don't click here

EGGEN (The EGG-Engine)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Damizean, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, EspaƱa
    Various projects
    [​IMG]

What the f-
    As some of you already know, I've been working on a Sonic physics engine for Unity, called the EGG-Engine. The goal of the engine is to mimic as closely as possible the original games physics in a 2.5D environment (a la Generations/Unleashed). So far progress on the engine has been very slow, due to university, exams and social life. Most of the features present on the engine had been implemented for months (as you could've seen in the Chemical Plant beta release of SFR).

So far it features the following:
    • Sonic physics, including the basic actions (Run, Brake, Roll, Spindash, Look Up, Crouch Down, Hurt and Dead).
    • Rings.
    • Springs.
    • Spikes.
    • Item Boxes (With no effect).
    • B-Spline paths.
    • Badniks (MotoBug and BuzzBomber as example).
    • Various other things on engine level.

So what do you want from us?

Well, I took some relax time from exams period and decided it could be fun to make a small test release. I'll also be interested in getting some feedback on the perfomance of the test, so if you can post your average FPS along your computer specs, it'll give me an idea on how optimiced the engine is so far and what might have to change.

Don't worry about telling me about bugs because I've tested the engine to death, so I know most of them. These include:
    • Getting stuck between a diagonal spring and a wall.
    • That diagonal spring that launches Sonic only vertically.
    • The fact that you can get to the other side of the loop by just jumping.
    • The camera going nuts when gravity is reversed (I just rewrote the camera code, so this was prone to happen).
    • Other random path issues (I was lazy, most of these problems can be fixed with proper design).

tl;dr
    Test it and report perfomance please.

How do I play?

Code (Text):
    1. Arrows - Move Sonic around.
    2. A/S/D - Action buttons.
    3. 1/2 - Show/Hide debug console. Just shows some random stats.
    Windows | Web-Player

2. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    60FPS on my rig. Though I do have to mention that it's rather difficult to get Sonic to go through some loops without spindashing...

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    59FPS on my machine. (assuming the off-by-one is Unity's fault)
    Specs: Mac Pro 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeon, ATI Radeon 5770. Tested the browser version in Safari under the latest version of OS X.

4. 60fps on "Fantastic" full-screen:

Code (Text):
    2. System  
    3. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5.   Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    6.   Model X58A-UD3R
    7.   Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
    8.   System type 64-bit operating system
    9.   Number of processor cores 4
    11. Graphics  
    12. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    14.   Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    15.   Total available graphics memory 3839 MB
    16.         Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
    17.         Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    18.         Shared system memory 2815 MB
    19.   Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.8562
    20.   Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
    21.   DirectX version DirectX 10

5. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Looks great from the last time I looked at it. Animations flow nicely, and I get full fps. Sonic just feels heavy to accelerate other than that its good. That might just be me though thinking its like that.

My Specs,

Intel i7 Processor 3.75ghz
    ATi Radeon HD 6990
    8GB Ram

Ran at 1920x1080 and had full FPS didn't experience any drops. I don't expect to with my specs anyways.

6. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    30-32 FPS for the Web Player build on my 5 year old netbook.

It jumps up to 50-52 fps when switching to full screen for like... 2 seconds but than goes back down.

I will try the Windows build now.

Edit: 600x400 screen resolution, Beautiful graphics and I get an average of 58.1 FPS :D Which is impressive, as most games refuse to go fast at times.

On full screen with the graphics as beautiful, it seems to go down to 30-40 FPS on the bottom and top path for the majority of the level. But it's playable, a bit choppy, but playable.

Oh yeah, and if it matters, I have about 3 GB of Hardrive Space left.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Ran fantastic on Fantastic! 1920x1080 was the highest I could go. I could even record it without the frame rate dropping from 60.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8j9FqiBIZU

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
    Radeon HD 6870

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Is there a reason my gamepad's analog stick is automatically bound to player 2 and cannot be bound to player 1?

Edit: And incidentally, locked at 60fps no matter how high I crank it.

Intel Core 2 Duo (E7600 @ 3.06ghz)
    2047mb of DDR-2 SDRAM (639mhz)
    ATi Radeon HD 5670 (1gb)

9. winterhell

winterhell

60FPS on 1920*1200 /Fantastic with GeForce 9600GT(the other parts are from 2011 -> irrelevant)

You might want to implement pause and escape(they were absent in SFR too).

Are those stencil shadows ?

10. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    60fps with the Windows build on "fantastic" at 1920x1080

-Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    -ASRock 890GX Extreme 3 mobo
    -AMD Phenom II x4 at 3.6GHz
    -8Gb Wintec DDR3-1600 RAM
    -NVIDIA GTX 280 1Gb
    -Creative X-Fi Platinum
    -Intel SATAII solid state drive

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    All I would suggest is speeding up the camera as it rotates into the screen. Otherwise it's lovely.

12. synchronizer

synchronizer

What plugin is required to use the web-player version? I remember that this actually worked on macs at some point; I tested an earlier build.

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Finally you posted the engine up on the forums, was wondering when this would happen !

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Score another 60 FPS here for the web player build(same as when I tried it before), and the fullscreen one at 1600x900 on Fantastic.

AMD Athlon x2 BE 3.0 ghz (OCed from 2.7, sometimes a bit unstable)
    AMD Radeon HD 6870
    RAM 2GB DDR2 800 mhz
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I think the crouch animation could be a bit faster. I don't know if there's some delay from standing to trying to spindash. Other than that, it's great. (And I see you corrected all those buggy normals from the previous time I tried it ;p)

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Runs fairly well on my laptop's low power built in graphics card but I do get weird shadows with settings above simple. Also the physics are okish, they're stiff when changing direction while you're in motion and the momentum when running seems to fall short dealing with slopes. Overall they don't feel like Sonic physic's but they are far better than anything the Sonic Team has produced in recent times. At least when hitting enemies the rebound feels kinda correct.

16. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    60FPS both in browser and in web player.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.40ghz
    6GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4850

17. Miles3298

Miles3298

Windows version, wouldn't go near 60fps if the settings were past 640x480 or "Fast". That or less, though, it worked great.

Then again, this is an old laptop. Graphics chip is ATI Radeon X1250, ultra low-end.

18. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Runs at full 60FPS under "fantastic" on my Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz, ATI Radeon HD 5700. Sonic definitely feels like he gathers a little too much momentum.

19. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    60fps in my Phenom II x6 1055T OC'ed to 3.3ghz, Radeon HD5750 1GB GDDR5 too.

I love those badnik models :3 I remember the old demo I saw about this engine and man, this blew up my mind compared to that old one. Really epic job!

20. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I think Sonic isn't heavy, but there's actually some input lag. It's about 2-3 frames. Playing with keyboard btw. It's definitely not related to the screen, as I have played several games with no input lag before.

The problem doesn't seem that noticeable on Windowed mode though. Perhaps it's a vsync/buffering problem?