don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think you're all taking the wrong approach

High Definition pictures are only really broadcast through digital television. Digital doesn't have that "white noise", it has it's own type of distortions (it also tends to be widescreen too but that might ruin the sprite a bit too much). Have bits not lined up properly or in the wrong colours or something - that might be a better option (as long as you don't go overboard)

I mean fair enough if these are supposed to be monitors from 1992 then go with B with a bit of C but I think it would be nice if the TVs were truely updated.

2. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    I really like your B Growler.

I don't think there would be a monitor animation I want in the game more than that. The major distortion has a nice frequency as to not be too distracting and the scan lines have a similar level of distraction as the original flashing does.

I also made a mockup early today. I was trying to recreate the B Vincent posted to see how close I could get in order to attempt the same animation on other monitors. Here's what I came up with;
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    Yeah they are meant to be from '92 (:

I seem to remember somebody posting updated modern monitors earlier in the thread but I can't find it so maybe I just imagined it

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I do agree with Ex. Nice concept! ^^

The only problem I feel on it, is the absence of one single stable and focused frame in your animation.

Like the old CRT TV's fine tuning, there is one moment where the signal gets on, then it starts to progressively get distorted waving off into the common b&w screen.
    Agreed on the scanlined icon effect, let us elaborate more the general idea of this concept:

Keeping Exodus's sharp scanlined image as example of the still icon quality, the image distortion might take place like this:

-Clear scanlined icon (1-2 secs)
    -Trembling, Distorted image and B&W. (a la Kega Fusion screen)
    (repeats)

(In case adding B&W is ultimately looking too distracting, we can remove it, keeping your key animation.)

There is no need to hold off the other icons, so feel free to use them to make better tests with pngs! ;)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (P.s. They need scanlines!)

4. Without a doubt "B" is the best.

"A" isn't interesting. "C" is just too much, seems like if your running by you might not even see what it was.

"B" also seems the most realistic, I enjoy how they colors seperate like an actual cathode tube does.

5. zemulii

zemulii

B probably. A is quite clean. I like it, but the bar is just too fast. It's kind of distracting. I think with a little refinement either A or B could be a good choice. There's far too much going on in C... although it might be interesting to see what it would look like if it were toned down a bit.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    How about first changing stuff based on the feedback and then choosing the best looking one?

By the way, the life icons look quite pretty, but there's something odd about that Robotnik.

7. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    My guess is that his stache isn't as wide as it usually is.

8. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member

Do you mean like this?

[​IMG]

I purposely kept the shield as it is, so it would look 'animated', if you know what I mean

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    You have got the suttle flicker just right but it my eyes it needs to be tried with the white screen noise like the original. This digital flicker to me doesn't feel right even though I do think it looks very good.

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Yes Growler,

Anyways, I do agree with steveswede about the animation missing one noise-free main frame on it.

11. Endgame

Endgame

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here [sorry ^^; - I have Asperger's Syndrome, so please bear with me]. I presume the the shield 'animation' is what steveswede means by the 'digital flicker'? that can be taken care of :)

*EDIT* Ah, I think I know what you mean now - I'll see what I can do

Although I'm still I'm not really sure what Vincent means by "missing one noise-free main frame" - is that to say you want the shield static as a whole? But then steveswede is suggesting to try and add some white noise to the picture.

Thirdly, would you like the actual white noise to be animated, instead of the flickering shield?

This is what I've got so far; next, I could try to animate the white noise - if that's what you want.

[​IMG]

12. Endgame

Endgame

btw, I Just added a little more animation to the main flicker before I carry on - see if that improves it a bit:

I can get rid of it if you don't like it, and sorry if I'm hogging the posts here ^^;

1) [​IMG]

*EDIT*

update - with moving shield [again] and moving white noise:
    2) [​IMG]

13. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
  14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, what Vincent is saying. You ideally want a solid frame of white noise in there to be true to the original.

15. Shanesan

Shanesan

And I do not. I believe this is where the notion of "HD" comes in. Sonic 2 didn't have the speckle effect because, well, that was a space saver there. Get rid of it and have more frames for other things. We don't have that problem here. That helps makes it look HD. Thats what makes it look good. Some things should change -- some things should get better because we now have better technology to make it possible. Now, it shouldn't be AS white noise as it is presented here, but thats what we're here for.

Sort of why I'm wondering why there isn't a good HD graphics accelerated reflection/sparkle effect on Emerald Hill Zone on the ocean yet.

16. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Memory use, you don't even imagine how efects like that would double the memory use...

However, I know it will look freaking nice (You would love the latest wips haha)

17. Does LOst have any ideas on the memory footprint of S2HD yet? I imagine that at least a 1 GB minimum would be appropriate. If you had any less you wouldn't be able to play current and next-gen games anyway.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    People have already proven that you can make great looking HD stuff without eliminating its source.

Improving the looks of something shouldn't mean getting rid of the original stuff. Else we could start making a blue Emerald Hill if the majority feels it "looks better".

I personally feel it could look quite nice by briefly distorting the image, then using a white noise frame, then back to the original pic.

19. Endgame

Endgame

OK, I'm still in the process of adding more white noise frames from the animation you gave me.

This is where I'm up to already, but what I'm wanting to know is how long you want the 'interruption/white noise' frames to be on for? (it's being done in centiseconds - currently 7 centiseconds for 4 frames of white noise/'interruption'). I can add more of the frames, increase or decrease the speed each frame appears, or whatever combination is necessary.

That is, if this is how you want it like? If not, please tell me :)

[​IMG]

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I think the deformations should be random anyway. A real television isn't likely to have the same kind of noise over and over again. You should create a set of 10-12 kinds of different distortions and apply them randomly.
    e.g. good image -> B&W -> scanlines -> white noise -> good image -> scroll -> do a barrel roll -> good image
    etc

edit (since The Growler posted at the same time as me): nice work. I like it.