don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I'm asking you to create in-game screenshots by using File -> SAVE SCREENSHOT (Not just it drops down the file size, but it also removes the unnecesary stuff around the thing you actually wanna show us).

Anyway, from what I can see here, I would say you forgot to save the Sonic Dynamic Pattern Load Cues (just a guess). Otherwise I could also guess you have there too much empty tiles between the one you want and the default ones. I'd recommed to use the big block of dark blue tiles instead of adding new tiles (those colourful blocks at the bottom of the tile list).

EDIT: Half millennium of posts =D

2. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    ah ok sorry, next time I'll use that, im used to screenshots ^^U

and umh...actually no, I didn't forget to save the Pattern Cues, I saved everything that was listed in the tutorial.
    Well, I'll try to do as you say next time, let's hope I can figure it out.
    Thank you again

EDIT: It worked! now I hope the rest will work again, thanks!

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    It looks like the "art" is not saved, try saving it.

4. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    I need help again (im sorry, I'm being a pest lately :( )

I'm pretty much almost done replacing all the sprites, but the thing is that I ran out of tiles and I'm not sure how to add more. If I add tiles the way the tutorial says, there appears a lot of multicoloured tiles, and if I used those tiles my sprites in game looks messed (like the screencap I posted the other day). Is there any way to add tiles as the same colour as the blue ones of this screenshot?:
    [​IMG]

While using all the blue tiles I didn't have a problem (just like Selbi said) but when adding the multicoloured ones is when I encounter problems and the sprites doesn't save correctly.

Thanks in advance and im sorry again for asking so many questions ;_;

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Wait, I don't really get the problem now... You want to add more tiles, even though you already have this big block of blue tiles? Remember, the multi-coloured tiles are just for optical purposes, you can use any kind of tiles.

I'd also recomend you this: If you want to replace every Sonic sprite with your character, you don't need to add that tiles. You can simply overwrite the existing ones. Doing that will drop down the file size hardly and will keep you away from the problem with the messeed up tiles in-game.

6. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    No, no...I think I explained myself wrong...I ran out of tiles, this is what I have now:

[​IMG]

And because my character is not exactly the same size as Sonic, I can't replace the sprites over Sonic's directly because it doesn't look right, some parts looks cut off and I have to remap every one from scratch (im doing what the tutorial says) to make it match the size
    What I need is more blue tiles because if I use the coloured tiles the sprites looks messed up for some reason :(

7. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    And I think you didn't got me right: Just use Sonic's tiles. It doesn't matter if tiles sprites are getting cut of and stuff, because you need to remap the sprites anyway.
    If you don't want to get too confused by sorting your sprites with Sonic's out: Delete every Sonic sprite, go on Edit -> Tiles -> Select All Unmapped Tiles and then again Edit -> Tiles -> Clear Pixels Out of Selected Tiles.

8. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    oh...ok, I'm sorry :(

9. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I weren't pissed y'know? Trust me, that would've sound a lot different. =P
    There is nothing bad about asking, it's only bad if you seriously ask for each and everything possible without thinking about it (and the fact you feel like asking too much with those few questions shows that you are thinking).

+ - Yeah off-topic, but I had to clear it up. =P  

10. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    well the thing is I'm still new to all of this, I just have a few knowledge that I achieved by reading the tutorials and so on, I still can't figure much stuff myself because I'm scared of messing up and since I wanna make sure of if I'm doing the stuff right, that's why I ask too much. But yeah, I'll take your words Selbi, still I apologize for causing so much trouble, I know that dealing with new people is difficult

11. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Well, I have a rather interesting problem... I'm trying to get into hacking games as a start to learn how to make Sonic games, so I thought I would start with SonED, since it seems to be the most easy place for idiots like me to start, and I thought I would start with Sonic 2, since it's highly recommended for idiots like me to start with since we can easily get help from other members if we need it.

The problem is, when I go to load Sonic 2 into the editor, it doesn't show up in my folder even though I know I placed it in there, because I downloaded it specifically to use with this program but it isn't showing up. Neither is the savestate. The file works fine when I load it into my emulator, and start playing it, it seems it's only unrecognizable to SonED.

The editor does, however, recognize other files in my folder, such as Tails in Sonic 1, so I tried loading that, as well as a savestate, and the program crashed. I've come to suspect the program cannot edit hacks of other games and this is the cause of the crash, however, the fact that it even showed up in the list says to me the program recognizes this as being a potential compatible file format. So I hovered my mouse off the other files it recognized (Sonic 3 and Tails in Sonic 1, as well as another hack of Sonic 2 and Sonic Crackers) and the file types were listed as BIN, but Sonic 2 is listed as SMD. Does this have to do with the file not even showing up?

I'm completely new to this, so I have no idea what any of these file types mean, and I assumed that all files that ran in emulators were ROM files, but now, I'm very confused.

Another problem I'm having is that it doesn't recognize savestates from anything but S3&K, the savestate's filetype is listed as SRM, I think. I'm not honestly sure which file is which, the game or the savestate, since Fusion recognizes these separately whenever I request to load the file of that tyle (game file and save file) so I'm taking a shot in the dark and assuming S3&K is the same filetype as the others. The Sonic 2 savestate is listed as GSX. Why the difference? And what can I do about this?

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Very probably. I'm not exactly sure about the SMD file format, but the BIN file format is a direct copy of the ROM itself. You should be able to find plenty of Sonic 2 binaries online, just keep looking.

SRM is usually the filetype for save data used by the Mega Drive, not a savestate of any kind. This is used by S3&K because it has a bult-in save feature. GSX files are savestates, although I think SonED needs specifically GS0 files, but I don't think there's any difference besides the name.

13. Volpino

Volpino

I've found the file and got the program to work.

Now I couldn't figure out how to edit the title screen or character sprites so I tried downloading SonMepED which will run and, apparently, load the sprites, but they look like colorful static whenever loaded and don't resemble the screenshot at all.

I thought it was because I loaded the ROM when I looked at the tutorial to resolve the problem, and downloaded a disassembled version of Sonic 2 that apparently is supposed to work with SonED2, but that didn't work rither, and looked more messed up. What am I doing wrong now?

14. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    You can edit the titlescren art in sonmaped, but not the mappings,you need Planed for that. And of course you need a split disam for sonic 2 if you want to edit the art.

15. Volpino

Volpino

... What?

First, on the last page I thought it said you could edit the mappings, second, I don't understand how that relates to what I'm supposed to do about my current problem (other than download another program) and the rest of it doesn't make any sense to me.

16. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I'm quite confused about your problem as well, so sorry if I'm talking about something completly different.

Are you trying to load art in SonMapEd from a screenshot? That simply doesn't work. You need to load the tile graphics, mappinga and palette manually. Also, as far as I know you can't edit the mappings in SonMapEd for the Title Screen, but only in PlaneED.

17. Volpino

Volpino

No, I'm trying to load them from the ROM itself... I don't know how to load them from a specific part of the ROM, and I tried downloading a disassembled part of the ROM, which didn't work, so I tried downloading SonED2 which, since the Wiki says it will only work with a disassembled ROM, so I thought it would disassemble it for me, which either it doesn't, or I just don't know how. :specialed:

But the second part is helpful, I wasn't sure what exactly he was talking about (I guessed another program.)

18. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    To split a ROM (not disassembling it) you need to put your Sonic 2 ROM in your downloaded disassembly and rename it to s2.bin. After that click split.bat. The splitted files are all in seperat folders, well named and should be easy to put in SonMapEd.

19. Volpino

Volpino

Oh, that explains a lot. I downloaded the right thing, just didn't know how to use it. My bad. ^^'

Edit, when I did that and opened the split, it pulled up a command prompt and then crashed. I named the file s2.bin and put it in the same folder as the disassemble.

Never mind, that was my fault, might have been a typo since renaming it fixed the problem.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    For the sake of reference, I'll post it here: SMD is the format used by the old dumping utility Super Magic Drive, popular in Hong Kong during the 90s. Due to how the dumper worked (the way it read the bits and how much RAM it had), it splits the ROMs weirdly - essentially, it's 16kb blocks where the odd bytes of that block are at the beginning and the even ones at the end, so a ROM that say looks like this (length shortened for clarity):

01 02 01 02 01 02 01 02 01 02

Would become this:

01 01 01 01 01 02 02 02 02 02

In other words, you'd need to convert it back to a .bin (also found online as the pointless renamed extension of .gen) before being able to use it as a regular ROM for hacking purposes.