don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I'm looking to edit the character models in SADX: PC. I have SADXmdl.exe, but when I drag CHRMODELS on top of it, I get an .obj file with nothing in it. I probably need some of the other tools, but the website that hosted them died, so I have no way of getting them. In addition, I have no idea what I should be doing with the hex in CHRMODELS. When I find the offset for ther model I want, how do I export it?

2. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    I have a small problem with this:

Code (Text):
    1.     move.w    #SndID_Ring,d0
    2.     jmp    (PlayMusic).l
    3.     move.w    #$33,d0
    4.     jmp    (PlayMusicS3).l
    When I set the code like that, only the ring sound from s2 will work not s3.

But when I put the code like this:
    Code (Text):
    1.     move.w    #$33,d0
    2.     jmp    (PlayMusicS3).l
    3.     move.w    #SndID_Ring,d0
    4.     jmp    (PlayMusic).l
    Then the ring sound from s3 will work, not s2.

This is for obj2E Super ring monitor.

3. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Then make a check for the driver flag, and based on the flag, branch to the corresponding code? :eng101:

4. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    I hope I understand this but I'll try. Thanks!

5. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Its the same issue I told you about last time you asked....

You didnt put a branch in the code for if its s2 or s3.....

Basicly you made the same mistake.

6. Tamashii

Tamashii

Fulfilled Collector Member
    Pereira, CO
    Sonic Network Crash
    Hello everyone. This is my first post, the first of more to come, not only with questions, but with insight from my own study of the split disassemblies.

Note: This post has been edited. Go straight below the QuoteBox, and see the edition.

<EDIT #=2>Well, I found out some other stuff I left behind. Looking at _incObj/21 HUD.asm, I found out this:
    Code (ASM):
    1. HUD_Main:   ; Routine 0
    2.         addq.b  #2,obRoutine(a0)
    3.         move.w  #$110,obX(a0)
    4.         move.w  #$104,obScreenY(a0)
    5.         move.l  #Map_HUD,obMap(a0)
    6.         move.w  #$6CA,obGfx(a0)
    7.         move.b  #0,obRender(a0)
    8.         move.b  #0,obPriority(a0)
    There, if you look closely, I changed the obX position on the second statement, scrolling it to the left, so I could use the space which was mapped to X positions $80 to $FF. (Well, to be honest I changed the Y position also, because I wanted to take some margin off the HUD).
    So I repositioned everything (at _maps/HUD.asm):
    Code (ASM):
    1. @allyellow: dc.b $A
    2.         dc.b $82, $D, $80, 0, $E0   ; SCOR text
    3.         dc.b $82, $D, $80, $18, 0   ; E text and first 3 digits of score counter
    4.         dc.b $82, $D, $80, $20, $20 ; last part (4 digits) of score counter
    5.         dc.b $4C, $D, $80, $10, $EC ; TIME text
    6.         dc.b $4C, $D, $80, $28, $14 ; time counter
    7.         dc.b $82, $D, $80, 8, $80   ; RING text
    8.         dc.b $82, 1, $80, 0, $A0    ; S text
    9.         dc.b $82, 9, $80, $30, $B0  ; ring counter
    10.         dc.b $80, 5, $81, $A, $6F       ; life icon
    11.         dc.b $80, $D, $81, $E, $7F  ; name and life counter
    Also, I rolled back my changes to the 4 digits ring counter, I found out that if I changed that, some bits in the background layers would start to get garbled (that, and I didn't find a way to stop the units digit to get garbled either). I'll found out another way through, whenever I learn more about this (or you help me findind out how to do it).
    </EDIT>

7. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Thanks for your help! I didn't understand it at first.

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Who is that STMP fellow in your sig? :P

9. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Fixed!

10. MXJ

MXJ

Sonic Universe (Being procrastenated)
  11. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    The original WAV file you're using is 16-bit signed stereo; all WAV files have to be 8-bit mono unsigned in order to work with the driver.

12. MXJ

MXJ

Oh, well now that works fine, but I have 2 more questions,

1. When using Z80 mode, no sound effects play, and when playing pcm, little sound effects play. Fix?

2. Is there any way to break the 4mb limit for rom size?

Both of these are questions for sonic 1

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yes, using mappers, but I doubt the Z80 will be happy with them. There's the 8MB mode which has the side-effect of making the Sega CD impossible to map as well as preventing the start up ROM from running, but no emulator supports that as far as I know.

14. MXJ

MXJ

Ok, now...

1.What are mappers?

2.Where can I get one?

3.How do you use it?

HELP! I'm CONFUSED!!! :psyduck: :psyduck:

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    A mapper is extra hardware that changes what is shown on the addresses. Google for Bank Switching or something, that's one example of a mapper.

16. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Hmm, I'm having problems with this level. I was following FraGags guide on the wiki to add an extra zone to S1, but whenever the zone loads, Sonic is at the beginning of the act, and the camera starts off at the end of the act, therefore killing Sonic, and the loop repeats. I copied MZ so that it would be easier to work with, if you need to know. I don't think there is anything wrong with my coding. Can anyone help me?

17. Mikel

Mikel

[​IMG]

Ok, I don't get why I can't remove the Ripple Effect from EHZ's background, what I'm basically trying to do is edit EHZ's deformation code for it to be similar to Palmtree Panic Good Future's deformation minus the clouds, and when I edit the ripple effects of EHZ's deformation code, I get the result in the pic above (Where the grass below the mountains are).

Can someone tell me what I did wrong, any help can be appreciated.

18. Tamashii

Tamashii

Fulfilled Collector Member
    Pereira, CO
    Sonic Network Crash
    Hello guys,

I have a quick question... I hate to say this, but I feel stuck with my Sonic 1 hack. I have edited a lot of stuff already, the HUD, added some features and things, but I'm a bit stuck with the work on the art and sound departments. I don't seem to understand fully how to convert a XM to SMPS, albeit I tried XM3SMPS and XM4SMPS, and used some of the voices available, I don't seem to capture the soul of the songs I want to insert into the mod.

My question is, which is, in your opinion, the best (PC/Mac) Sonic engine available right now?
    I've been testing E02 however I feel that it is a bit unaccurate at times.
    Thanks for your replies!

19. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Well, for mac, Saxman recently released a version of ProSonic, which would be worth using if you have a mac, but it wouldn't work on PC I don't think.
    I also have a question. I'm trying to get my object to recognize subtypes, but it wont recognize them. I'm trying to get this object to take me to a different zone when I collide with the object, and using subtypes to decide which zone the object points to, but the subtype isn't being recognized, so could anyone help me with finding out a good way of making the object recognize subtypes?

20. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Double Post, but if I just edit, then no one will notice (please don't hurt me)

I was playing around with the S2 Level Select, and was wondering, how would I change which letters are highlighted? I have been looking throughout the code and have come up with nothing, and it is really irritating me! Could anyone help me, by pointing me towards which routine defines which parts are highlighted?

EDIT: Okay, so I figured it out, and now I completely understand how to use it. Nevermind.