don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazade

kazade

A 2D Physics Engine
    Sigh, this is the way it should have always been done. But you and I both know that it'll only happen when hell freezes over...

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    There is so, so much wrong with this comment. @_@ I hate how people can't down vote comments on Kotaku.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Damn, those new graphics look gorgeous... But about the new small clouds, I feel that so many of them look a bit out of place.

The title screen looks specially spot-on with the original art style, even though Sonic's thumb being under the other fingers makes his hand look a bit odd. Can't wait to see it animated.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The only thing I see wrong with that comment are the comments about the length of Sonic 4, it's
    challenge", and it's monetary value.

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The guy claims Sonic 4 has a solid engine. I don't know how anyone could believe that. >_>

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Oh dear, did I step into the Sonic 4 thread?

No?

Cut it out then.

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I have nothing against putting up a public changelog. We're working on a visual version of that to present in the next couple days actually. It won't be one massive infodump, but it will be the first in a series that show where people before this weekend thought the project was at, and where it's come since then. Once that gap in knowledge has been covered, we'll go on to more things that are being worked on.

And yes, there's a lot of comparisons being drawn on other forums. There's been more than enough talk about those on here as it is. I don't think asking for the discussion to be kept relevant to this project is too much to ask given that this is the general feedback thread for S2HD.

8. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Just a quick nitpick about Sonic in the title screenshot, compared to Tails and his tan parts, his blue parts don't look like they have enough shade contrast. He looks a little flat.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I seem to remember saying this in another topic. It's because the control lock upon rolljumping was removed a la Sonic CD, thus there's no need to run. He is an idiot, though. But anyway, back to S2HD:

There's something I don't like about how the art meshes together. I can't quite put my finger on it, though.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    You know, I didn't mean for my comment to come across that way. Looking back, I can't see how it couldn't come across that way. So I'm sorry.

CK, what was the blog for if it wasn't originally supposed to be used as a public changelog?

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Looks like the only artistic contribution I made - that just about everyone liked - has been replaced completely by a boring "TV static" effect :( (and that monitor placement still needs to be fixed; it could do with having dome grass in front of it)

*edit* [see image 1] although it's very hard to pause it at the right place to see other parts of the animation

12. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    probably because we only have room for one generic 'static' sprite

13. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    So you're basically cutting corners then. Got it.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I wouldn't take it personally. There's probably a very good reason why they don't have room. Let's just wait until they draw up those curtains and see for ourselves.

15. kazade

kazade

A 2D Physics Engine
    Room? What's limiting the space for sprites?

Luke.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Yes, I heard there might not be enough space or something for the trees to be animated... I didn't know we had these sorts of limitations, but I'm sure the staff can work around them efficiently.

17. They want the game to be able to fit on WiiWare, for when SEGA buys Sonic 2 HD off Sonic Retro to sell it so they can try to get fans back after the other HD Sonic platforming game disaster, of course.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    This wasn't funny, and I feel compelled to reveal the stupidity in this comment.

S2HD is being optimized for a resolution the Wii can't handle. Herp.

+ - I dunno if you were serious or not, but that annoyed me for some reason.  

19. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    It's not cutting corners, it's trying to fit in as much as we can without bogging down the system we're working in. Just because a game is 2D doesn't mean it's not utilizing 3D hardware to do so, and in this instance that means very large textures. And many layers of said textures. This applies to the sprites, the foreground level art, the background art; everything you see on screen at once. As difficult as it may be to believe, we have limits to what can be added. So far I believe we've done a great job.

Before you judge the project from your perception, you'd do well to consider what the game development process entails. Instead of making those assumptions, ask for reasons.

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I think you're doing fine. You've got all the flashy (not .swf-y, the other flashy) animations in the important things, like Sonic. Even the extra frames in the skid animation are important to the fluidity.

I'll be happy just as long as problems in the future won't mean cutting things from other zones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.