don't click here

Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    It'd be the right one, it's the most similar (same country?) to the Sonic's art direction.

fugly knux is fu-uugly.

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    LOL I have a feeling that this isn't going to go down well in the future knowing how our opinions get expressed in here.

And my answer is that I think the one on the right, the red one is fugly. His shape of his mouth and eyes just look like crap, plus there are features on the pink one that I feel enhance Knuckles, like the straps around his gloves.

3. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, that shit-eating grin really brings him to life.

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The one on the right is more than likely the direction we'll be using.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Thank you so much. That pink Knuckles looks like a mad, naked Amy Rose.

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Japanese Official Artwork is the only source we consider for design.

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Glad to hear it, as those certainly seemed to be the main influences on the art seen so far.

Also, you guys forgot the best Knuckles:
    [​IMG]

...Yeah. Be glad we're not getting any of that, right there. ; )

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    ...The fuck? What was that even used on?

9. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    The one on the right is the one I'm used to, and I think it looks WAY the hell better than the one on the left. The one no the right (the BETTEr one!) looks more like the model in the game.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Haha, it's from issue 6 of a UK games publication, SEGA XS. They mapped out all the levels for Sonic 3 - including the Knuckles routes - and featured them all in a giant tips article. Drew their own Knuckles art to accompany the maps - the only other art they seemed to have access to was the pictures of Sonic, Tails and Robotnik from the US cover for the game, so presumably they wanted a Knuckles to go with them. They also drew their own Sonic for the cover of the issue, though thankfully it wasn't quite so massively wrong and deformed as the Knuckles shown here.

But yeah, with the arguing going on as to which Knuckles was better, I couldn't resist posting it. XD Personally, I can't wait to see what the team does with Knuckles when they get around to him - hopefully they'll remember to correct his stance to have his feet parallel, like Sonic and Tails, rather than in the S3&K style. That inconsistency always bugs me - same as the fact that Tails' feet weren't corrected to match the new Sonic and Knuckles sprites when SEGA made S3&K.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While the art is horrendous, it's actually not bad when you think of what they had to base it off of, likely Knuckles sprites from the cutscenes where his shoes were the wrong colors and Assface Sonic art. I mean I never understood why that little emblem on his chest looked tan in the first place

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    *Relief* phew *pant pant*... thank god.

Cant wait to see some new characters (assuming some work on Tails has actually started).

EDIT:

Did you add any 'turn around' frames? I guess they'd only be used for high speed turning (skid).

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sonic 2 already has a turn around frame after skidding. I believe it only shows up properly when trying to change directions while going at really high speeds...

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Right. Just playing the tech demo (I like it), and I remembered something I'd like to bring attention to. Have you used the *half-way look up/down* frames when you release the up/down button, Sonic 2 did not do this, so they made it nicer to go to look down/up, but like Sonic 1 when you return to normal. It's one of the things that annoyed me about Sonic games, for some reason.

EDIT: Also, why does the shine on Sonic's rolling animation still switch to Sonic's direction? I would have thought that you'd have made it an overlay.

15. zemulii

zemulii

Hmm... so I've asked quite a few times now, and no response whatsoever. Are we going to get some sort of guide or tutorial on how to achieve the new art style? A yes, a no, a maybe?

16. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I know I'm very late to the party here. I haven't been following this project since the whole Hill Top tree fiasco. But wow! I really love what you've done with the Sonic sprite.

For the sake of argument, say you were making a Sonic 3HD sprite, I'd assume that you'd take the same approach by making him based on official artwork as well, right? Basically, would you take the existing sprite you have now and simply rearrange it to match the Sonic 3 poses? To be frank, recreating Sonic 3s sprite in HD would be a big, bloated, fuck-ugly mess.

Oh and that title screen is friggin beautiful! So beautiful in fact I had to make it my desktop background. I don't care if it doesn't match Sonic 2s, imo it looks much better!

17. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Glad we could bring you back around! In the case of Sonic 3, we would do exactly what you said and use our current sprite, adding any new poses and tweaking current ones if need be. You're also right that recreating the Sonic sprite would be a mess, but we are past simply up-converting the original sprites anyhow. That's just getting ahead of ourselves though, haha. Who knows, there might even be some animations never before seen in the games before in S2HD ;)

18. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah pal, who knows? ;)

Oh and btw guys, expect something related to the animation part to appear within a few hours.

19. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Great! There goes a good night sleep.

Thanks for the response guys!

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    <iframe name="Animation Changelog" src="http://s2hd.sonicretro.org/cl/Visual-Changelog---Animation.html" width="1200" height="1001" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.