don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    I have went ahead like all of you have suggested I started using SonED2 (mainly because I can't find any support on ESE2). Yeah it's faster and can be a little better in some aspects (I still like ESE2).

But anyway, so I have looked all over I can't find how to reassemble so I can test play my game. I must be missing it but I can't find it. Do I have to use a separate program to reassemble or can SonED2 do it?

Also no matter what I try, SonikSprite won't load colors. It was but it's not now. I have tried redownloading the program and using a clean rom and still no dice.

2. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    Depends on your target game. You'll need special project files depending on your disassembly, and you'll also want your build tools in the root of your hack directory.

That's why ESE2 loses to SonED2, you can't use it with a disassembly.

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Use Build.bat

And you cant use SonikSprite with a disassem. Use Tile Layer Pro, though its alot harder to use....

4. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    SonMapED

5. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    SonMapED doesnt let you DRAW art as far as I'm aware....

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Which is why I made my own tool to make tiles out of a BMP :P (although it's hackish to hell - and by that I mean that I need to rebuild it just for changing the input and output filenames, for example).

EDIT: and TLP only lets you edit existing tiles, not make new ones.

7. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    You just hex extra tiles in. :P

8. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    Since I'm having to use SonED2 now, My plan was to edit the levels and tiles and such, then afterward use SonikSprite to put my sprites in. I'm not using SonikSprite WITH it, I was going to after it. Or when I figure out what I want, reassemble put my sprites in, then disassemble and finish editing levels.

I am using Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I have it disassembled already and am editing it. I just need to know how to put it back together.

Edit: Ok, I have looked everywhere. I can not find build.bat anywhere. Can someone post it please. And as I understand, When I do get the build.bat, I put it in my soned2/s2 folder and run it and it should assemble back into the .bin right?

9. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    I recommend you read the following:

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Set...lit_disassembly

Merely replace all instances of Sonic 1 in that guide with Sonic 2, Not much difference between a S1 disASM and a S2 disASM as far as I know, and if there is then I'm sure someone will point it out for me.

10. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    Thanks. I went there before but it all said split and sonic 1. I just didn't get Hivebrain's Sonic 1 Disassembly. I see build.bat in it. I will test it now and hopefully it will work. Thanks again.

Edit... OKAY! Sorry to be a giant dumb dumb...

The read me says that you put the sonic rom into the folder with split.bat to split it. Then run build.bat to put it back together. I put build.bat into the soned2\s2 folder with what I am working on right now and clicked it, nothing happened.

11. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    You'd need to download the sonic 2 disassembly actually, since you're working with Sonic 2 as opposed to Sonic 1.

12. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    I took the Sonic 2 rom and split it in my new folder with the sonic 2 dissassembly, opened it into SonED2 and moved the rings in the beginning and saved the project. I rebuilt it and tested it and my rings were where I put them. YAY! I did it.

Now why can't I take EHZ1 from the new project and replace it with the EHZ1 file I was editing in my SonED2 folder. I tried and the level came up black.

Should I just start over?

EDIT: NM I guess it's because they were split with different disassembles. That's why they are not compatible.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Open the .sep files (old and new) in a text editor and make sure you replaced all the files in the various subfolders, and, if some of them changed name, make sure to rename them accordingly.

edit: "different" disassemblies, if they're both of Sonic 2, are compatible. As I said, most likely there is just some changed name. Nothing too hard to be fixed.

14. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    I am already nearly done rebuilding EHZ1 from what I had. SonED2 if very fast when tileing levels. It's just not good with object placement. I think I am going to have to build all my levels first, then use ESE2 to place my objects properly, then use SonikSprite (lest I find something better) to port my sprites. It will be a long proses, but I will prevail. I am just even more lost when I try looking at hex editing. So I guess I have to tack the long road ^_^

Thanks for the help guys.

15. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    ESE2 and SonikSprite cannot edit Disasm hacks...

16. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    This is a music related question, regarding the E4 coordination flag.

In Sonic 1, I am trying to use multiple 1up songs. By nature, I make the song in xm4smps, and set it to no loop, and 1up song, and the song works (I.e. fade back into the previous song) when set to slot 88. When I move it, to say, E5, it just stops. I *believe* it has something to with this area, allough I have no idea how to take this on.

Code (ASM):
    2. ; ===========================================================================
    3. ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4. ; Play music track $81-$9F
    5. ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7. Sound_E5toFF:
    8.         jsr sub_725CA(pc)
    9.         movea.l (off_719A0).l,a4
    10.         subi.b  #$E5,d7
    11.         move.b  (a4,d7.w),$29(a6)
    12.         movea.l (Go_MusicIndex_E5toFF).l,a4
    13.                 jmp Music_Continue
    15. Sound_81to9F:               ; XREF: Sound_ChkValue
    16.         cmpi.b  #$88,d7     ; is "extra life" music played?
    17.         bne.s   loc_72024   ; if not, branch
    18.         tst.b   $27(a6)
    19.         bne.w   loc_721B6
    20.         lea $40(a6),a5
    21.         moveq   #9,d0
    22. ...

17. Mikel

Mikel

Well, I have a question related to Pattern Load Cues:

I want to make Bean load his own Pattern Load Cues, his Pattern Load Cues won't load until you lose a life, and when you start the game with him, his Pattern Load Cues are the same as Sonic's Pattern Load Cues.

How can I make it when Bean loads his own Pattern Load Cues instead of using Sonic's default Pattern Load Cues when you play as him?

Here's the code:

Code (ASM):
    1. LoadPLC:
    2.                 cmpi.w  #$3, (Player_mode).w
    3.                 bne.s   SonicPLC                ; if not, load Sonic's art
    4.                 movem.l    a1-a2,-(sp)
    5.                 lea    (BArtLoadCues).l,a1
    6.                 bra.s   Continue_PLC               ; branch to rest of code
    7. SonicPLC:
    8.                 movem.l    a1-a2,-(sp)
    9.                 lea    (ArtLoadCues).l,a1
    10. Continue_PLC:
    11. ...
    13. LoadPLC2:
    14.                 cmpi.w  #$3, (Player_Mode).w           ; is the multiple character flag set to $3 (Bean)?
    15.                 bne.s   SonicPLC2                ; if not, load Sonic's art
    16.                 movem.l a1-a2,-(sp)
    17.                 lea (BArtLoadCues).l,a1
    18.                 bra.s   Continue_PLC2               ; branch to rest of code
    19. SonicPLC2:
    20.                 movem.l    a1-a2,-(sp)
    21.                 lea    (ArtLoadCues).l,a1
    22. Continue_PLC2:
    23. ...
    25. RunPLC_ROM:
    26.                 cmpi.w  #$3, (Player_Mode).w           ; is the multiple character flag set to $3 (Bean)?
    27.                 bne.s   SonicPLC3
    28.             lea (BArtLoadCues).l,a1
    29.                 bra.s   Continue_PLC3               ; branch to rest of code
    30. SonicPLC3:
    31.                 lea    (ArtLoadCues).l,a1
    32. Continue_PLC3:
    33. ...

18. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    OK, I screwed up SonED2.

I finished EHZ1 and wanted to change the palette. I assembled it and put the rom into Hivepal and changed the palette. I thought since I changed it I needed to split it again. So I clicked split.bat and went to open it and my level reverted to it's original state as in the real game. Obviously I wasn't supposed to split it again. I forget what I did next but at one point the objects opened in the right place but the BG and FG were a mess of colors. I figured then to delete the whole folder and replace everything fresh. I took my back up rom with my level in it that works and tried to split that. Every time I try to open a level it crashes.

I came to write this and at this point I went to check if it was every level that crashes it. Now when I open any level I get the object placement again but a mess of colors.

So yeah, How do I get it to work right now that I have messed it up?

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You only ever need to split a ROM once. In fact, I suggest that you delete split.bat after using it so you don't accidentally click it; if you do, it will re-split s2.bin as it is in the disassembly's folder, which means that it will overwrite any and all progress that you have made up to that point.

As of now, I don't think it's possible to get the work you've made back. The best thing I can suggest now is deleting your entire disassembly, re-downloading it, and starting over.

20. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    EHZ1 reverted to the original EHZ1, not my version of the level.

I erased s2.bin after the prob and renamed s2built.bin to s2.bin to try spliting that to see if that worked. My back up right now it s2buildprev.bin.

okay... so I have to start over again... that's cool :argh:

So how do I go between changing the palette with Hivepal and SonED2?

At least I'm learning right.... :thumbsup: