don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I'm inclined to agree here too. Having an outline around Sonic merely emphasises just how flat and 2D Sonic really is; giving him an outline does not make him "more HD", it just makes him more 2D. It'll definitely be looking more like a Sonic version of Paper Mario than a Sonic game with outlines like that.

2. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I feel that the games were ment to look like they had been computer generated, not toon.

but a possibility could be that we have a load of filter for the game e.g

next gen filter (LOTS OF BLOOM)
    toon filter (outlines stuff)
    unreal engine 3 filter (makes everything brown / grey)

of course this would only be if we have a bit of extra time.

3. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    ...It changes anything on the badnik?...It does look like a monkey, a metal red and silver monkey, with the same features, just with more detail. Same concept, better artwork. We are not following the original sprites and retracing everything...that one was made from scratch looking at the original sprite printed at high res... To me, it looks good, but...Lets ask others ^^

So, guys, what do you thing?

...That indeed looks like shit.

This is not the "cartoon" style we are looking for, the Sonic world is a mix between toons with metallic shades, and "artificial worlds" with lot of squares and geometric patterns after all. Im against the use of outilines.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Better is just an oppinion, just like I think it looks worse. I don't think it's enough for it to be "a metal red and silver monkey" when we already have a stablished look for it in the Japanese manual.

For example, I think that thing in his cheek is way too out of place, the bolts in his forehead are too noticeable (was it really needed to add another one, anyway?), the thing at the end of his tail is way too big (it should be just a seamless part of it), and those new joints in the tail are quite unnecessary. Not to mention the two bolts in his body are now in a different place for no good reason (what's the deal with that?).

You know, going by that logic, we could start adding earrings, bracelets and long lashes to Sonic, because it would still be a "blue hedgehog in red sneakers", if the majority of the people here would think it looked cool. =|

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I love it. Just the right amount of detail in my mind. Don't put anymore additional features as that would just be over board. ICEknight it's a shame your not a fan of it.

6. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    Bearing in mind that, although very pretty, it's just a hi-res trace with a confident grin added to it. It just seems to me and many others that people aren't wanting to take the idea further than what was laid down in the first place. It seems like people are too scared experimenting with different styles, rather than do what's already been done in hi-res.

Seriously, look to SSF2THDR for inspiration. They got Udon comics to do the sprite art, and it's amazing. Look to a comic/cartoon style, rather than this clean-cut smooth style that's been laid down. I can't stress enough that the team can do so much better.

7. Disregarding how many frames are dodgy, and how abosuletly shit the game looks in motion. 

8. Elratauru

Elratauru

The problem is not about "it was really need to add other things"... But we all know people like detail, I added details to places that were just empty to me... For example, some things could be unnecessary, you are totally right...But people like how it looks, maybe the same aplies to the egg-mobile I made before...I did a unnecessary cut with screws in the main body...but It looks good, nobody ever complained about "HEY THATS TOTALLY WRONG"... I even added unnecesary screws in the whole machine... and what?, nobody is gonna think that's wrong, players watch the machine as a whole, not by part while playing the game.

We are not just retracing artwork, after all, we are improving even the original concepts sometimes, The loop that Gambit was doing, its not exactly like the original...you could notice some parts are not exactly, and he even created new tiles for that parts. But nobody is gonna look each tile, they are gonna look the whole loop.

I like your criticsm Ice, and I understand that we need to follow the original concepts, but sometimes the original concepts are too "1990" for a 20 years later game, and we need to look at 2009 games right now...It will feel outdated if we not look at modern gaming.

Empty space = Add detail, that's how it works in my mind...I added the necessary detail to make it feel new and refreshed ^^

Im glad you like it.

9. DistroyA

DistroyA

Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    That's the thing; you added details that weren't originally there, adding more definition to the Egg-Mobile. It seems like more definition work has gone into the badniks than Sonic and co (And backgrounds as well...).

At the moment, Sonic and co look too bland and samey for their own good, despite looking nice. They just need something to stand out more and amaze, because, in the end, people will get over the newness of this project, and just see it for what it is; hi-res Sonic 2 instead of HD Sonic 2.

@ICE; Why are the extra details on Kiki/Coconuts unnecessary? Do they not show that the critter is actually more robotic than was originally shown? This should be seen as a good thing, and not a bad thing.

10. Elratauru

Elratauru

...Well, Actually, believe me, sonic and co are being perfected by Vincent, and about the backgrounds we got surprises there =P... We got new art for almost everything, but we need to wait a little before showing the big surprises =P

The staff is doing badniks, level, background and object tests for doing each thing look flawless... So, believe me, all the characters and badniks are going to look in the same world, the problem with badniks and characters was that characters are "made" of fur, and the badniks are metal... so, they needed to be diferent after all.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hoo boy, don't even get me started about making new tiles. That grass is a major pain to align. A pixel or two in the original generally makes everything tile all nice and neat, but holy shit when there's multiple shades on each tile in some spots AND different shapes to align, it gets ugly. Very fast. I honestly think the first stage is going to be the most difficult one to do, and that's only because of the grass.

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    What about the 5th?

I mean, I assume we're going to try and change up the tileset for Hill Top so it no longer looks like a cheap palette swap, right?

13. bobrocks95

bobrocks95

Whoa whoa whoa, somebody needs to take a look at the books.

High-Resolution = High-Definition

They're one and the same:

HDTV = TV in a higher resolution, ie High-Definition.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Perhaps, though it's uncertain right now. We might just be lazy and swap the palettes, or we might do that and add some stuff. Nobody has really thought too much past Emerald Hill. I imagine we will do some other things with Hill Top Zone, though.

15. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    imagine the same thing, only citing Blazblue instead of HD remix.

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I hope they don't as Hill Top Zone is one of my favourite levels and it would annoy the shit out of me if it was changed, and would probably annoy some fans of the level as well. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

17. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    [​IMG]

where is the extra detail?

I'm sorry but what do you propose Vincent adds to the sonic sprites?

I feel that anything added to it wouldn't look right at all.

18. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    That's the point, it's broken. They only did a palette swap due to restrictions.

If we did change it, one third of the people will love us for correcting what went wrong and two third will hate us. Considering that two third will probably be wearing nostalgic glasses and just find anything to bitch about, I think that one third is worth it. Evolution, no conservatism please.

19. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Will you also be changing Death Egg's art, then?

I mean, that wasn't even a palette swap!

20. DistroyA

DistroyA

Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Good one. Next joke please.

Seriously, You can't fully trust Wikipedia. So no, Hi-Res != Hi-Def. High resolution just improves the detail that was there already. High Definition adds more to it, giving the image more definition.

OH YEAH! :3

EDIT: Also

@Hodgy; You miss the point here. Sonic was a cartoon character made for a videogame. Now he's made to look more realistic in the latest videogames (To say that you compared classic Sonic with modern Sonic is possibly one of the most redundant moves I've ever seen...), of which kinda gets rid of the whole cartoon aspect of the character.

Also, can I see any extra detail in that image? Fur highlights, more realistic light reflection on the whites of his eyes. Oh yeah, and the green eyes they gave him back in Sonic Adventure. Enough for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.