don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    I agree with Vincent on the black and white static, but I prefer the slight flicker on the monitor before the screen gets interrupted to the static image. It makes the screen seem more believable.

If anything, the monitors are possibly the only thing HD in this project. I'll add more to this on the General Feedback thread.

2. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Hmmm, at the moment I'm not sure how to increase the speed of the flickering shield without it looking like it's animation is zooming in fast-forward.

I don't think my gif animator is designed to handle the amount of frames that I'm seriously bombarding it with, lol. :)

At the moment - to speed up the flicker - I have 76 of my flickering shield frames, all going at 3 centiseconds [centisecond = 100th of a second, I presume] each frame (and then there's the 'disturbance' and white noise frames at a different speed too)!

So when I make a change to one of the frames, the program stops responding for about 25 seconds before I can continue!

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Ok, don't worry about it. :)

The animation frames we require are the very same, so before moving it into "Approved" Art,
    Please post the same animation but with one character icon head to see how it looks.

Thanks again for your work! ^^

4. Endgame

Endgame

Unfortunately [as I said at the start of doing this], I had actually borrowed 2 of the frames from the monitor you did - this one:
    [​IMG]
    which is what gave me the inspiration to play around with them and see what I could come up with ^^

So in reality, the credit goes to you for the artwork of the shield/scanlines and its effect, and I just controlled the animation side of it.

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Jump frames, skip one between and there you will have more speed. People will not notice that little thing, since its too fast ^^U

6. Endgame

Endgame

Agreed, but however it would also shorten the animation as a whole, making the interruption effect a lot more frequent, and can get a little distracting - although thanks for the idea; I'll see if anyone else has anything to add to that :)

7. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Unless you play the animation twice between each flicker.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well... Not any more than the original.

9. Endgame

Endgame

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.

I thought it might help a little to show you guys the program that I'm working with to do these animations, so you will see how I change the delay times between the animations.
    Of course, I'll remove it if there's some unwritten rule about not showing people the program you work with ;)
    [​IMG]

Anyway, here's the 'quicker' version of the monitor. IMHO I'd say the time is much too short between the distortions
    [​IMG]

Just give the word, and I'll lengthen the time the distortion effect occurs - but I suppose I would need to know how much longer/faster/slower to do any of the effects:

Just to remind Vincent that I'd appreciate if he did the scanlines and 2 frames for the other monitors - then I can do the rest

*edit*
    Here's a longer version of it, just in case :)
    [​IMG]

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    As soon as I'll be back home, I'll produce them accordingly! ^^

On the monitor completion tough, we still need the <a href="http://sanik.hacking-cult.org/inker/data/1235252402Monitor_Orig_+_HD.png" target="_blank">invincibility and Ring monitor icons</a> to be remastered! Anyone is free to take your own attempt.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Just wondering which one you picked/prefer out of those 2 I posted (if any)? ^^

Thanks Vincent, and no worries :)

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

I think the time between distortions should be halfway in between.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I like the first one better, even though I'd halve the time between distortions... and I still think the animation drags for too long.

14. Endgame

Endgame

I'm not sure how "in-between" this is, but here's the latest one - along with a quicker distortion effect, as per request :)

A) [​IMG]
    *edit* B was almost as quick as the other one, so never mind

Lol, it's like getting your eyes tested at the opticians :P

15. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    What happened to the flicker? It's so numbed down, you might as well take a still frame.

16. Endgame

Endgame

Other people asked for the flicker to be sped up a bit, that's why ^^

Now I know what it feels like to be caught in the middle of different people asking for different things for the same item :psyduck:

*edit*
    I thought I'd give it a try, and slow the flicker a tiny bit, and it looks quite good IMO - doesn't seem too fast, nor too slow:
    [​IMG]

But of course, I'm always open to correction :)

17. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    And that's why America's voting system is broke.
    [/political bullshit]

A poll could be needed for this, really. The TVs are at least as important as the ring debate.

18. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Actually, seeing all these monitors with different distortion frequencies makes me think that monitors in groups should have different freqs as well. So if you have 2 or 3 monitors next to each other, they won't look like they're trying out for the synchronized malfunction team. :v:

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm not sure I explained myself too clearly in previous posts, so I'll try again.

I think the flicker should happen as fast as possible, since it's supposed to make a "glowing light" effect.

However, the distortions that happen once each X frames could feature less frames. They look cool and all, but I feel there's a bit too many frames in there.

Also, I feel the whole animation (the time between each distortion) is a bit too long. One keeps staring at it for a bit too much, to see those cool distortions happen. After all, they weren't "distracting" when they happened in quick succession in the original.

Just my personal oppinion.

20. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

S2HD Staff - Badnik Artist Member
    That last monitor is my favorite so far, personally.
    Though RedStripedShoes' monitors-at-different-frequencies ideas is interesting.