don't click here

Classic vs. Modern Design

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Phos, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    You'd be surprised how something so simple is actually very complicated to make.

I have to agree with the article, that old statue is hideous. :psyduck:

Or if Needlemouse uses his classic design, and becomes disturbingly sucsessful. :v:

2. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

3. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
  4. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    To be fair, Mario was never trying to be the "Blue dude with the 'tude", he was just trying to be some fat dude that has to save the princess from the castle. Don't really need to change that kinda character to appeal to a newer generation...

Anyways, outside of the mouth, I don't tend to mind Sonic's modern model... I don't even mind 06's model from what I have seen (That might change if/when I play the game ) Maybe I just don't look close enough to really notice anything wrong in the models, outside of the mouth. I noticed that no one has mentioned Black Knight's model... Why's that?

Anyways, all that said, I do prefer Sonic's older model, but that's simply because I grew up with it. I guarantee that in a few years, Sonic's current model will be considered timeless, just like his old model.

5. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Because that's just the Unleashed model with a gauntlet and a sword.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    It won't because they keep changing it.

7. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

There's a lot of old designs. Some really bad. It amuses me that SOA kept that atrocious thing in their lobby for so long.

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Off with the old, people. I loved to read the old Fleetway comics (screw the OVA, Fleetway is the one with the best Sonic personality) as much as you, but move on. Unleashed's model is perfect. Pointier shoes? Would look like the Sonic Adventure model. And why remove the gren eyes? He always had a pupil and an iris, simply it's green now, Mario had it in blue and no one ocmplains.

9. Graxer

Graxer

I like the way they explained the green eyes in the Fleetway Comics. If I remember correctly it was something to do with Chaos attacking him.

10. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Basically, residue Chaos energy left in Sonic after being attacked by Chaos. Of course, it doesn't explain why everyone else also gained irisis, but at least (Porker excluded) they gave them brown irises, which is closer to the old look.

11. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    I was under the impression that Black Knight used a different model for some reason... huh... Shows you how much I know about the subject XD

12. Vrantheo

Vrantheo

"Find Next Beat" Member
    It usually came to my mind that it might look "better" if Sonic's arms were blue as well as his legs...

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The Wii version of Unleashed kind of sold well, but the other versions were flops by Sonic standards. Black Knight was a flop by most any standards. I don't recall what Sonic Chronicles did, but I don't think it did very well.

It's actually the Secret Rings model, but yeah.

14. Beebles

Beebles

Now with OFFICIAL terrible Knuckles artwork. Member
    Check my blog for details.
    True, however, I only brought up the subject to point out that character design evolution is a common thing. Its not like other video game characters never change how they look, its just that SEGA has yet to come up with a perfect way to represent Sonic in 3D.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's also worth noting that even Classic Sonic had design changes over the years.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Sonic in Sonic 3, while the same idea, has a good number of difference between its 1991 counterpart but it's still considered classic Sonic.

Modern Sonic has also undergone a bit of an evolution over the years:

[​IMG][​IMG]

SA1 Sonic had much stranger proportions, perhaps in a way to make him "edgy", also lets not forget that nike smile. Sonic Rush Sonic is more pleasing to the eye and more proportional. and gets rid of that damn nike smile (Sometimes it still pops up here and there but it's not as common as it was in the SA art). There is also a lot less curvature (SA artwork seemed to demand curves almost wherever. Examples of unnecessary curvature are the nose, the smile, and the ears)

EDIT: I just noticed that SA art still tries to hold true to classic art in some aspects. The shoes are not as big as they are now, Sonic's stomach is still relatively chubby, and the socks are much more rigid like they were in the classic art rather than kind of loose as they are now

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yeah, I was about to say. SA1 Sonic looks wayyyy much more accurate to Sonic's classic design than most art of modern Sonic. I'd say the Unleashed model = 3D interpretation of that picture of SA1 Sonic you shown, except maybe a little less curvy, which is definitely a good thing.

Really my only absolute problem with SA1 Sonic is the Nike smile; it's just gut-wretchingly ugly. The eyes sort of bother me too, but I could handle them okay if I didn't have to also tolerate that dreadful Nike smile.

17. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Oh hai

Does anyone have SANiK's ripper? I think I found the file with Sonic's model.

18. Machenstein

Machenstein

The green eyes wouldn't bother me so much if the irises themselves weren't so huge. They really obscure the pupils, making Sonic look like he's on acid. There is also too much of an emphasis on Sonic's brow; that line between his eyes. It looks like some sort of tumor. Uekawa must have adapted it from the American artwork.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  20. JoyJoyfulTheRabbit

JoyJoyfulTheRabbit

Beginner
    Singapore
    Comic
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.