don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Just to confirm

Are there any official French, German, Spanish, Italian etc. translations for Phantasy Star II/III? At the moment large chunks of the net say these two games were released in "Europe", but under closer inspection, this looks more like the United Kingdom (and other English speaking territories) exclusively.

There's Portuguese versions for Brazil and Korean ones for South Korea, but from the looks of things, pan-Euro translations weren't in full swing until Phantasy Star IV - correct?

2. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Probably still released in the rest of Europe but just in English, like SMS Phantasy Star. Should have been released in Scandinavia at least, as it's in BRIO's storeroom of Sega products they distributed (they tried to keep at least one copy of everything they sold).

[​IMG]

3. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I've also just noticed it advertised in a multilingual brochure I have, which was presumably distributed throughout Europe close to MD release.

[​IMG]

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Those look like placeholder images - could have been planned for a pan-Euro release only for it not to get one

should also point out this applies to Sword of Vermilion too... and possibly other RPGs but I think I have all of them accounted for.

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    The only Megadrive RPG released in Spanish was Soleil.

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    It looks like you also got The Story of Thor and Light Crusader, though the latter is a multi-language game.

7. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Did the Japanese Saturn analog controller come in any other color than white?

Just want to know before I consider buying controllers where the only image is the red-and-grown box-art. I actually want the white one, to go with my white Saturn...

8. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Since nobody responded, I just wanted to note that A) I went ahead and bought one of these, and B) they're in stock if you wanted to try it with me.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I had no idea this was even a thing. This alone might have been worthy enough for its own topic in General Sega Discussion. The 3rd Party AC Adapter I bought for my Sega CD is not getting enough power to the unit to run the drive motor. It works fine on my SMS, though. Getting a reliable single AC adapter for all three consoles would be awesome. How much was it? The price is not listed anymore, as it is sold out.

10. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    $30.48 for a Duo (Model 1 Genesis, Model 1/2 Sega CD).

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Evening all,

I have a question which I hope someone could answer for me. I have a Sega Mega Drive controller (original Model I 3 button) that is clean and new and works perfectly... well, except for one issue; if I plug it in and push the plug all the way in to the socket, the controller buttons don't all function. I have to leave it a tiny bit loose for the controller to work normally. My other controller is fine, so I'm wondering what's up wit this one?

I would have thought that if there was a connection issue, then surely pushing the connector pins right together to their maximum would help solve the issue, not cause it. As it stands, it's barely loose, and it's not at an angle or anything (I used to have to do this as a child with one controller), and I'm just perplexed and a little bit intrigued as to why it only works when it's left like... a millimetre loose.

Any ideas!?

12. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Some pages ago it was asked whether or not SC-3000H has more RAM. Answer is that it still has 2KBytes like the earlier models.

13. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I have another question maybe someone can answer; Can I have an aerial and RGB cable plugged in to my Mega Drive at once without harming it? I like to switch between picture quality for games that use dithering.

14. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Both can be used at the same time with no negative consequences.

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Thanks TmEE, I owe you one. I didn't think it could cause harm seeing as both ports should be running regardless, but I didn't wanna damage my Mega Drive and I don't know if anyone's ever asked that question before online!

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Genesis 3 clone of the day... and indeed most days

[​IMG]
    no it's not a case mod

I've gone back to the project of trying to document every unlicensed Sega clone that exists. There's tons and it will be exceedingly difficult to track down the 1:1 Mega Drive bootlegs, but these things aren't "easy" to make - there can only be a finite amount and a handful of companies responsible. I've dug tons of crap out of the Argentinian Mercado Libre in recent days and have amassed an army of tat. Now I'm toying with Russia, where Taiwanese manufacturers still make Mega Drive clones to this day. Makes you wonder if they're any better than the stuff from AtGames

This is just an open shoutout to anyone who might have any information, because it's a massive topic of mostly undocumented stuff and I don't know if I'm getting all the facts right. Highlights include going out to try and find better photos of the elusive Scorpion XVI Mega Drive clone (sold in the UK!), only to find... eight undocumented variants of the system and a truckload of others.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    this thrills you, you just don't know it yet

identify

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

these are a bunch of Magistr Drives I came across. Looking for details about built-in games (if there are any) and boxes and whatever. They're all from Russia.

This is a question I can probably solve eventually but we work better as a team.

18. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Family is a Thai electronics brand formed in 1986. In 1987 they launched their first Famiclone, and would go on to sell 5,000,000 consoles in Thailand up to 2002 when they pulled out of the video game market to concentrate on VCD and DVD players. Aside from their Famiclones (FR-102, FR-202) they also released Mega Drive (FR-302) and Super Famicom (FR-402) clones.

This advert is from an issue of Thai magazine "Mega" from around 1994.

[​IMG]

Some came with a gun, others didn't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's a classy looking clone - nice find

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If you're strange like me and are curious to know whether people are still cloning the Mega Drive 2 today, well...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    2010/2012

they kind-of are, twenty years after that shell was first released on the world. You don't have things like Mega CD support and the build quality is lousy, but it's a neat little thing nonetheless. I think these are from Thailand... not entirely sure. And you can get them in a wide variety of different box colours because you need this. I always want my tat in yellow