don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Edit son_lzuw for labyrinth zone underwater pallete, and son_sbzuw for sbz3 underwater colours. It usually should be a bit darker than the original colours, but is mixed with the UW palette. So if most underwater palette in LZ is green, try getting a green shade to your character.

2. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    Oh I see, I'll try that I guess, I tried making it greenish but for some reason didn't work well

3. Branch offset </138> out of range at address...

This is the error message I get when using the goggle monitor tutorial.

Code (Text):
    1. Obj2E_ChkS:
    2.         cmpi.b    #7,d0    ; does monitor contain 'S'
    3.         bne.s    Obj2E_ChkGoggles    ; if not, branch to Goggle code
    4.         nop
    6. Obj2E_ChkGoggles:
    7.         cmpi.b    #8,d0    ; does monitor contain Goggles?
    8.         bne.s    Obj2E_ChkEnd    ; if not, branch to ChkEnd
    9.         move.b    #1,($FFFFFFFB).w; move 1 to the goggle check
    11. Obj2E_ChkEnd:
    12.         rts

4. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Probably a stupid question, but would someone mind explaining Solid Angles to me? You know what it's like, when you have Sonic simply walking up a 45 degree slope with no problem. :P

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I hate branch out of range errors... but you should check this thread out, it explains how to fix branch out of range errors I hope this helps. ^^

6. This should solve the problem. Thank you very much! I won't be tweaking on it again until tommorow evening so if I don't have any joy with this, I'll pm you if you don't mind? :)

Code (Text):
    1. Obj72_Main:            ; XREF: Obj72_Index
    2.         addq.b    #2,$24(a0)
    3.         move.b    $28(a0),d0
    4.         add.w    d0,d0
    5.         andi.w    #$1E,d0
    6.         lea    Obj72_Data(pc),a2
    7.         adda.w    (a2,d0.w),a2
    8.         move.w    (a2)+,$3A(a0)
    9.         move.l    a2,$3C(a0)
    10.         move.w    (a2)+,$36(a0)
    11.         move.w    (a2)+,$38(a0)
    The line of error is the line directly below this, on an empty line.

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I don't know why, but I'm unable to play the no flickies hack of Sonic 3D Blast without getting the blue screen of death on Kega Fusion. :/ The program also says the game is a bad rom. Has anyone else had these problems?

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I've had no problems. Have you tried redownloading the ROM/Fusion?

9. Willie

Willie

No, but I have had no problems with Fusion in the past and I don't know how redownloading the rom would help the situation. :/

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    If you have issues with Kega try using another emulator, such as Gens/GS.

11. Willie

Willie

Compared to Kega Fusion, Gens sucks. >_>

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well, it may be a faulty download. Sometimes bits get lost in the download. Just re-download and see if it helps.

13. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Gens alone is unsatisfactory. Gens/GS, on the other hand, is much more accurate to actual hardware than regular Gens. It's maintained by our very own GerbilSoft, and can be found in the community project section. I'd definately reccomend it.

For your problem, however, I'd suggest re-downloading the ROM. I've had no problems loading the ROM in Kega Fusion in the past, so it must be a faulty download. :)

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    How do you change the size of a rom?

I've cleared out some music tracks from S3K, and now I have all these 00 bytes that are taking up space. I'd like to get the rom under 3.5 megabytes.

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The 00 bytes are padding. The MegaDrive can only read ROMs whose lengths are a power of 2.

You could truncate the ROM, though. Most emulators will work fine with ROMs with incorrect lengths.

16. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Mind telling me how to do that?

Sorry if my words earlier are confusing, I'm so used to Pokemon rom-hacking.

All I want to do is remove all unused bytes, thus changing the size of the rom.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well, it will depend on your hex editor. I'm not sure of the quickest way of doing it, but in xvi32, you can simply go to the end of the ROM and hold down DELETE.

18. Stupid question time, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Why are there so few Sonic 3/S3&K hacks? Implementing new characters/palettes etc seem to be a constant thing for 1 and 2 but nothing for 3

If someone could either prove me wrong and provide links to some good sonic 3 hacks then that would be awesome.

Also, I remember a little hack a while back that basically ported Angel Island and I think Ice Cap into Sonic 2, does anyone have this still?

19. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    S3K is a much more complicated game and we don't have the whole engine documented, not to mention S3K has a lot of character specific hacks and optimizations (shared mappings, etc.). Documenting everything will take time, but it's being done.

20. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    That's most likley becase there is no split disassembly like there is for S1 and S2. Even though there is a file that can be edited and assembled, it's bloddy huge of 12MB and only like 2% labeled and commented (however, the stuff which is labled, is good for people who want to port things, like the code for the elemental shields). Besides that, it seems that S3 is using a completly different engine when it comes to coding. Unlike the old games, there are multiple error exeptions instead of just one, which somehow causes problems.
    But yeah, once there will be a split disassembly, the number of hacks would go up, but it won't be a groundbreaking number like the other games for sure, as they are much more "explored" and easier to work with, well, at least for now.

EDIT: Beaten by Andlabs. ._.