worthless.

10. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I subscribed to S/Sega Power since I got the first issue of S which I received for free with my SMS for Christmas 1989. For some reason Sega Power decided they needed to give away a gift and decided a novel about a current Sega game would be a good ide. These came free with Sega Power for a few months. Unfortunately I lost all of these years along along with the rest of my Sega magazine collection. I've recollected a lot of my previous collection, but can't seem to find any mention of these on the cover of Sega Power magazine (maybe they were just a "bonus" for subscribers?). Still, I re-own three of these #1 Golden Axe, #2 Road Rash, and #3 Super Monaco GP. I'm sure there is at least one more about Desert Strike. I also own the free audio cassette from issue 40 of Sega Power. Not only does it include three of here "greatest" hits, it also contains her reading out tips for several SMS and SMD games. Is an audio cassette section now required?

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah I've seen the Desert Strike one, although I was on the fence whether to bother with it as it's not strictly "Sega"

this will cover audio cassettes (even if it's not strictly speaking an "album"). I've come across a small handful of cassettes although I think Sega Game Music Vol.3 After Burner might be the only one that's actually covered. Off the top of my head there's one that was distributed with The Lucky Dime Caper Starring Donald Duck, and US Gold threw in some music with some home computer ports of OutRun. Most of this stuff is listed on VGMDB, it can just be a pain trawling through it. Japan seem to move almost exclusively to CDs by 1990 which is why that medium dominates

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I'm fairly sure that the Japanese Sega Video Magazine tapes also have those... except for the American games.

13. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Hm...is the Bonanza Bros arcade marquee already on Sega Retro Wiki? I found this and I think it's not on the wiki

[​IMG]

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Best bet is to upload it (with an appropriate filename) and we do something with it at some point.

We haven't really started to deal with arcade cabinet artwork, but it's on the long list of things to do.

15. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    [​IMG]

Download Rom: Shining Force 3 Sample Sega Saturn (J) (Orengefox).7z

I'm not sure how many of these Japanese Sega Saturn Samples were ever dumped and how readily available they are to download online. I've asked some people and had a quick look around but couldn't find much regarding these sort of discs. I thought I might as well post this one up onto Retro before it got sold off.

I've posted here as I didn't see the point of making a topic for it.

16. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    About 2/5ths of Japanese Saturn samplers are dumped, and that one in particular was dumped back in 2006 by rosewood.
    Better to have it dumped twice then not once, though!

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Something possibly of interest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1DXt9ryPY

I can't read Japanese so my facts may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is a section of this VHS/LaserDisc:
    [​IMG]

the last three or four minutes is the part I care about - a cast of characters and a credits screen... neither of which appear in the arcade game if you play it under normal circumstances. My guess is there's a secret code somewhere or a set of undocumented conditions that need to be met to see those screens. Or maybe they're not in the final game at all!

this video is also meant to cover Thunder Blade and OutRun... although those parts aren't on the internet (or rather, I can't find them if they are)

18. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Chicken Legs? Does that mean Galaxy Force is set in the same universe as Golden Axe and Altered Beast?

Mind = Blown.

19. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    If that is used, the text does not appear in the gforce2 set; I would have caught it back in January if it was (it does contain more bizarre strings referring to the "Debutta Boys"). I haven't looked at the two Japanese sets, though, but I'm still not sure if those parts landed in the final game or if they were specifically made for that video. Also I think most of those names are unique? I don't quite remember...

also lol "Special No Thanks"

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    My suspicion is that it's the original Galaxy Force rather than Galaxy Force II, although we'll not know for certain until someone dumps it