don't click here

Eddie Lebron's Fan Film, "Sonic"

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheInvisibleSun, Sep 27, 2011.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    6PM EST? As far as I know EST is 5 hours behind GMT so I guess that means this is going up at 11PM for me. I am tempted and curious to watch this but something tells me it's going to be "challenging" to get through the whole thing. I'm only vaguely interested in this because well, it's Sonic and also because we don't usually see high concept (though admittedly extremely low budget) attempts at Sonic fan films like this. It's hard in this industry to develop and create something if you're using someone else's intellectual property. Remember Kuta and his Sonic fan film? That was animated (theoretically lower budget) and even he couldn't get his off the ground. It took him over five years and he even had meetings with industry execs and even then he failed. So kudos to these guys for turning their dream into a reality. I'm just worried the reality might actually be an impossible to watch sub-standard car crash. Though we shall see. I'll reserve final judgement until there's actually something finished and complete out there.

Who here believes he'll make the new release time? I have my doubts. Personally.

2. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Here it is, guys:

I'm gonna watch it now, I'll post my opinions once I'm done...

3. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    How on earth did he secure those cameos?!

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This made me facepalm...

5. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Animation in it was atrocious, really. Made the cut scenes in Sonic '06 look good in comparison. The Gamma robots and buzz bombers looked decent enough, but Sonic? UUuuuaaaaaaghhhhh.
    I know it's a budget self funded movie, but there is just no excuse for animation that cruddy when so many can do better on a budget of zero. All the movements were just so slow, looked like Sonic was running at half speed.

6. minichapman

minichapman

United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Just finished watching. Posted half way through because I was amazed at cameos from James Rolfe (AVGN), Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic), Brent Black (Brentalfloss) and Stuttering Craig from Screw Attack. It turns out, sadly, that was one of the only things I enjoyed. the film just seemed.... Awkward.

That's without me going in to detail which I'm sure every point will be brought up.

DOUBLE EDIT: Knuckles fingers?!

7. dsrb

dsrb

>mfw
    [​IMG]

8. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    Yeah, the cameos made me go "wtf!?" as well :v:

All 'n all, for a fanfilm, I have little complaints, but I mine as well get those out of the way now.
    First off, guess I'll spoiler tag them now that I think of it...

It kinda sucks that this whole "movie" was a basic plot set-up, that means if a sequel doesnt occur, then were left in the dust. The CGI is alright for fan standards so no complaints there, but goddamn does it need to move faster. That ending scene with Sonic running through the Green Hill Zone was almost laughable with how slow it was.

For the good: Robotnik wasnt bad, a tad hokey with the outfit and when he shows "emotion", but not bad. I enjoyed Jaleel White making his return, does he sound like back during the AoStH/SatAM days? No. Is that entirely a bad thing however? Again, no. I never saw the AoSth/SatAM/Underground voice working with the modern design, so having just enough of a difference helps.

Also, got a great chuckle at how the credits just flat out ended, guess theres still some kinks to work out with the video itself.

So, in short, I'd certainly re-watch it and support a series of sequels, but it isnt the end all be all Sonic movie I'd like it to be.

9. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    I just finished this and yeah...agreed with minichapman on everything he said. I was deeply dissapointed by this...I thought it was gonna be more like...
    action based, maybe?
    And I keep thinking that Robotnik kinda looks weird. At least he sounds similar to his SatAM self. The only thing I kinda liked was Jaleel's voice acting on this. The rest was just...meh

EDIT: now that I reread my comment I'm sounding like an arse again. *deep breath* Ok, I admit the film was somehow enjoyable and I laughed quite a bit. I take back with what I said about Robotnik, I guess I'm just used to see him in videogames. But yeah, he was a good actor non the less. Still, the movie felt "meh" for me because I expected it more from it, and longer. And I liked the ending sequence. Only nitpick that others mentioned is that Sonic should have been faster. Other than that...it's ok I guess. Not terribly good but not terribly bad either.

10. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well. That was something. I'm trying to work out whether I liked it or not. Just watched the entire film. I went in there with lower than low expectations so the fact that it was somewhat decent surprised me. I had a smile on my face through all of that. There's something about Sonic going super serious with an orchestral soundtrack that just makes me smile. I thought was it was decent. Surprisingly so. Nothing exceptionally good but certainly not the car crash I was expecting. Positives. The CGI considering their budget was acceptable. Decent. The actor playing Robotnik was great. For a production like this he was really good. They cast him perfectly. The introduction and all of those opening scenes were good as was the:

completely CGI Green Hill runthrough at the end.

I was kind of shocked when I saw that. The film is 90% live action so though that part was good I'm not really sure it meshes with the style of the rest of the film. I think this film is great for this guy's portfolio. Even though the budget is evidently low; the acting outside of Robotnik low grade; and it's videogame fan-related subject matter this film shows this guy is a more than competent director. Overall I think he did a good job. Honestly this could have been a car crash. Live action/CGI Sonic fan film hybrid? To say that's a challenge to create is an understatement. I think given the resources and budget that this guy had he really did well with this. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it for what it was. Negatives. The negatives are that the film is far too short. When I saw that it was 18 minutes I thought that this guy would have gone for a short film; as in a self-contained story with a beginning, middle and end. This is film development basics.

Instead of developing that he gave us what felt like an opening to a much longer feature film complete with much lengthier running time. Disappointing. Was this his intention? Was the objective for Sega to see this and greenlight a complete feature film? The reason I ask is because what we have here is the setup of a feature film. Not a short film. Not a self-contained story. The start of one. Think about it. Very little plot actually happened in this. There was the setup. A couple of action scenes. Then when the story starts to glow with heat it ends. As a screenwriter I would written something more self-contained. There was no ending here. At all. Not even a middle. Just a load of build-up to nothing. Because it ends. The conclusion here is that this is a respectable effort. An effort that is far too short. One more thing. Not loving that Sonic voice. Sonic sounded like a child. Not a teenager. I know who the voice actor is but I preferred how Sonic sounded in Sonic Adventure 1/2.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

11. woun

woun

Change your world Member
    CGI is a bad, srsly. But film fine.
    I liked Eggman and very serious atmosphere.
    Good job Eddie!

12. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Real talk: I thought the CG in this movie was worse than Birdemic: Shock & Terror, I'm not kidding.

Other than that, Eddie did a hell of a good job here, and seeing some of the cameos were clever too! Nevermind, I take that part back. Ugh... This was just painful to watch the second time through. I enjoyed the MegaMan Fan Film, but this was just fucking AWFUL.
    Basically...

13. minichapman

minichapman

United Kingdom
    Staying sane.

14. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Credits list Egoraptor as one of the robot voices... why would you do that? He has an awesome voice and you waste it on a shitty generic robot, monotone and filter and all.

15. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    WHY DOES KNUCKLES HAVE FINGERS

16. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I think the best thing we got out of this was Sturgeon Face Robotnik.

17. Dashtube

Dashtube

'Cause I find memes funny Member
    Sonic Exodus
    Not how I envision sonic in the big screen.. But it's enjoyable as far as experimental low-budget films go.

Though one of my bigger complaints is the odd lack of sound effects in 1/3 of the scenes.

18. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    The Sonic model wasn't great, it didn't blend well with the real environments and it slightly gave me the creeps - it's that mouth I think o.o

It didn't look quite as jarring in the CG Green Hill at the end, but still.

All in all though, wonky CGI and slightly dodgy acting from some people aside, I actually quite enjoyed this - which is something I didn't expect! The story was decent, I didn't feel like it got boring or anything, although the film could have done with being a bit longer to expand the story a bit more. The guy who was Robotnik played the part very well and it was nice to hear Jaleel White as Sonic again (if only for nostalgic reasons ;P). The cameos, along with the aforementioned CG section at the end, made me smile :)

Fair play to Eddie for attempting something like this and for making it enjoyable. No, it's not completely amazing, but it's not a complete disaster either.

19. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
  20. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Jaleel Whites' voice doesn't seem to fit Sonic IMO. I cringed through the parts he spoke.

I liked how they set up the scene though. Nothing really happened during the 'movie' though, that was disappointing.

Some of the CGI is just downright terrible though. Everything was slow, and whenever Sonic talked, he was always jittering.