don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yvan

Yvan

France
    Wow, my work is approved, this is cool! Thanks you all, guys :argh:

So here I corrected Grounder, according to Vincent's suggestions:

[​IMG]

Now, for the wheel, I think I will make something based on this official art:

[​IMG]

Also, does my Grounder need more work on the shadings?

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Your work is really cool and the shading system is almost perfect. :argh:

I would love to see some more definition with mechanical parts into that area.
    Also try adding two bolts more on the chest, like the artwork hints!

3. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Regarding the grounder:

I love the shading on the tracks - you did an amazing job really.
    But - I think you should go onto the other frames.
    Do a base version of all of them - then update them all bit by bit.

4. Mindchamber

Mindchamber

Ok my second crack at MetalSonic.

I tried to address what everyone mentioned

judging by the front shot of the orginal sprite, these are more blade like, than cone like like sonics quils so I didnt round out the shading too much, but I did round sharpen the edges and match the top blade to the contour of his head as well as shorten out the bottom

shrunk all the screws, except for the ones on the chest and head.

done, I also brought out his brow more as he does have an over lapping brow and a more evil look.
    I removed any extra black that I may have added and only kept the black that was in the original sprite, I can take more black away but Im afraid he will end up having a softer less metallic look.
    shoes and muzzle fix, and the muzzle is also aligned to the nose

I removed the caution sticker and added a bolt to give it a more plate feel, also the unconnected tube seems to actually a spring after looking at the other angles he does have springlike shock absorbers visible.
    added the triangle shadow and removed the secondary lighsource so as to remove the roundy look his head was getting

lol fingers are back

[​IMG]

5. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
  6. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    [​IMG]
    Other than that it looks amazing! However, the first spike coming out of his head... shouldnt it be more smooth? It looks a bit jagged in the middle.

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Very nice improvements MindChamber. Here's my thoughts:

-The highlight you had on the eye in the previous version was a nice touch, can you restore that?
    -The dividing mark (indent?) between the two plate areas on the forehead should also be more defined as it approaches the eye - as it is right now it virtually disappears in comparison to the original.
    -Nothing has been done to add more shading to the wheels yet. We've got the colors to play with, so feel free to get creative with them!

My only other suggestion is a minor one - I'd care to see some more shading behind the highlight on the side of the head where the lighter grey gives way to the darker contrast.

8. Mindchamber

Mindchamber

[​IMG]

rounded the top blade,

returned the dividing line back to the eye.
    removed the brow, and highlight

flattened out the right shoulder,
    he does have 3 fingers on his left hand its covered in shadow but I can try to make it more obvious

sorry I didnt highlight the eye before because victor said not to.

Thats cause no one had anything to say about them till now :D

thats usually what gets me in trouble :-p

in any case rim highlighted and added treads

also added an eerie red glow for Growler

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    That is *fantastic* work there, you're doing brilliantly!

Maybe you could try seeing what the glow looks like just a little bit redder? - perhaps to show its evilness more, mwahahaaa

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Your art is now approved Mindchamber. Thanks again for the amazing work you've done on Mecha Sonic! Approval shouldn't be taken as 'completion' however. Every piece we consider to be official we still encourage and look for updates to. That said, if you come up with anything else you'd like to experiment with, you have a green light from myself and the staff members. Just please remember to post all updates for critique.

11. Mindchamber

Mindchamber

Yay, *does the girlieclap* sweet I will be posting another one with cleaner lines before moving on to the next frame

12. Woot

Woot

Fantastic work Mindchamber, I love the subtle details you've added, such as the tracks on the tires.

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Nice skills and artistic additions, awesome! :)

Before completing and uploading it to the database, there is something that needs to be fixed for being perfectly "Ready" into our engine:
    1. When you draw HD frames, source file at 100% scale must have the same dimension of original 4X frame.
      [*]Make the shades you add with photoshop directly in the vector file
      . Getting uniform shadings in following animations is a must for high quality results.
    2. Both shoes must be perfectly aligned at a fixed ground line. (to avoid garbled edges caused by semitransparent pixels)
      *Create a long line, place it under shoes and than make it a locked guide so all your art will share the same ground coordinates.
    My art suggestions are:

-Some contrast on the outer edges of right arm and shoulder (and the left hand's finger, the one partially covered)
    -As you too noticed, there are still some black thicker lines as outlines, which causes little clash with character art. (I.e. such as the chest)

Again, Great work.

15. ZOPR

ZOPR

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Truly awesome, but really, it looks like it's missing a finger.

17. Mindchamber

Mindchamber

just to make sure, the mechaSonic I was linked from this site, was it already set to x4 scale? because thats the scale I have been working in

I only add blur and dodge from photoshop onto the sprite, all the shading and artwork is done in flash, as long as the shading in vector is done exactly the same, the blurring shouldnt cause any inconsistancies. Unless you simply just want the shading done in vector only, personally though, that might end up making it to gradient-y

so make the right arm and shoulder darker? I simply give it darker outline?

are you refering to the blackoutline by the right shoulder? I definitely will be thinning that out

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the way, are you making the spikes as a separate sprite, or are they integrated with the head and body?

This might be something relevant to be taken into account, depending on how is the engine going to load the graphics for it.

19. Mindchamber

Mindchamber

separate basically it will be overlaid onto the original sprite sheet exactly unless otherwise stated

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Mindchamber, when I talked with Vincent about the highlighting around the eye, he is fine with it so long as it's not a filter being used to create it.

The version you were using from the database is 4x, so yours should be correctly scaled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.