don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Perhaps it's because you're trying to edit the mappings as tile graphics.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I think MainMemory has a point, also is it compressed? because you may have to decompress it to alter it.

3. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Well, I was wondering about something: I always use ObjHitFloor to find the floor location, which is being put in d1 after the process of the routine is done. Today I was looking up that routine and found a bsr to FindFloor. Would there be any difference between those two routines (I.e. what is ObjHitFloor additionally doing)? Lack of comments made it hard for me to find that out.

4. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    The Sega logo use Enigma mappings.

Use PlaneED to edit them.

5. Madness

Madness

I'm fireing my OVER 9000 laser!!!
    Twinkle Snow Zone
    Sonic 1 x internet memes = Facepalm Zone (be prepared for Rick Astley, The King, Weegee, Spiked Wall Man, ...)
    The Sega Data Compressor
    Kosinski:don't work
    Enigma:Tile Layer Pro crashes
    Nemesis:don't work
    Saxman:don't work
    PlaneED:the most epic blue screen of death I ever saw (25 sec.) and after that the booting was three times longer

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    Oh hmm, would you mind maybe sharing the file with us so we could take a look at it? We might be able to find out what's up with it.

7. Madness

Madness

Twinkle Snow Zone
    Sonic 1 x internet memes = Facepalm Zone (be prepared for Rick Astley, The King, Weegee, Spiked Wall Man, ...)
  8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    It's compressed in enigma format and is a mapping file for the VDP, if you wanna edit the art itself:

In "artnem" there's a shitload of art files, they are all compressed in Nemesis format (Obviously the name artnem gives that away), the file you're looking for in "artnem" is "Sega Logo.bin", decompress it (Nemesis) and edit to your likings, when you're done, just simply recompress it and put it back in "artnem" and replace the old one.

If you want to edit the mappings to the Sega Logo, then that file you had originally is the one you need to edit, it's in Enigma format, so it needs decompressing, to edit the mappings you'll need a hex editor for editing the individual values.

Although I do recall a program written by qiuu found here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...t=0&start=0 which from what I remember could help edit mappings more easily, good luck!

9. T-Rae

T-Rae

Tryin' to get back into Sonic hacking... Member
    Maryland
    none ATM
    Two things,

I'm having a problem with my custom background that I made and imported into SonED2. It looks fine in SonED2 but ingame, the FG/BG looks like this...
    [​IMG]
    Also, the title screen has a similar problem also.
    [​IMG]

Is there anyway I can solve these problems? Also, the custom background seems to stop at a certain spot in the level. The scrolling sky works but the middle part of the background seems to stop at a certain point.

10. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Are you sure you followed both, this and this tutorial?

11. T-Rae

T-Rae

Maryland
    none ATM
    Thanks again Seibi,

There were a couple of things that I have done wrong from the looks of the tutorial (the background is looking a little better now). But, the flowers aren't where they're supposed to be, the water part is still showing as garbled graphics, and the background stops scrolling at a certain point in the level.

12. Madness

Madness

Twinkle Snow Zone
    I want to swap the SEGA logo with SonMapEd (I have artnem_u\segalogo.bin, mapeni\segalogo.bin, pallet\sega1.bin, pallet\sega2.bin and pallet\sega_bg.bin) I try to load them, but it just shows the messed up version in the bottom and a blank screen on the top... I've done it like in the SonMapEd-tutorial, but it doesn't work. Can someone make a tutorial how to change this screen with a bmp file?

13. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Sounds like there is too much art going on, if you want to fix it your gonna have to either revert back to the orignal bg, or find some tiles to deleate.

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Quick question, how would I make the signpost load at a different place in Sonic 2? I've made a new level, and got a place to where I want the act to end, though the post flings me to the end. Is there some place I need to make a location for?

15. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    You need to find the end location for that act and change it to where the signpost object is

16. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    SonMapEd doesn't work with plane mappings, it has been made for sprite mappings only (I.e. anything in the _maps folder). You are FORCED to use PlaneED.

(Btw, yesterday you were talking to me on MSN, but because everything was acting gay it didn't send you the messages. If you still have trouble, let's do it on PM please.)

17. T-Rae

T-Rae

Maryland
    none ATM
    I'm having a problem with GHZs flowers. Since, I have edited the art, the animated flowers that are in GHZ have now been changed to checkered tiles as they look like in SonED. Is there a way to fix this?

18. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    If you changed the tiles in SonED2, I'm not sure how you're supposed to fix it, but you'll have to find a way to restore the tiles to what they were previously (maybe you can try deleting the checkered tiles if they're at the end of the list; whatever you do, you should make a back-up). The animated tiles are not part of the level's tiles, so SonED2 adds filler tiles. The game loads the animated art dynamically during the game.

The art for the animated flowers is in artkos. If you didn't edit that, then make your changes there instead.

19. Madness

Madness

Twinkle Snow Zone
    Where can I find the Sonic Retro screen files and how can I add it (or maybe swap it with the Sonic Team presents... screen)?

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    From what I was told once, you need to be a "Tech Member" to be able to use the SonicRetro splash screen, I donno if that's true or not though. But I guess it makes sense in a way.